Should WOT block political sites?

afjacobs

RE: Should WOT block political sites?

Post by afjacobs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Where this rating system falls on its face is when we are dealing with serious websites and blogs on the interpretations of science which have political consequences.
Science lives or dies with discussion and challenge.
I have noticed that many serious sceptical sites on climate science are being red-flagged by some people who apparently disagree on the interpretations of a scientific theory. This should never have been the object of the founders of WoT.
Ask your compatriot Finnish researchers like Professor Ilya Susoskin (Oulu) or Boris Winterhalter. They'll know about it.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:12 pm

@afjacobs =

Welcome

Science lives or dies with discussion and challenge

I agree

This should never have been the object of the founders of WoT

I disagree

The frank and honest opinion of a user, about a site, when it comes down to trusting a site, remains the reason behind WOT

But look at the title of the topic, if it were for me, I would rate most of the politicians in the negative

From the site in question

Rep. Frank D. Lucas died and has been substituted in public as a look alike. The person serving for Oklahoma's 3rd Congressional District is not known to most of the public

This is not about science, but about a sore looser and a politician, which most of the time is pretty much the same

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:52 pm

I just visited the website in question. The content didn't seem especially logical. However, I rated the site green. This is why:

* There are ZERO cookies set.
* There is NO Google AdSense or other website analytics. Do you know how rare that is?!
* There is no obscene language, no hateful or racist content. What I read was grammatically correct.
* The site has no forms, does not request visitor information.
* There are no products or services sold or offered.

This is a safe website.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:33 am

I just visited the website in question. The content didn't seem especially logical
To say the least

Besides claiming that Lucas was a "robot" and/or "an automaton", Murray also posited that other members of Congress were replaced by lookalikes as well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Ray_Murray

But I do get your point as I pointed out that, at the end WOT is about the freedom to speak or rate your opinion about a site
And that is good
As for me, I found no a single thing to rate anyway ........... I do hope he gets better
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.
Milton Friedman
edit -
BTW: Javelina I am glad to see you back:)

Welcome

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:10 pm

<quote user="super hero!">... I do hope he gets better[/quote]Me too! It is sad. Based on his past public service, I don't think he was always as... well, ill, as he is now.

(And thank you, it is nice to be back here again!)

mentalist3d

Post by mentalist3d » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:03 pm

<quote user="afjacobs">
I have noticed that many serious sceptical sites on climate science are being red-flagged by some people who apparently disagree on the interpretations of a scientific theory.
[/quote]

I have noticed the same, along with sites that question the effectiveness of wind turbines. I have discovered who some of the WOT users are that have engaged in downrating sites that question the science of climate change and/or renewable technologies.

One of the WOT users is a prominent member of a Renewable Energy Think Tank (financially vested interest) with a large twitter following and website following, and has also recruited some of his followers to the cause of downrating sites that question some of the science of climate change, as well as the effectiveness to some of the renewable technologies..

WOT is a very useful tool, but with political sites, or sites that have a disagreement of science, the process of WOT can be abused by a minority of users that wish to censor debate/differing viewpoints by attempting to exploit the WOT system.

There is no easy solution to resolve this issue, as there has been many political sites, science sites that have been highlighted in the past that have been undeserving of a red rating, but it has been rectified by the fairer WOT raters, when brought to their attention.

All that can really be done, is when you find a site you feel is wrongly rated, rate the site, and if you are inclined, bring it to the forum and ask for the site to be reviewed.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 am

@Javelina =

Based on his past public service, I don't think he was always as... well, ill, as he is now

Unfortunately Washington D.C, would get you that way or worse it would make a cynic out of anyone:-(
I do not recall the name of a representative that would drive his own car to the Capitol, in order to save money to the taxpayers ...... the response, was far from being grateful, he did not get reelected

We, the people are in a great degree at fault

I will visiting your blog, I have not read any of your articles in a while

@mentalist3d =

Another good person that I have not "seen" in a while

You bring a good point

There is no easy solution to resolve this issue, as there has been many political sites, science sites that have been highlighted in the past that have been undeserving of a red rating, but it has been rectified by the fairer WOT raters, when brought to their attention

I found myself disliking good environmental groups, due to the comments of some idiotic members or even founders
Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, “We'd be against it.”
-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA
Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are “acceptable crimes” when used for the animals' cause.
-Alex Pacheco (PETA)

httxxp://www.bullmarketfrogs.com/2008/02/thursday-thirteen-top-13-most-idiotic-quotes-from-peta-and-ingrid-newkirk/
Comments like these, get some people very upset and do more harm to the plans of those who truly care about the environment
PETA opposes animal testing—whether toxicity testing, basic or applied research, or for education and training—on both moral and practical grounds. Newkirk told Vogue magazine in 1989 that even if it resulted in a cure for AIDS, PETA would oppose it.[113]
PETA also opposes the use of down from birds and the use of silk from silkworms or spiders.[117]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_the_Ethical_Treatment_of_Animals#Animal_testing
PETA also opposes the keeping of fish in aquarium tanks, suggesting that people view computer videos of fish instead[109]
Peta is just one example, among other sites that are missing a great opportunity to send a better message and that goes for political parties, as well

Some of their agendas are beyond controversial, there are insane......... dangerously insane

All that can really be done, is when you find a site you feel is wrongly rated, rate the site, and if you are inclined, bring it to the forum and ask for the site to be reviewed.[/cite]

I agree and I believe that the rating tags, would evolve to represent a clean site, with a content that you may or may not agree with, and that may not be related to hateful content This is just my opinion and PETA is just an example as I would have used a site that promotes bullfighting, which I find nowadays despicable :-(
My best wishes

Jeeped

Post by Jeeped » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Perhaps politically oriented sites could be a WOT user opt-out in the future. The site review categories would have to expanded to identify any site as having a political viewpoint and the WOT browser plug-in would only appear if the WOT user had opted out of free political discourse.