Malware on p2p

Site-rater

RE: Malware on p2p

Post by Site-rater » Tue May 26, 2015 2:52 pm

And just to clear up one misunderstanding, Lime wire is not a network; it is a client for the P2P network Gnutella, which several interoperable clients exist.
Most cases with private files being shared are due to misconfiguration of the client.

cadillac25

Post by cadillac25 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes that's what I've heard. People not knowing which files to share. I personally didn't share any files. But that is a government funded site so I figured they wer probably just talking propaganda and scaring people not to use p2p

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 am

htxxtp://www.computerworld.com/article/2497791/security0/more-malware-is-traveling-on-p2p-networks-these-days.html

Botnet masters stand to lose access to thousands or millions of infected computers if their control servers get shut down, so they're looking to gain resiliency by making use of decentralized P2P networks, where botnet clients can relay commands to one another, he said.

Malicious P2P traffic is hard to detect and block using traditional approaches that rely on lists of known IP addresses and hosts associated with command-and-control servers.

This is all over the net > htxxtp://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=491394#p491394

Refusal to remove Peer-to-Peer (P2P) programmes (Year 2009)

We have noticed that most people seeking help from us are coming with infections contracted from the use of P2P programmes.

Because of this, we felt we needed to introduce a policy on the use of P2P file sharing programmes.

If your helper detects the presence of such programmes on your computer he/she will ask you to remove them. We will withdraw our help should you not agree to their removal.
If we clean your computer of infection, and you return to us a short time later with an infection contracted by the use of P2P programmes, we will refuse our help.

We do not ask you to do this without reason.

htxxtps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

alexwillsion

Post by alexwillsion » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Yes, I agree that p2p is filled with malware.But I really can't understand that how malware would be enter in your computer and upload your personal files onto the p2p network on its own.

Explain here with more information...

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 am

<quote user="alexwillsion">
Yes, I agree that p2p is filled with malware.But I really can't understand that how malware would be enter in your computer and upload your personal files onto the p2p network on its own.

Explain here with more information...
[/quote]

Depends on how you define "on its own".

Malware can't do anything "on its own" unless its ran, and unless it comes via drive-by's etc, this is unlikely (excluding where the machine is already infected with such or comes into other machines/devices that are infected with such etc etc etc etc).

Via P2P networks, malware can't do anything "on its own" unless it is executed (whether this is by hiding in otherwise harmless files (and thus launched by code inside such (e.g. exploit, obfuscation etc etc etc)) is irrelevant)

Retarded Joker

Post by Retarded Joker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm

<quote user="alexwillsion">
But I really can't understand that how malware would be enter in your computer and upload your personal files onto the p2p network on its own.
[/quote]
Malware execution is based on the situation.
Some viruses can make use of the bugs in an application to replicate. In this case, you are not voluntarily executing the virus.
Voluntary actions would involve in opening a file, visiting a website, etc.

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:30 am

By using P2P applications, you may be giving other users access to personal information.

htxxtps://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/tips/ST05-007

Know what folders you are sharing.

https://www.onguardonline.gov/p2p

Malware can't do anything "on its own" 99% you need to run it or it just sits hopeing you click it, a drive by download may be runing be for it downloads

htxxtps://blogs.sophos.com/2014/03/26/how-malware-works-anatomy-of-a-drive-by-download-web-attack-infographic/

The term drive-by download describes how malware can infect your computer simply by visiting a website that is running malicious code

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 am

windows 10 peer-to-peer (P2P) delivery update mechanism. may be its good.

htxxtp://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html