Best Free Antivirus?

MysteryFCM

RE: Best Free Antivirus?

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:20 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
The latest version is completely free, no nags, no toolbars, no obnoxious notifications:)
I have just installed it on my laptop with Win 8.1 Pro alongside MBAM, MBAE, Winpatrol and Sandboxie
[/quote]

Cheers for the heads up.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:32 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
Cheers for the heads up.
[/quote]

You're wecome

However they removed many features that Avira free had once

[url=http://it.tinypic.com?ref=1621z0g t=_blank][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/1621z0g.png[/img][/url]

i.e you cannot exclude riskware anymore

six processes running in background

[url=http://it.tinypic.com?ref=2mhs84w t=_blank][img]http://i62.tinypic.com/2mhs84w.png[/img][/url]

I'm not sure I'll keep it

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:57 pm

EEEEK!

Digital Capman

Post by Digital Capman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 am

I'm not trying to debunk anyone here, but it is this users honest opinion that having more than one AV is a good thing. Perhaps it is a good idea to have a second anti-virus software that will only run when you ask it to. Even Microsoft recommends using a 3rd party AV on top of theirs now.

hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-no-longer-supported/23d10ef7-eea7-41f1-9d0f-6341ba086e2b
This is just one link if you google "Microsoft recommends 3rd party Av" you'll find quite a few links.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 am

<quote user="digital capman">
I'm not trying to debunk anyone here, but it is this users honest opinion that having more than one AV is a good thing. Perhaps it is a good idea to have a second anti-virus software that will only run when you ask it to. Even Microsoft recommends using a 3rd party AV on top of theirs now.

hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-no-longer-supported/23d10ef7-eea7-41f1-9d0f-6341ba086e2b
This is just one link if you google "Microsoft recommends 3rd party Av" you'll find quite a few links.
[/quote]

No No No!

Using a third party AV DOES NOT MEAN ADDING A SECOND AV TO YOUR SYSTEM. Those articles are more for users running Windows XP. As Windows XP is no longer supported, a third party AV is probably better than using MSE because there are no more patches for the Windows XP OS. Second or third party use means that the person is using an AV product that is non-MS. BUT has always removed any competing anti-virus software before installing a new anti-virus software. Even if you are still on Windows XP. Only one AV on the system.

You should NEVER have more than one Anti-Virus on your system! More will conflict! Not only that, you should COMPLETELY remove ANY traces of old anti-virus programs before installing new Anti-Virus on your system. You should use CC Cleaner to remove old fragments of files from your system! It may not happen right away, but you WILL have problems eventually with more than one AV on your system!

You CAN however, have a MALWARE REMOVAL blocker only to compliment your anti-virus. I do not recommend getting real-time protection for your malware blocker. Up-to-date AV software, also includes malware protection, especially from the big AV companies. Malware blocking software is NOT an anti-virus, but you can update it manually and run a scan once a month as a second line of defense. Best example of this is Malwarebytes Anti-Malare.

The main protection guidelines:

1.) Set Windows Updates to Automatic to get security patches and bug fixes for your system.
2.) Install updates for Programs like Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, when prompted. Setting these options to automatic is also a good idea.
3.) One (and only one) anti-virus for your computer. such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, Avira, or AVG. I would avoid McAfee. Windows 8-8.1, uses Windows Defender will suit fine and is built-in.
4.) Have the latest version of browsers for your system. In most cases, auto-update is the default..
5.) Secure encrypt your Internet Connection Router with a Password that is easy to remember, but difficult to guess.
6..) Get a good pop-up blocker for your browser. Ad-Block Plus is great for Firefox and Chrome-a little too buggy for IE.
7.) Don't open up suspicious program files or email attachments.
8.) Use My WOT's color-coded web site and link rating system, combined with personal experience and community forum feedback to rate websites. Avoid Red Colored sites.
9.) Don't go to suspicious websites, or click on ads that promise something for nothing, nor respond to solicited emails asking for needed help, or to update financial information. They are most likely scams.

Satch

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:16 pm

<quote user="digital capman">

[/quote]
Sounds interesting =
In my case I used in the past Secunia
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
Is not an AV but it gives you a good picture of those securities updates
But going back to your statement, you may want to read this blog

So it's certainly OK to have more than one anti-virus program installed, and it can make sense to run a scan using a different program from time to time, but you must make sure you only have one real-time monitor enabled at a time.
htxxtp://ask-leo.com/can_i_run_more_than_one_antivirus_program_antispyware_program_firewall_should_i.html
Is a safe site, but to avoid any misunderstandings,I killed the link
ask-leo.com/can_i_run_more_than_one_antivirus_program_antispyware_program_firewall_should_i.htmlThanks
Maybe is a good idea to think outside the box, once in a while
Best regards

Kaspersky's Virus Detection Team

Post by Kaspersky's Virus Detection Team » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:54 pm

There is no best FREE Anti-Virus program. Plain and simple, you get what you pay for. Try Kaspersky it is consider the best active Internet protection system available.

More then one anti-virus system generally creates conflicts and false reporting. It will slow your system down considerably also. You can utilize an Internet Protection System like; Kaspersky Internet Protection and SUPERAntiSpyware but don't use two Anti-Virus programs in conjunction with one another.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:34 pm

<quote user="kaspersky's virus detection team">
There is no best FREE Anti-Virus program. Plain and simple, you get what you pay for. Try Kaspersky it is consider the best active Internet protection system available.

More then one anti-virus system generally creates conflicts and false reporting. It will slow your system down considerably also. You can utilize an Internet Protection System like; Kaspersky Internet Protection and SUPERAntiSpyware but don't use two Anti-Virus programs in conjunction with one another.
[/quote]

Think I'll stick with a better AV. ESET SS . Accompanied by Emsisoft Pro AM, Zemana Pro AL, with a little doggie called Scotty to look over matters.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 am

<quote user="kaspersky's virus detection team">

[/quote]

Absolute rubbish. MSE for example, whilst not an AV in the same sense as others (considered to be an additive to an AV rather than replacement), there's quite a few free AVs that beat paid ones (and no, there's none that beat all paid AVs, they all paid and free, have their faults).

As for paid ones, Eset and Kaspersky have been the best ones for years (and personally, I'd choose Eset over Kaspersky, purely on a resource usage basis).

The only thing I do agree with, is not using two AVs, but having one installed and not active, as an addition (i.e. periodic manual scans) is a good idea (should NEVER rely on a single AV, regardless of what it is)

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 am

<quote user="destinationtruth">
Think I'll stick with a better AV. ESET SS . Accompanied by Emsisoft Pro AM, Zemana Pro AL, with a little doggie called Scotty to look over matters.
[/quote]

I do love Scotty :o)