User rating and comment

Satchman

RE: User rating and comment

Post by Satchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:11 pm

<quote user="jpzip">
Isn't it so that - with this change or without this change - comments play a significant role in answering "Why?". There are very few systems in the world that can get away with not answering that question. Knowing that the meaning of life is 42 just don't cut it for most people and they start seeking for a better answer.

And, hence, in our case, as most WOT-rated Web sites do have at least one comment, the comments provide the de facto explanation, whether we mean it that way or not. And, as AlphaCentauri points out, those commentators do sometimes get unjust blame for completing this "explanation paperwork".

Maybe I am overexposed to the other review sites, but I am tempted to think that quite many WOT users - and I am now not talking about the special interest group of the particular web site owner and his/her buddies - actually read the scorecard the following way:

- look at overall reputation ("topline summary")
- read one comment that gives the supporting evidence
- if this "feels right" accept and move on
- if this "feels not quite right", read one opposite comment to establish the both ends of the opinion spectrum
- read more to form own opinion or alternatively conclude that the review is likely all over the place and hence useless.

If it was so, wouldn't it make sense to show the comment with the actual rating too? Then readers could very easily map the particular comment within the spectrum of given reputations (maybe we could even change the user interface accordingly).

So the point would not be to show how exactly the reputation is calculated or to expose people who opt to review non-publicly. But this way, we would be able to give more understandable samples about how different people felt about the site.

p.s. Let me quickly introduce myself. I am the new guy heading WOT
[/quote]

Welcome!

Thanks for your help and new leadership within the WOT Community! Interesting ideas above!

Satch

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 am

<quote user="jpzip">So the point would not be to show how exactly the reputation is calculated or to expose people who opt to review non-publicly. But this way, we would be able to give more understandable samples about how different people felt about the site.. [/quote]
I just don't see the need to change the current system. I can mention that I rated "red" or "green" or "yellow" in my comment if I choose to. But I don't want to be denied the ability to have a secret rating like everyone else just because I left a comment. I would just stop leaving comments for a lot of sites where I provide detailed information at present.

<quote user="jpzip"> p.s. Let me quickly introduce myself. I am the new guy heading WOT
[/quote]

Welcome!

Now if you really want to change something, I'll take a ticket to get in line to give suggestions ;)

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 am

<quote user="alphacentauri"> But I don't want to be denied the ability to have a secret rating like everyone else just because I left a comment. I would just stop leaving comments for a lot of sites where I provide detailed information at present.
[/quote]

I am in total agreement with this. I like being able to rate sites anonymously for a variety of reasons, and don't want that ability taken away. I'm already on enough "PII hit lists" as it is.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 am

[√] Show my rating with my comment.
EDIT: That's not a vote here, it's an option on the scorecard.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 am

<quote user="myxt">
[/quote]
I originally read your statement incorrectly Myxt. I deleted my original comment as now that I actually comprehend what you are saying I think that's an excellent solution :)

Timo

Post by Timo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:42 am

<quote user="myxt">
[/quote]

Although this would probably be acceptable option it would make rating process even more complicated then it already is. On scorecard there would be rating on some comments and not others. Again it would create more problems that solve.

I do understand that most of you feel that showing the rating in any form is big no-no, because of the history of the service. I would say that most of site owners already make assumption that rating is bad (0) if there is even single bad category. It would be good to see that not everyone of us rates like it. We do rate with full scale and it's one of the strong points of the community.

With rating information we could start using microformats on our scorecard, especially this one http://microformats.org/wiki/hReview . Then reviews would be more easily found on search engines and more people would be protected.

Olivier.Marmini

Post by Olivier.Marmini » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm

I think showing the exact rating would be better, but lowering the range of scores is also necessary for it to work. How do you explain the difference between 87 and 88? You can't rightly justify the nuance between the two. A ten-point scale would be much better. The distinction between a 7 and an 8 is much clearer.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 pm

<quote user="timo">
Then reviews would be more easily found on search engines and more people would be protected.
[/quote]

At this point, why do not you make comments nameless? (the user names will not be displayed I mean)
I do not see who would go to read comments while researching via google/yahoo/bing etc etc, the most of people see a kind of traffic light, when a trusted source lists a site, wot users generally get also an additional warning.
Only site owners are afraid of comments.

and more people would be protected.

who will protect us active contributors then?;)

<quote user="jpzip">
p.s. Let me quickly introduce myself. I am the new guy heading WOT
[/quote]

Welcome aboard!

<quote user="notbuyingit">
Would it kill you every once in a while to add a little splash of fuchsia, puce, mauve or teal?
[/quote]

Why not à pois as well ;)

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:43 pm

@jpzip =
Welcome to WOT and I hope you stay
I will like to read more in depth, what you have said and the original topic by Timo
Just a brief statement, before I give my opinion
It makes no difference how you present the opinion to a scammer / spammer
He or she, will never be satisfied with the facts / opinion , never!
On the other hand, if the owner of a site,is an honest individual, he or she will follow the guidelines to a better reputation because it makes sense, if you want to make money, to be trusted
That is a fact of life!
Another point is that, if I were to go a store and find that the service is lousy and I discuss the matter with the manager, I will expect that my name is not mentioned and he/she deals with a favor than I am doing to her company
If he/she were to reveal my identity, I will not longer visit that store
The other fact, is that the majorities of the websites on the internet are rogue, here is an example of the pharmacies online
Many people will say, well is because is the U.S.A government, but when they try to sell to the U.S,A, they are violating the U.S law and are not longer having a good reputation
36,190 are active Internet pharmacies

213 are legitimate (0.6%)

1,831 are potentially legitimate (5.1%)

34,146 are not legitimate
http://www.legitscript.com
I have not idea, of what percentage of the websites are ran by criminals / spammers and so on, but my point is that if you truly expect each member to leave a comment after rating, you are in for a big surprise, though not a pleasant one, as to the total sites rated in order to make WOT a truly formidable weapon to keep the net safe , in which case WOT will have a bad reputation
I need to rest, and hopefully I could give you a better assessment of this topic
Excuse my orthography,but I am too tired to proof read, what I wrote
Oh yeah
Knowing that the meaning of life is 42 just don't cut it for most people and they start seeking for a better answer.
I enjoyed the book, but I never agreed with 42 ....... Love is :-)

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 am

<quote user="timo">
Although this would probably be acceptable option it would make rating process even more complicated then it already is. On scorecard there would be rating on some comments and not others. Again it would create more problems that solve. [/quote]
But there will be also be comments with some ratings but not others; it will just be hidden. It could create even more confusion. We already have a lot of trouble convincing site owners that the people who left comments are not the only ones who rated. ("Why is Facebook green when all the comments are red? WOT is a scam!" etc.) If the scorecard appears to present a 1:1 correlation between comments and ratings, our job gets harder.

<quote user="timo">I do understand that most of you feel that showing the rating in any form is big no-no, because of the history of the service. I would say that most of site owners already make assumption that rating is bad (0) if there is even single bad category. It would be good to see that not everyone of us rates like it. We do rate with full scale and it's one of the strong points of the community. [/quote]
We rate some sites with a full scale, but honestly, most of the reason I come here is when I uncover a dangerous site or get spam for a site. They are getting zeros. As far as good sites with technical problems, I don't find the 0-100 scale very useful, because it simultaneously provides too much detail and not enough. People assume their site started with a 100% rating and was pulled down by ratings of less than 100.

If you want to clarify the full-scale part, change the scale from all positive to a negative to zero to positive scale. It's easier to conceptualize that one's site starts with a rating of average (zero) and has to be pulled up by good ratings.

<quote user="timo">With rating information we could start using microformats on our scorecard, especially this one http://microformats.org/wiki/hReview . Then reviews would be more easily found on search engines and more people would be protected.
[/quote]
I didn't understand what they were talking about in that link as far as what a microformat is or is meant to accomplish. Is there a tl;dr for non-programmer folks?