A victory for the good guys, and that include all us!

A victory for the good guys, and that include all us!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 pm

The creator of software that stops adverts from appearing on websites has defeated two news publishers that want to prevent its tech being used on their pages

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32409952

The owners of Germany's Die Zeit and Handelsblatt had claimed that AdBlock Plus's product was anti-competitive and threatened their ability to make money.

At our cost, the readers that we have to be subject to all kinds of advertisements spam

"It infringes the freedom of the press

Before I start reading a newspaper, I throw out all the adds to the recycling bin, and then I start reading the newspaper

Does it mean that I am violating the right of the newspaper to freedom of speech because, I do not care for their ads, which at times can take large portion of the newspaper?

I am glad that, the judges in Germany had more common sense and if the owners of these publications were, to think outside the box, they will come out with innovative ways of making money; many newspapers has increased their publication by having, ads that could be taken to the stores, with substantial savings, for their readers

This new trend, have become an incredible "hobby" in which people buy up to ten papers, just to get the inserts .............. the rest of the newspapers are thrown in the garbage that are collected by other entrepreneurs that sell them to recycle centers

I do believe that, the same could be done with digital material

That the creators of Adblock Plus, won this case and a very difficult country, when it comes to win a case of this nature, is good news for the good guys and that include all of us

Congratulations

evilfantasy

RE: A victory for the good guys, and that include all us!

Post by evilfantasy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:30 am

The ruling is appropriate but let's not forget that the default settings in Adblock Plus (ABP) allow or whitelist "non-intrusive" ads. In other words ABP generates revenue by allowing ads to be served to their users. [url=http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/06/google-and-others-reportedly-pay-adblock-plus-to-show-you-ads-anyway/ t=_self]Google And Others Reportedly Pay Adblock Plus To Show You Ads Anyway[/url] You can disable the "non-intrusive" ads in the ABP settings.

On another note, playing devils advocate, most free to use websites depend heavily on ad revenue. If your favorite website has non-intrusive ads then consider helping out by whitelisting the ads that aren't annoying.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:59 am

@ evilfantasy =
Welcome back
I agree with you , there are some sites that I disable the Adblock plus function or white list, but I guess not everything is a white or black situation ................... is just a matter of shades of grey

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:14 am

<quote user="super hero!">Welcome back[/quote]

Thanks!

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:58 am

... claimed that AdBlock Plus's product was anti-competitive ...

According to that hypothesis, so is the little "X" in the upper-right corner of my browsers; but advertisers' rights to be "heard" end where my right to ignore them begins, and that place is at my local computer where exist the little "X"s and AdBlockPlus.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 am

<quote user="evilfantasy">
The ruling is appropriate but let's not forget that the default settings in Adblock Plus (ABP) allow or whitelist "non-intrusive" ads. In other words ABP generates revenue by allowing ads to be served to their users. [url=http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/06/google-and-others-reportedly-pay-adblock-plus-to-show-you-ads-anyway/ t=_self]Google And Others Reportedly Pay Adblock Plus To Show You Ads Anyway[/url] You can disable the "non-intrusive" ads in the ABP settings.
[/quote]

Yep, that was a few years ago Whoreblock Plus sold their souls. Another person came out with Adblock Edge, which in June is being discontinued in favor of an addon called uBlock, which the Edge developers say also lacks the whorelist, though I haven't installed uBlock yet (it's still in the "experimental" phase).

And as for the case, do we need to add something like "The right to move one's eyeballs and cover one's ears shall not be infringed" to constitutions? This fascism is getting ridiculous.