Spam

Digital Capman

Spam

Post by Digital Capman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Recently I've been getting a lot of spam email that has my own email address in the return or (from) address area. Almost like I'm sending spam to myself. I don't want to mark it as spam in fear that it will be submitting my own email as a spammer.

Does anyone know about this and is it ok to just mark it as spam to keep it out of my inbox? I really hate these spammer companies

Sincerely,
Cap

Site-rater

RE: Spam

Post by Site-rater » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Have you tried changing your password? Maybe the spammers have compromised your account.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:46 am

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings- but there is a point of critical mass with spam. Once and address has been endlessly sold and resold it is beyond repair. Reporting spam to reputable services is nice- but the larger issue is you can't unring the bell.

At that point the only way to truly stop it is start fresh with a new address and then go out of your way to protect the daylights out of the new one.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 am

<quote user="apollo702">
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings- but there is a point of critical mass with spam. Once and address has been endlessly sold and resold it is beyond repair. Reporting spam to reputable services is nice- but the larger issue is you can't unring the bell.

At that point the only way to truly stop it is start fresh with a new address and then go out of your way to protect the daylights out of the new one.

[/quote]

What he is referring to is NOT this kind of case.

Chances are either;

1. His address is being spoofed (appears in the FROM field)
2. His email account has been compromised (in this case, he needs to change the password ASAP)

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:52 am

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
What he is referring to is NOT this kind of case.

Chances are either;

1. His address is being spoofed (appears in the FROM field)
2. His email account has been compromised (in this case, he needs to change the password ASAP)
[/quote]

Yep. You are right and I wrote poorly. My previous statement left a big hole and I should amend what I said to add that in this case(along with generally compromised addresses) they reach points of no return.

However, whoever is doing this( and it appears that they do have access to the account) probably isn't doing this with warm fuzzies in their heart(s.) Just like you said he needs to move quickly and get that PW fixed- and fast! Having said all that though the address may be beyond repair. If that is the case then the OP may need to get a new address and begin the process of migrating...

**EDIT**

I recommend that people use programs instead of pages when possible. This also applies to email. A good choice is Thunderbird- or variations of it such as FossaMail. One extension that I recommend is Mailhops. It is a mail tracer that your grandma could figure out.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/mailhops/?src=search

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:02 am

<quote user="apollo702">
I recommend that people use programs instead of pages when possible. This also applies to email. A good choice is Thunderbird- or variations of it such as FossaMail. One extension that I recommend is Mailhops. It is a mail tracer that your grandma could figure out.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/mailhops/?src=search
[/quote]

I'm going slightly OT here, but I actually use Outlook (4 accounts (including my personal it-mate.co.uk account) and Thunderbird (1 work account here, and there's a few issues with TB, most notably, its lack of native support for Exchange (I'm having to use ExQuilla (the other extensions I tried, failed miserably). Biggest issues with TB are;

1. It's search facility is beyond woeful
2. It's missing the "Create rule" feature Outlook has (e.g. create a rule for emails containing x, y, z or coming from x, y, z)
3. It's spam filter is beyond a joke (I've given up trying to get it to stop treating any email sent from the company address, as spam - wouldn't mind if those it classified as spam actually contained content or some such that could at least be construed as such - but nope, it's having none it it. It's not even consistent in what it classifies as spam, lol). Tried re-training its spam filter, gave up on that too.

Not surprisingly, I hate web mail (major security risk, and a royal PITA)

Digital Capman

Post by Digital Capman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks you guys!

I'll just delete the account.
In my original post I was thinking this might be some kind of a new popular tactic from spammers.
The reason thought this was from my own website's contact page. when ever someone fills out the contact form
my php file will send the info to me Via Email and the (from email address) in the email is the address the individual wrote in my form.

I was thinking maybe some how the spammers were using a similar code when they spam an address it also gets placed in the from section.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:56 am

<quote user="digital capman">
Thanks you guys!

I'll just delete the account.
In my original post I was thinking this might be some kind of a new popular tactic from spammers.
The reason thought this was from my own website's contact page. when ever someone fills out the contact form
my php file will send the info to me Via Email and the (from email address) in the email is the address the individual wrote in my form.

I was thinking maybe some how the spammers were using a similar code when they spam an address it also gets placed in the from section.
[/quote]

Those things are not at all far-fetched. Not long ago on my (now retired) address I was getting spoofed mails impersonating dumb women I used to talk to who had Yahoo! accounts.

The reason why I suggested the tracer is I was able to not only see that they were spoofs but I was able to trace their routes in detail and know exactly who was doing it at a glance.

Now I am going to go 1/2 off topic:

I'm going slightly OT here, but I actually use Outlook (4 accounts (including my personal it-mate.co.uk account) and Thunderbird (1 work account here, and there's a few issues with TB, most notably, its lack of native support for Exchange (I'm having to use ExQuilla (the other extensions I tried, failed miserably). Biggest issues with TB are;

1. It's search facility is beyond woeful
2. It's missing the "Create rule" feature Outlook has (e.g. create a rule for emails containing x, y, z or coming from x, y, z)
3. It's spam filter is beyond a joke (I've given up trying to get it to stop treating any email sent from the company address, as spam - wouldn't mind if those it classified as spam actually contained content or some such that could at least be construed as such - but nope, it's having none it it. It's not even consistent in what it classifies as spam, lol). Tried re-training its spam filter, gave up on that too.

Not surprisingly, I hate web mail (major security risk, and a royal PITA)
I hear you. It has been years since I have actually used any form of Outlook so I am poorly qualified to write in detail about it anymore. However, I run a variation of TB called FossaMail that I have customized the daylights out of. I have written dozens of tutorials on everything from basic emailing to explanations of every extension I use on it. That one I know backwards and forwards.

When possible I choose open source software and by the time I am done customizing my programs they barely resemble what was downloaded. Basically I turn cheese pizzas into supremes. For me this also is a business. I can't sell what I don't own- but I get paid for my time and labor.

1. Yeah, it's search isn't going to win any awards. I coach people with methods of keeping the inbox manageable- easing the need for searches in the first place. Still, the searches aren't anything to write home about.
2. There are a number of extensions that specialize in rule-making. I personally don't believe in rule-making- but other people in different scenarios may have a different take on them.
3. I am reading that as your filters were overly aggressive- the opposite of what most experience. For most people I would coach them up on how not to get spam in the first place- rendering the filters practically moot. In your case something in your environment sounds like it is drawing friendly fire.

I would add some more issues of my own. One is the "Variable Width" font bug- which has not been fixed since I discovered TB in 2006! There are others and it is going to take some outsiders to fix them. The extension catalog is ancient and the interest just isn't there. Naturally, there is more than just that one...

I (and one of my beta testers) got thrown out of their forums for posting tutorials on how to block online spying and making feature requests. So for that developer apparently he can be open source. If we attempt it then we are dastardly evil people.

Digital Capman

Post by Digital Capman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 am

Thank you Apoollo and Mystery :)

mattlistro

Post by mattlistro » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:37 pm

<quote user="apollo702">

[/green]
[/quote]

<quote user="mysteryfcm">

[/quote]

I am going a little off topic also. I could use some help / advice from both of you here. I use Outlook because of the rules and search ability. I don't use any spam filters - I am too afraid that I might miss something important and since I deal with credit - a lot of my legitimate emails are about "credit" which the spam filters love to flag.

My problem / question is my outlook account is now at 25 gigs. The size is making it perform poorly.

Thoughts / suggestions (other than the obvious to delete some old mail - which I do semi regularly - I have chipped out all the large size files. I have transferred most of the inbox to another folder.)

Thanks

:)
Matt