Can Web of Trust be Trusted?

tinfoil

However much you disagree

Post by tinfoil » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 pm

However much you disagree with the politics, the sites themselves are harmless.

Kraftwerk

Re: Spammer

Post by Kraftwerk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 pm

You´re right, reporting would be correct (although i´ve contacted the staff that much since i´m here, i´m not sure if they are happy about mails from me ^^).
But it was not only spamming, he tried to get in personal contact with platinum members including staff members like sami. loooks like a poor try of sabotage? that could have become funny :)))))

Blueberrycake Level Member of the WOT Community

BKowalski

Several Points

Post by BKowalski » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:53 am

We run several sites which have a good WOT rating save one which was hacked and malware added. This was detected and removed. Before it was removed it was posted as having malware. Thats fair enough. We also contacted malware url who had listed the site and they also removed the malware warning however we are still stuck with a rating which is false and are getting poor reviews not based on security but the fact the site contains adult content - well yes its an adult site. So is every adult site going to be listed as 'poor' based on what people think of adult sites? How do you improve a rating based on a hack attack that has been removed and checked out by indpendent sources? And what possible benefit is a rating system based on what people like or approve of?

Bob K

Sami

Re: Several Points

Post by Sami » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 am

We also contacted malware url who had listed the site and they also removed the malware warning

The site appears to be still listed on both MalwareURL and hpHosts. These entries will be automatically removed from the scorecard ~12-24 hours after the site has been removed from the blacklists.

So is every adult site going to be listed as 'poor' based on what people think of adult sites?

"Adult content" comments aren't poor reviews. Adult sites should have a poor rating in child safety, but a brief look at the ratings for some of the popular adult sites implies that they are judged by their merits in other rating components. Most of the trusted adult sites have a good reputation.

How do you improve a rating based on a hack attack that has been removed and checked out by indpendent sources?

The reputation will improve when the current ratings expire over time (and when your site is removed from the blacklists). You can speed up the process by contacting the users who left comments for your site and asking them to update their ratings. I'm sure posting on the forum works too, but you may want to start a new thread about the site instead.

The Big Bin

-

Post by The Big Bin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Hm I nromally do check here a few times a day, and sometimes it happens that I get the notification I've got a new PM. However, when I check there's always nothing there. I doubt all the users that write to me always get banned before I read it... It's been going on for a few months now.

--
Per aspera ad astra

BKowalski

Thanks for you comments I

Post by BKowalski » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks for you comments

I rechecked malwareurl.com and it comes up 'no listings for this site'. You are correct on hphosts as I didn't notice that it had been listed and I have contacted them today.

The malwareurl.com listing was removed several weeks ago so it is frustrating that the rating is still there. As a matter of interest why do you say the malwareurl listing is still there as if I am missing something I would appreciate knowing what it is.

Noted on the child safety aspect which I don't have a problem with although we appear to be getting poor reviews based solely on that but maybe I am misreading them!

Thanks again for your input

Regards

Bob

BKowalski

Update

Post by BKowalski » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:03 pm

ok udate time and have just checked again with malwareurl.com and the infected page is now showing again despite it being removed along with associated contents.

Have contacted them again to request removal.

Again thanks for your help

Bob

Kraftwerk

Please tell me if i´m

Post by Kraftwerk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Please tell me if i´m wrong,because i don´t want to blame anyone who is innocent , but this user http://www.mywot.com/de/user/1026561 acts like the other one yesterday: lots of comments,no content, no rating, totally different sites, comments ca. every 30 sec..

Sami

Re: Please tell me if i´m

Post by Sami » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 pm

You're probably not wrong, but please report strange activity directly to us.

Kraftwerk

Re: Re: Please tell me if i´m

Post by Kraftwerk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for the quick response, but i wasn´t sure. It was the third suspicious in two days,maybe i have just a wrong point of view. So i wanted to ask the others before bothering you;)