eBay security compromised, users urged to change passwords

drsumit

RE: eBay security compromised, users urged to change passwords

Post by drsumit » Fri May 23, 2014 3:52 am

<quote user="evilfantasy">
I saw that this morning. I was kind of shocked that the change password process all took place on-site. That totally defeats the purpose. They should email you a reset password link.
[/quote]

They did send me a password reset link - http://prntscr.com/3lq76e

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Fri May 23, 2014 11:45 am

<quote user="drsumit">
They did send me a password reset link - http://prntscr.com/3lq76e[/quote]

That's good. Maybe they changed it later but I never left eBay when changing mine.

Post by Guest » Fri May 23, 2014 2:24 pm

<quote user="drsumit">
They did send me a password reset link - http://prntscr.com/3lq76e
[/quote]
The same here, I could log in, but I could not make a transaction until the password was reset , maybe Target and other companies that have found themselves in such predicament, learn something from eBay

I give them 5 stars!

NotBuyingIt

eBay security compromised, beware opportunistic phishing

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri May 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Brian Krebs (KrebsOnSecurity):
Most importantly, don’t re-use your eBay or PayPal password elsewhere. If you did that prior to today, it’s a good idea to change that password to something unique at the other sites that shared it. And be extra wary of phishing emails that spoof eBay and PayPal and ask you to click on some link or download some security tool; attackers are likely to capitalize on this incident to spread malware and to hijack accounts.
(Source: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/ebay-urges-password-changes-after-breach )

A440

Post by A440 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:21 pm

They sent me no link but did *finally* inform me that I should change my PW.
I checked the IP address of their mail as well.
I had already changed the PW two days before.

BubblesGump

Post by BubblesGump » Sat May 24, 2014 1:54 pm

<quote user="mrmagill">
Hmmm... saw that on TV. eBay, too. Who's next? I need some help:

OK, so I need even MORE complex passwords than I already use, and a different one for each of the many sites I go to online. Can I get a suggestion for a free, safe, password manager that can "follow" me (web based, with local file backup maybe?) wherever I go so its always available? Although my picture may not show it, I'm nearly 60 years old.. and -my- memory for remembering complex passwords isn't what it used to be...

Thanks in advance -
Mark
[/quote]

May I suggest Dashlane. The free version is very good. However, to sync across all devices requires the paid for version. It's not cost prohibitive though. Their Premium version is $29.99/year. I use and really like this program. Check it out.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat May 24, 2014 3:27 pm

The irony is that I had started using LastPass and changed the password a few days before this news came out, because of Heartbleed. It was easy to change it again with LastPass, though, since I don't have to worry about having access to the new password on multiple computers nor trying to remember which was the more recent password.

Not re-using passwords is the most important take-home message, though. Even if they manage to decrypt your password from ebay, it's no use to them if you've changed it on ebay and haven't used the same username/password combination anywhere else.

rmn

Post by rmn » Tue May 27, 2014 5:43 pm

I receive these emails, too. But have deleted my account some time ago and asked for deleting all of my personal data.
Shall I rate spam now ;)

(not a serious question)

liquid_dragon

Post by liquid_dragon » Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Unfortunately these problems are going to continue to be more frequent. All the systems that we enjoy are getting more and more complex. That complex leads to flaws and those flaws will lead to breaches.

My rules for on-line life:
1) Never post anything you wouldn't want published on the front page of the local paper
2) Never use the same password for two different sites
3) Use strong passwords - at least 16 characters, ideally random, with a mix of letters (lower and upper), numbers, special characters - use a password manager to keep track of them
4) Don't trust links or attachments in email, even if you know the person, until you verify they really sent you that email
5) Check all links in WOT before clicking or typing them