Hashtags

Sami

Hashtags

Post by Sami » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:12 pm

As of today, you can start using #hashtags in your comments. Read more from our blog post.

Here are examples of some of the hashtags for classifying sites with bad reputation that we think might be useful for WOT users.

As always it is a good practise to point to some proof or evidence in the comment text besides having a hashtag unless the risk or problem with the site is easy to identify even for non-technology savvy users of WOT service. New users of WOT also often decide whether to trust WOT ratings or not based on the quality of the comments. In this respect the worst is a site having a bad reputation without an appropriate comment or even a reason (category) selected by the rater.

#smsscam - A scam that is based on visitor subscribing to premium SMS service, often by just submitting their mobile phone number to participate a survey or lottery. Different types in different countries. E.g. http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/ind ... riviaScams

#workathomescam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work-at-home_scheme

#getrichquick - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get-rich-quick_scheme

#ponzi - Specific type of a get rich quick scheme and pyramid scheme. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

#pyramidscam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

#counterfeit - Sales of counterfeit products

#compromised - Site has been hacked / compromised and additionally could be therefore distributing malware or participating in botnet sending email spam. In a case of spam for example it’s important to make a distinction that the site in question is not doing (being) spamvertised but rather is just temporarily compromised. Spamvertising is a usually seen as a long term reputation problem, whereas a compromised site might be a good reputable site once it’s fixed, though obviously the fact that they were compromised originally is a risk factor.

#spamvertised - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamvertising

#weightlossscam - This is a bit harder one to detect because there is also some solid information and products that can support weight loss, a good link to explain some of nuances is http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/ind ... tLossScams

#searchtoolbar - Site which installs a search toolbar to browser and / or resets user home page and / or default search engine. Many of these belong to PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) category i.e. meaning that there is typically very little or no value at all for the user from the use of alternative search provider.

RE: Hashtags

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Hashtags believed to have originated on Twitter but, interestingly enough, it is not a Twitter function. Some believe it began when the broken plane luckily landed in the Hudson River in early 2009, some Twitter user wrote a post and added #flight1549 to it. I have no idea who this person was, but somebody else would have read it and when he posted something about the incident, added #flight1549 to HIS tweet
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hashtag
Thus, the hashtag was born (or at least became more popular as users recognized its value).
htxxtp://www.camoinassociates.com/blog/?tag=/hashtag
That is how I remembered it @Wikipedia, but is not longer there, but,is that important or beneficial to the users of WOT, besides the dissocial nature ofTwitter or Instagram?
Hashtags, will fade away as a new generation of users, find another way to distinguish themselves, from the # generation

I have seen commercials in which they,use the numeral or pound function to a point that you wonder, if they are thinking at all
Would it make a difference, if I were to use %, ^, $, * in front of $cammer, *spammer, &ponzy, instead of #?
But if WOT, wants to improve how it serves it's users, we have the scorecard as a good example
We need more changes to the scorecard, when it comes to a good site, we only have one definition, which is truly a shame because it stays in the positive / neutral, I believe that good is positive and not an ambivalent definition as neutral
I have seen many new users, posting "other" "opinion", and even "online tracking" in their believes that this would help increase their score
I have seen great improvements in the scorecard , but we need more improvements than adding # to our comments
My two #

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:11 pm

If WOT's announcement about hashtags in Russian ("Новости WOT на русском") is any indication, the translation services tend to give up when a hashtag is encountered. When I copied the article into the text-area of the form at translate.google.com, only the hash sign alone was rendered in the English translation for each hashtag. When I view the WOT site, for some reason, the optional Yandex translation which WOT usually provides is missing for that article. Is that a #bug ?

#flour, #butter, #eggs, #sugar

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 pm

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:11 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
If WOT's announcement about hashtags in Russian ("Новости WOT на русском") is any indication, the translation services tend to give up when a hashtag is encountered. Is that a #bug ?
[/quote]

Seems like a #bug indeed.

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:49 am

<quote user="superhero58">
We need more changes to the scorecard, when it comes to a good site, we only have one definition, which is truly a shame because it stays in the positive / neutral, I believe that good is positive and not an ambivalent definition as neutral
[/quote]

There is a strong reason why it is made like that - user interface limitations. There is simply not enough space to put everything we want on the screen, and even if we would do that, high chances that it will increase cognitive overload. Even now the UI is overly complicated.

#Tags are exactly the way to provide more information for good website: whether you would like to tell a site is #informative or about #cycling or just #useless.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:07 pm

There is a strong reason why it is made like that - user interface limitations. There is simply not enough space to put everything we want on the screen, and even if we would do that, high chances that it will increase cognitive overload. Even now the UI is overly complicated.
Is a lot better than before, but you mentioned [cite]cognitive overload[/cite] I was not aware, until now about the use of this concept of computer coding
http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Cognitiv ... Definition
As it is,is still too crowded or as a friend would say, TMI or too much information , but I feel that removing redundant functions, a better User Interface, can be accomplished
My opinion of the hashtag, is that beyond making more ignoramus in our society, there is also the risk of opening a vulnerability that can be exploited or highjacked, as I can tell by looking at the URL, mark my words, it would happen
There is also contradictions, comments were not important , but now they are or maybe they are not
Zero tolerance for manipulation
"WOT does not tolerate manipulation and a user account can be banned without prior notice if such behavior is detected. For example, creating more than one user account, paying people to rate your site, or using other unethical ways to gather good ratings are considered as manipulation"
https://www.mywot.com/en/guidelines
There are so many micro workers, getting paid or asked to post positive and, despite flagging them, they remain manipulating WOT.

Some moderators, will interrupt a conversation, just to push their opinions on you, forgetting that they volunteered to remove spam or when a situation, was getting our control due to differences of opinions and if you complain, they "hide" your post
Their perceived power is abusive and they expect you to think, like they do For example, one occasion that I was rating, a site that provided jobs, in the U.S, the innuendo was that my original language, was Spanish and it should be someone else, though I am bilingual and worked most of my adult life in the U.S

There is also, your opinions that are not political correct, like the sites that are cults, like the Scientologists
Kraft a great member, have to leave WOT because of the abuse by those, who did not agree with our lists about those sites

My point is that hash is not that important, compared to problems that are being ignored
I say this a great deal deal of respect, but I will never be a "yes man" in virtual or real life, I hope that these problems are fixed as I believe in the work of WOT of keeping the net safe, based in trust and this based in a free opinion
Thank you, for your time

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Here are the currently available Russian hashtags along with their translations by Google and Yandex. I only understand what MLM and pyramid mean. Please, would someone provide clearer translations?

#дорвей - doorway
#млм - mlm
#пирамида - pyramid
#смсподписка - smspodpiska (SMS subscription?)
#ссылкопомойка - ssylkopomoyka (link scrapyard?)

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I suppose this might replace what I've been using in the Other rating category for [green]Good[/green] sites.

I have been using:

/* Useful / Informative */
/* Entertaining */
/* Good customer experience */

Which can be replaced as:
#Useful
#Informative
#Entertaining
#HappyCustomer

After all, every site with a good/Excellent reputation is inferred as a "good site" by it's reputation.

This would make for a nice wiki article: Hashtag
something simple like:
Positive comment reviews
#Useful - for sites offering user interaction; ex: archive.org | wikipedia.org
#Informative - for sites having good reference towards one or more subjects; ex: thesaurus.com
#Entertaining - sites providing amusement or enjoyment; ex: laurel-and-hardy.net WOT
#HappyCustomer - sites which you have experienced a good customer experience; ex: paywithisis.com

@ Sami
Curious concerning the #hashtag search facility, can more than 1 #hashtag be included in a comment?
If so, should there be a space between them or is it OK to blend them?
#hash1 #hash2 | #hash1#hash2

[edit]
Wiki page created: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Hashtag

The New Kid

Post by The New Kid » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 am

There's at least 100 different #workathome scams on the radio. Even endorsed by big name talk show hosts. #murica