The Shadow

Shut Down mylife.com

Post by The Shadow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:27 pm

I am advocating that mylife.com (formerly reunion.com) be shut down:

http://www.computerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=8847

Kraftwerk

you know there are lots of

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 pm

you know there are lots of those, right?

Blueberrycake Level Member of the WOT Community

WOT is not an arbiter of domains

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:48 pm

WOT does NOT "shut down" sites . . . it only reflects what people think about the trustworthiness of a site.

To actually shut down the site you would either have to argue with the Webhost (DNSMADEEASY . . . http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/) or ICANN Registrar itself (Network Solutions . . . http://www.networksolutions.com/).

Jazspeak

Shut Down mylife.com

Post by Jazspeak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:57 pm

You haven't given any reasons for wanting to shut down the site. Does it spam? Is it a malware provider?

As BobJam has commented, WOT cannot shut down sites but can warn users of the safety or otherwise of a site.

Check the link

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:37 pm

In the link the OP gave it looks as though this is the run-of-the-mill Phish and Spam site.

However, if we tried to shut down every Phish and Spam site on the Internet . . . well, I don't think there are enough hours in a day to do that . . . nevermind that you would have to be doing it 24/7/365 to even make a dent.

So, at the end of the day, I think marking it as unsafe is about all we can do practically speaking.

Trying to shut down sites, in my mind anyway, is a matter of priorities and is reserved for the most extreme. As I said, I think mylife.com is run-of-the-mill.

The Shadow

All very true

Post by The Shadow » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:52 am

I am not saying that I can shut down the site or that WOT has the power to shut down this site, I am advocating that the site be shut down for the reasons stated in my original link. More examples will be added.

And there are other aspects of this case that I haven't even touched on yet, such as the theft of intellectual properties.

And yes, there are more of these sites out there. But you cannot take them all on at once. But you can make an example out the worst ones and hopeful set a president for others to follow.

I also have a responsibility to the members of my forum to help keep them safe. By using strong language, I hope to convey the level of threat they may face by engaging these types of sites.

Your comments and suggestions have been very helpful.

Many thanks.

A judgment we all must make

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:36 am

"an example out the worst ones"
That is the judgment we all must make, and opinions on this are all over the map. If a friend of yours was bamboozled by these criminals, that goes a long way to convince you that they are the "worst".

For example, a friend of mine suffered identity theft, credit card fraud, and all manner of headaches, not to mention the damages of the infection to his computer, because he was duped by Uniblue's rogue registry cleaner, "Registry Booster".

Consequently, I am convinced that Unibue/iutilities is among the worst . . . but I'm sure others put it in the "run-of-the-mill" category.

Your "worst" can be my "run-of-the-mill", and my "worst" can be your "run-of-the-mill". Can't argue opinions. But, whether we consider it "worst" or "run-of-the-mill", we will all agree that these bums maintain some pretty nasty and criminal stuff.