FBI trying to force Apple to write malware!

Site-rater

RE: FBI trying to force Apple to write malware!

Post by Site-rater » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:07 pm

This probably should be in Reputation discussions but hxxp://www.ci.san-bernardino.ca.us might be considered Privacy risks for their pressure towards Apple.
Not even sure if they are knowledgeable in, or care about, data security. Apple didn't add these cryptographic locks to promote crime; they did so to get a reputation for promoting anti-data-breach safeguards.
Maybe Apple should start making POS (Point Of Sale/Service) terminals utilizing their security technologies; tired of hearing about credit card breaches due to terminals storing the info unencrypted.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Just found out WOT tweeted about it the day after I posted the original message. Wonder if they read this thread first?

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:43 pm

<quote user="bfeely">
Just found out WOT tweeted about it the day after I posted the original message. Wonder if they read this thread first?
[/quote]

We were probably looking at the same news sources that day - in this case our news came from the outside before we posted it on Social Media. But if you come across something post-worthy we'd love to hear about it in our new forum thread! https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/64482-your-news-suggestions

InSaNeJOY

Post by InSaNeJOY » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 am

Apple is a shady company anyways. I mean, once a new iOS comes out say goodbye to your iPhone because they purposely render older devices USELESS so you'll spend thousands of dollars on their products. (which are crap anyway)

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:32 am

I cringe at the thought of a company that also spies on us and sells our data(although perhaps less egregiously than much of the rest of the industry to be our heroes. Still, there may be a silver lining to this. Perhaps this will get the public to take more notice and finally put their foot down.

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:49 am

htxxtp://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2449330/john-mcafee-unlocks-an-iphone-and-does-not-eat-a-shoe

John McAfee unlocks an iPhone and does not eat a shoe

John McAfee reveals to FBI, on national TV, how to crack

McAfee suggested in a later television interview that former FBI officer Steve Rogers and his peers were clueless about technology ?

and may be see YouTube for fun

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:56 am

McAfee suggested in a later television interview that former FBI officer Steve Rogers and his peers were clueless about technology ?
I read the news and I laughed so hard and in my opinion , McAfee is 100% right
I wonder why they didn't take on his offer

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:22 am

<quote user="super hero!">
I read the news and I laughed so hard and in my opinion , McAfee is 100% right
I wonder why they didn't take on his offer
[/quote]

Of course, not everyone agrees:
hxxp://arstechnica.com/security/2016/03/john-mcafee-better-prepare-to-eat-a-shoe-because-he-doesnt-know-how-iphones-work/
They bring up a destructive hardware based method, but also point out such a method is risky and has a very high chance of destroying the partial key they are looking for and thus permanently destroying the data stored on the device. My understanding is that iOS 8 and newer use industry standard AES-256 encryption, which currently meets government standards for up to Top Secret security levels, so if the key is damaged the data is as good as gone; even the 128-bit AES used by our browsers to read this post is considered unbreakable by today's means; the security is based on how well the server is keeping its private key secret.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 pm

@Site-rater =

I agree with your point, but the way he wanted to open it, was ........... believe it or not ........... through social engineering!

And that speak volumes about the most overlooked way to hack; in my opinion the FBI just wanted to create a precedent

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Social engineering only works if the people who know the password are still alive. To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, "Two can keep a secret if both are dead." Which people does he plan to target with his social engineering?

As far as the wisdom of Apple creating a key, as bitterly as this US election is being contested, how many Americans would be equally accepting of either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump having access to every iPhone in the world? Because the FBI answers to whoever is currently president.