User rating and comment

RE: User rating and comment

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:07 am

Timo - I don't trust has become I dont't trust - kindly rectify it
He just wanted to know, if anyone was paying attention :-)
Good eyes, not even Heidi caught it :O

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:07 am

<quote user="rmn">My personal wishlist would be to have 2 separated comment fields:
1) a common/public comment field (status quo now)
2) a personal note field with the capability to store more information, not visible to the public.[/quote]I also got this idea. At times there are pending or past issues which I don't want to forget, but they are not suitable for public comment.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 am

Dear WOT,

I mentioned this in the blog about the update, but just wanted to let all know that a lot of the "Agree"/Disagree" hands up/down counters have been reset to zero with this update.

Satch

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:23 am

<quote user="c۞g">I just realized
When displaying users rating masked as "I do not" trust.
If the scorecard is red and has 1 reliable user with a comment displaying "I do not trust"
while the scorecard may have a dozen "I trust" micro-worker or unreliable (new user) comments.
The person who made the mistake of commenting and rating red is to be at blame for the site's reputation although there may be a dozen users who rated poorly and did not leave a comment.

This results in unfair "finger pointing"
People need to understand that WOT is a Meritocracy and comments are not ratings, nor should they stand out as if they were.[/quote]Perhaps the scorecard could simply show two totals > X user ratings, Y user comments
This would deflate these accusations before they become tangential mantras.

EDIT: Of course, if you are the only rater-commenter and the score has gone deep green or red, then it proves the owner's suspicion: that he should not antagonize you.

Timo

Post by Timo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:56 am

<quote user="drsumit">
Timo - I don't trust has become I dont't trust - kindly rectify it

[/quote]

Good catch. Spelling has been fixed.

Timo

Post by Timo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:57 am

<quote user="satchman">
Dear WOT,

I mentioned this in the blog about the update, but just wanted to let all know that a lot of the "Agree"/Disagree" hands up/down counters have been reset to zero with this update.

Satch
[/quote]

This change doesn't affect on "Agree/Disagree" votes at all. Can you give me examples where it has happened so I can start investigating the issue.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 pm

<quote user="timo">
This change doesn't affect on "Agree/Disagree" votes at all. Can you give me examples where it has happened so I can start investigating the issue.
[/quote]

Everything is back now like it should be. Must of been a fluke of some kind yesterday.

Satch

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Awesome update!

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:29 am

<quote user="timo">Both of examples showed situation where category and rating contradict with each other. It would have been easy to limit users selection but we decided not to do it. It's up to users to select whatever they want even in cases when it doesn't make much sense. It gives us one additional signal for calculating user reputation. More information we have the more accurate reputations will be.[/quote]Upon reflection ...

Although this is certainly useful in calculating user reliability, in any case the contradiction remains on the scorecard indefinitely. This makes it more difficult for Joe Surfer to decide whether to visit a site - especially if this is the only visible comment/rating - and may cause him to doubt the usefulness of WoT.

From another perspective, inexperienced WoT members - especially those who do not speak English or Russian - may genuinely misunderstand the meanings and relationships of some rating categories.

It seems to me that limiting rating categories according to rating scale would alleviate both of these issues as well as being a good PR move in the long term.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:18 pm

I published this over at the topic about the problems with Cnet.

The new ratings update shows that people gave Cnet high My WOT ratings, but made negative comments about the site. The following below is why I think negative comments SHOULD impact ratings, just as positive comments should impact ratings: (Viiew "The Malicious CNet Downloads" thread for more details as an example of this.)

Published scorecard levels of trust are a great update to My WOT!

However, look at Cnet.com's/download section, some users have actually incorrectly rated the site as Trustworthy, while talking about the malware/virus problems in the comments! If these users are still active in the WOT system, perhaps they could be notified to change their original likely mistaken "good" rating to match up with the realistic negative comment.

This brings up a very important point. I believe that an update to My WOT is needed so that if a user comments negatively about a site, only suspicious or poor reasons should be made available to them. Furthermore, if a user comments good about about a site, than they should only be able to leave good comments.

What we have with some users is these sharp contrasting contradictions on sites such as Cnet. Bad ratings with good comments, or good comments with bad ratings create an oxymoron sharply contradicting the level of My WOT.

Contradictory ratings and comments don't strike a good balance for the WOT community. It's like saying. "My spouse and I love each other so much that we decided to get a divorce." WOT needs to strike a better balance between ratings and comments. We know that comments do not currently reflect ratings. Maybe in the future, they should.

Satch