Updated Thread-Ideas For How to Improve WOT?

Satchman

Updated Thread-Ideas For How to Improve WOT?

Post by Satchman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:02 pm

Hello WOT,

At the request of some community members, I've been asked to start new threads rather than reply to very old topics, so with a new WOT staff on board, I would like to share my ideas for how to improve WOT. (Forum administrators can delete the other ten year old thread.)

My List:

1.) Sites that have a popular confidence rating, (ie, lots of shaded in people) are almost impossible to rate down: Due to the changes in the technology, many sites have built up high confidence intervals over the years, but now may require a second look. Examples of this are Cnet, which has been known to bundle adware in its downloads since being acquired by CBS some years ago, yet it still has a Green WOT rating because of a high confidence level. This raises the question, is the rating logarithm for a site's high confidence level flawed, where a popular site is going to be rated good, not because it is necessarily safe, but because it is popular?

We know that Facebook has a lot of pages not appropriate for children, but it is one of the most popular sites on line for millions of people around the world. How much does WOT safety matter in terms of a site's popularity? Does a poplar site equate to a safe website experience in terms of Trustworthiness? In terms of Child Safety?

2.) WOT should pair with Trusted Anti-Virus and Malware Removal Vendors along with its trusted community members in providing a combination of composite ratings from multiple quality virus scanners, such as URL Void and Virus Total and the users' experiences:

If many quality, reputable, and distinguished Anti-virus scanners and malware scanners have rated a site as dangerous, there should be a way to get the site rated down to a yellow or red rating. Much of My WOT is exclusive to the real-time user-experience, which is good. But having data used from multiple virus scanners and anti-malware vendors as well, could provide a more realistic assessment of the safety of a website. In this regard, the best of the user experience, and what the reputable security companies are reporting, can be consolidated to provide WOT members with a better safety composite, and trustworthiness of a site.

Satch

RE: Updated Thread-Ideas For How to Improve WOT?

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:36 pm

@Satchman =
You bring good points in a very broad manner, I will give you an example the so- called media sites
I have been a member of Facebook for just one day and when I inquired about other social media sites, the feedback I got here at WOT by other members, was that it was not a good idea due to privacy concerns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook#Photo_recognition_and_face_tagging

This is, but the top of the iceberg, when it comes to the many problems with FB

Now, I rated red for privacy concerns and it was like a drop of fresh water in an ocean, it made no difference, it remained saline, only one person agreed with my rating, I re rated again a few years later, with the same results
I hope that as the previous generations become responsible for paying their rents, among other things, they will realize that they no longer can afford to waste their time with the millennial toys, but I could be wrong and what governments could not do FB will
I want to respond personally to the outrageous press reports about PRISM:

Facebook is not and has never been part of any program to give the US or any other government direct access to our servers. We have never received a blanket request or court order from any government agency asking for information or metadata in bulk, like the one Verizon reportedly received. And if we did, we would fight it aggressively. We hadn't even heard of PRISM before yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10100828955847631

The documents identified several technology companies as participants in the PRISM program, including Microsoft in 2007, Yahoo! in 2008, Google in 2009, Facebook in 2009, Paltalk in 2009, YouTube in 2010, AOL in 2011, Skype in 2011 and Apple in 2012.[23] The speaker's notes in the briefing document reviewed by The Washington Post indicated that "98 percent of PRISM production is based on Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft".[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29
He lied, like the rest, but does anyone care?
I never trusted FB, nor would I ever trust it, but my vote or rating means nothing as over one billion of users love it, is a sad reality in which WOT is part of it, by providing security to FB
https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/keeping-you-safe-from-scams-and-spam/10150174826745766
Do not get me wrong, I am not cynical because the principle of WOT is about trust and I trust that the day will come, in which people will wake up from this stupor and FB will have to face a harsh reality
You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Disputed quote, but a reality that cannot be denied, but going back to the point you made, most of the members will never sell out for no one and WOT have been consistent on this that some sites are almost impossible to turn their trust color, but we will leave our opinions, perhaps it will make some people think and act
A site that looks promising, for those who enjoy social media is Diaspora , so there are alternatives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_%28social_network%29#cite_note-VanGrove28May10-22
I have not rated the site so I did not posted the official site
Best Regards

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:58 pm

For the first point, there were several threads recently about sites having a dark green rating with a high confidence but a lot of recent poor comments. A member asked a way to quickly analyze a scorecard for these sites

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

<quote user="matiks">
For the first point, there were several threads recently about sites having a dark green rating with a high confidence but a lot of recent poor comments. A member asked a way to quickly analyze a scorecard for these sites, that why I suggested this tool:&nbsp;https://matiks.net/MyWOT/analyzeComments
it analyzes up to last 100 comments which have a known ratings and displays charts.
[/quote]

OK dumb question,

Is this a part of the WOT software assessment, or a separate plug-in/website? This could be helpful! Thanks for sharing!

Satch

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:17 am

I suggest WOT lock all the topics with threaded comments. They're all old now, and it's hard to find where the new comments are if someone inserts one.

Also, it appears that if someone posts a spam comment in the middle of one of those multipage non-sequential topics, and a mod removes it, it still is flagged as having a new post, so you can search all over and never find why the topic was flagged as having a new post. Removing the spam should remove the flag.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:21 am

Another comment: The "invite friends" button appears to have a Firefox logo in it. It's too small to really tell. And it doesn't link to the Firefox add on page. So I'm not sure what the point is.

I am also a bit disappointed WOT is asking people to provide their friends' email addresses without their permission. It's a poor practice for people to do that, and WOT shouldn't encourage it by making it seem acceptable.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:18 am

Another idea,

If you scroll down the homepage for WOT here, I notice something:

https://www.mywot.com/

That the Support Browsers have small graphic icons showing what the browsers are. Personally, I have trouble visualizing some graphic image content and I think it would be helpful, for the names of each browser to be directly below the images. Or don't use the images at all. In other words, on that page, you would just have the download links to each browser, such as:

Chrome
Firefox
IE
Opera

And so forth.

Satch

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:48 pm

<quote user="alphacentauri">
I suggest WOT lock all the topics with threaded comments. They're all old now, and it's hard to find where the new comments are if someone inserts one.

Also, it appears that if someone posts a spam comment in the middle of one of those multipage non-sequential topics, and a mod removes it, it still is flagged as having a new post, so you can search all over and never find why the topic was flagged as having a new post. Removing the spam should remove the flag.
[/quote]

I fully agree with your idea of locking old and obsolete threads, I don't know if keeping them for research or historical reasons, will make sense, but I second your idea
I am also a bit disappointed WOT is asking people to provide their friends' email addresses without their permission. It's a poor practice for people to do that, and WOT shouldn't encourage it by making it seem acceptable.
I don't believe that was the intention, but unfortunately it does give that impression, in my case I am not familiar with social media, but I imagine that was the main target
These are the growing pains, but is great to see members giving feedback to make WOT, much better during this process

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:25 pm

<quote user="super hero!">
I fully agree with your idea of locking old and obsolete threads, I don't know if keeping them for research or historical reasons, will make sense, but I second your idea
I don't believe that was the intention, but unfortunately it does give that impression, in my case I am not familiar with social media, but I imagine that was the main target
These are the growing pains, but is great to see members giving feedback to make WOT, much better during this process
[/quote]

Agree with Super Hero,

Lock the old threads, It keeps the system current and simple. It also keeps the forum data synchronized with collective effort ideas from the My WOT community for the new administration.

Satch

MarkGiles

Post by MarkGiles » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:13 pm

• Putting comments on third level domains (also known as sub-domains)

Some crooked people are using methods to evade Wot comments. Because comments on web sites are specific to the sub-domain instead of the domain, a comment for "example.com" does not show up for "abc.example.com".

This is as you would expect from some legitimate domains which are shared by thousands of users - such as wikia.com, blogspot.com etc.

But because of this anomaly, we are now seeing bad players registering literally 54,000 URLs for one bad domain name, and then spamming those variants in bulk spamming runs. The ratings will carry through (red emblem) but the user will see no comment to explain it. It is too much to expect the general user to eliminate the third level portion of the URL and reload the Wot page for the raw domain.

Let's illustrate with an example using weight-loss fraud 05mk1i.net.

Spammed variants -

100-diet.05mk1i.net.to 999-diet.05mk1i.net.
100-beauty.05mk1i.net. to 100-beauty.05mk1i.net.
100-health.05mk1i.net to 999-health.05mk1i.net.
100-fitness.05mk1i.net to 999-fitness.05mk1i.net
100-weightloss.05mk1i.net to 999-weightloss.05mk1i.net
100-healthandbeauty.05mk1i.net to 999-healthandbeauty.05mk1i.net

To put a comment on all the third level variants of 05mk1i.net would currently require an additional 54,000 updates. And 05mk1i.net is only one example from over 5,000 over these cyber-crooks' spammed and illegal weight-loss fraud domains.

Why have they made their infrastructure so complex? Because they are trying to beat the MyWot system, which is causing havoc with their miserable bizness, as it should.

Rather than apply 5,000 x 54,000 = 270 million comments, it would be better to apply the one comment to the primary domain which will appear on all sub-domain ratings. At the same time, it would be necessary to prevent the same modification to apply to the legitimate domains such as wikia.com, blogspot.com etc.