Statistics from WOT today.

Statistics from WOT today.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Look at the stats below and tell me what you think!

Comments by members
Total 5,961,246 (100.0%)
Positive 300,609 (5.0%)
Negative 5,549,730 (93.1%)
Neutral 110,907 (1.9%)

Ratings by members
New this week 275,508
New this month 1,133,442

Rated sites
Total 26,316,398
New this week 73,756
New this month 376,033

Dangerous sites
Trustworthiness 1,886,179 (7.2%)
Vendor reliability 1,956,740 (7.4%)
Privacy 2,279,297 (8.7%)
Child safety 2,781,494 (10.6%)

1. Look how many people have commented on sites where the negative comments far outweigh positive ones.
2. It looks like there is more trust placed in children allowed to visit dangerous sites than say an adult.

Yes I know it is giving the wrong impression to what people believe but looking at them shows a different story.

In a way this is comical but there is a serious side too. Perhaps many people are not rating sites using all the available ratings.

Jazspeak

negative comments far outweigh positive ones

Post by Jazspeak » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Perhaps WOT users are generally going to dangerous, or potentially dangerous, sites to adversely rate them. I accept that it is important to positively rate and comment on good safe sites but it is in the nature of security to aim investigations at potentially bad sites. After all. you wouldn't expect an anti-virus company to say that there are no new viruses because they haven't been looking for them (I wonder how many new viruses are created by the anti-virus companies just so they can say that they have been doing their job - or am I being too cynical?).

I would like to think that WOT users will eventually rate every site on the Internet, good and bad, which will clearly take a very long time but in the mean time it is probably just as well that so many WOT users are focussing on finding the bad sites first.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am in favour of seeing the bad sites listed in order to help us all but I would like to see good sites given equal feedback and comments too. Perhaps this is shown in another statistic I didn't see. I try to rate good and bad rather than concentrate on just the bad.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

chazsm

TBH

Post by chazsm » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:38 pm

I'd be more worried about going on bad rites that arn't rated yet than good sites that arn't rated yet.

I think ideally the cut shoud be 80% protection from bad sites then 20% alternate purposes for WOT.

ganmerlad

What is this?

Post by ganmerlad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:44 pm

What is this, a general discussion of what?

I was just commenting on the

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12 am

I was just commenting on the stats within the community section of WOT. Nothing wrong with them, just airing my thoughts :D

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

ganmerlad

issviews

Post by ganmerlad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 am

Ignore me, I am annoyed with Jazspeak and half aslseep. (seriously sorry)

What you are pointing out is interesting. Put it in plain English. I think you are saying something important that everyone needs to realize. (I would delete my butting into this thread if it didn't leave you hanging)

Hey, no worries, I am not

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:24 am

Hey, no worries, I am not offended and you don't need to say sorry. This is purely a loose discussion in my opinion but one that may create interest for others and perhaps get the thinking caps out ;)

ganmerlad

in that case

Post by ganmerlad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 am

In that case, I want to know if WOT is more interested in computer safety or child safety.

Its not WOTs doing here.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:58 am

Its not WOTs doing here. People rate site and the statistics reflect how they rated them (not all fields were rated (obviously)).