The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate download.cnet.com)

Satchman

RE: The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate down

Post by Satchman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:40 am

<quote user="yogaas">
Ненавижу рекламное ПО. Никогда не буду использовать CNET. Есть и другие, лучшие варианты!
[/quote]

Thanks everyone for your comments on the PUPS and embedded malware at Cnet. But you need to be sure to rate it down. Remember with WOT that comments, no matter how negative do not affect ratings. Use the sliders to get the rating down. Even if we could work together as a community to get the Cnet rating to dip to Yellow, it would be a start of an accurate rating for that site. Certainly more realistic than the green rating it has had for the last eight years!

Satch

williKi

Post by williKi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Just for grins, I typed "Registry Cleaner" into Google search, and guess what came up?

download.cnet.com/s/registry-cleaner/

Hat33

Post by Hat33 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:51 am

Visiting Cnet, even just to downvote stills feels wrong. I've had that site on a personal blacklist for quite some time.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:48 pm

<quote user="hat33">
Visiting Cnet, even just to downvote stills feels wrong. I've had that site on a personal blacklist for quite some time.
[/quote]

Greetings,

If Cnet removes the malware and PUPS from their downloads, only than would it be wrong to visit them and downgrade the site's Trustworthiness color bar. However, note that Cnet has shown no intention of removing the PUPS or malware from their downloads. When web safety is sacrificed by a website just to make money with harmful downloads,, that site cannot be trusted to provide a safe web experience for those who visit the page.

As WOT is a web site safety evaluating community, it is our job to provide the most accurate trustworthy ratings we can by working together to rate site reputations. With known evidence of malware embedded in Cnet's downloads, the Green composite rating for Cnet.com makes My WOT look bad, because the color composite rating for Cnet.com does not reflect the current level of Trust for that site.

Satch

Myxt

RE: download.cnet.com

Post by Myxt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:41 pm

<quote user="satchman">
As WOT is a web site safety evaluating community,
(1) it is our job to provide the most accurate trustworthy ratings we can
(2) by working together to rate site reputations.
With known evidence of malware embedded in Cnet's downloads,
(3) the Green composite rating for Cnet.com makes My WOT look bad,
(4) because the color composite rating for Cnet.com does not reflect the current level of Trust for that site.
[/quote]

I must respectfully disagree.

First up, the scorecard for download.cnet.com already has 776 comments and likely a *much* larger number of ratings; therefore its crowd-sourced, public trust score (what WoT is all about) is massively reinforced as it is and unlikely to change much, no matter how long and how often this topic is bumped.

(3) Its current green score only makes WoT look bad to those who dislike the site; whereas in fact the score demonstrates that WoT accurately reflects the public's trust of the site (what WoT is all about) - however wise the public may be. It's an old saw repeated endlessly in the Forum: insisting that others, or the WoT system itself, conform to one's views, or blaming them if they don't.

(2) The phrase "working together" has a variety of applications: some are wholesome, even sublime, others not so. Let us not confabulate a wholesome idea with herd behavior.

(1)(4) This would be according to *whom*, exactly?

Ivan Blue

Post by Ivan Blue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 pm

It is ironic how on the RHS of the link you posted. They offer a host of adware cleaners and malware removal tools...