Cookies

Sami

Cookies

Post by Sami » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:52 am

The WOT add-on creates three cookies for the domain mywot.com when you start your browser. When you visit our website, these are sent to us in order to authenticate your add-on. This is done to make it possible for you to synchronize your profile on multiple browsers. It also is used to automatically log you in if you have created an account.

Some users have raised concerns that using cookies might hurt their privacy. However, in this case, it doesn't. Your browser sends the cookies only to our website and only when you choose to visit it. Nobody else can see them.

Now, some people are still uncomfortable with the cookies. My question is, would you like to have an option on the add-on to disable these cookies, even if it means that you won't be able to use all the features on our website?

Kerx

re:Cookies

Post by Kerx » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:14 am

I think the option would make it feel better for some people, I think all it would need is a little warning abuot how without cookies they wouldn't be able to access mywot as easy

stavros

re:Cookies

Post by stavros » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm

I believe that the option should be given. But before this, users must know exactly about how the cookies will be used.

Melanie

re: cookies

Post by Melanie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:55 am

I don't understand why people would be paranoid about cookies from a site that protects them from security abuses. You can't please everyone. I have learned this living in a co-op. Do the best for the majority and the users can take it or leave it.

nixiewot

Which just goes to show...

Post by nixiewot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:45 pm

...My WOT were at least 4.5 or 5.5 years ahead of their time in the EU by talking about cookies. This is very much their cookie policy.

theglassetcher

RE: Cookies

Post by theglassetcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 am

I am ok with the cookies.. Good job on explaining what they are for and how they are used.. That's good enough for me..

phantazm

Safe or sound..?

Post by phantazm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 am

"My question is, would you like to have an option on the add-on to disable these cookies, even if it means that you won't be able to use all the features on our website?"

More or less the same as asking people if they'd like to disable javascript, in order to feel secure.

Disabling cookies, javascript, etc also means disabling the functionality of a site. So it's really absurd...

I people are that paranoid, they need education. Not a false sense of security...

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

To opt in or out is a good idea , as we ask the same from users that come for an evaluation , eventually wotters will know what WOT is about ................................... but this is from a thread started two years ago
Corrected , it was started over [yellow]six years ago[/yellow]
Thank you Heidi for pointing this out
Edit
See =
The cookies are stored on your computer only during the usage of the Services and they will be erased when the browser of your computer is turned off. Cookies do not enable any access to and/or inspection of other information on your computer. If you do not wish to receive cookies, or wish to be notified of when they are placed, you may set your web browser to do so, if your browser so permits. Please understand that if Cookies are turned off, you may not be able to use certain parts of the Services, or certain functions & features within the Software
https://www.mywot.com/en/privacy/privacy_policy
A great piece about cookies , in a transparent privacy policy

paranoïaque

Post by paranoïaque » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:45 pm

Not saying that mywot.com will ever abuse cookies, but it would be a mistake to say that cookies are generally harmless!

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/02 ... ncryption/
“Lucky Thirteen” attack snarfs cookies protected by SSL encryption
Exploit is the latest to subvert crypto used to secure Web transactions.

phantazm

Cookies in a context

Post by phantazm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Whether cookies are good or bad also depends on the actual context,
since "supercookies" are capable of re-creating users' cookies
or other identifiers after people deleted regular cookies...