The dysfunctional and divided world, in the digital age!

WOTRocks223

RE: The dysfunctional and divided world, in the digital age!

Post by WOTRocks223 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:21 am

<quote user="super hero!">
Here we go again!
It's the tall white girl resting her arm on the head of the shorter black girl that has triggered the controversy. For some it's insulting and, if not intentionally racist, at least reflective of a lack of thought on Gap's part (hence the term "passive" racism). For others, the image is harmless, and the backlash against it ridiculous
httxp://wwxw.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35968787
I can't take it any more ............ this goes beyond political correctness
[/quote]

I agree, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. -_-

People should know better not to make racist claims and stuff, but they don't. Instead of keeping whatever offensive things they have to themselves, they blurt out everything all at once, either by shouting or posting it on the internet. In fact, posting racist things on the internet is even worse because even more people are seeing it than the number of people hearing it when the rude guys shout out their racist claims.

Armored

Post by Armored » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:53 am

Thanks for posting super hero
I watched that youtube video. . The woman complaining about his dreadlocks was disgusting. I feel sorry for that guy. He made a good point when he said Egyptians originated that style. That was like checkmate. I'm glad that she isn't a representation of every bodies opinion. Life is so much richer when we embrace the beauty in all cultures. I'm looking forward to my trip to Japan in October boy do they have a unique way of doing things. So much fun!

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:08 am

@Armored =
Welcome back good friend
"I'm looking forward to my trip to Japan in October boy do they have a unique way of doing things. So much fun!"
I envy you, well I cannot, but I do:)
Read and heard so many things about the land of the rising sun and after reading Shogun, I wanted to know more about Japan
"Life is so much richer when we embrace the beauty in all cultures"
I fully agree, in a way, we learn more about ourselves by doing this
Best regards, mate

Armored

Post by Armored » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:29 am

Read and heard so many things about the land of the rising sun and after reading Shogun, I wanted to know more about Japan
[/quote] I hope you can visit Japan some time. If you every do it will pay to learn a few phrases in Japanese or go with somebody who can speak the local language. It can be challenging to get around only using English, especially if you plan on visiting places outside Tokyo. Luckily my wife is Japanese she is my translator as well:)
This will be my 4th visit to the land of the rising sun I'm already dreaming about the food! I'm obsessed with Japanese food I'm getting hungry just talking about it! Hopefully there will be no earthquakes when we visit!
I fully agree, in a way, we learn more about ourselves by doing this
Best regards, mate [/quote] We certainly do, & best regards to you too-nice to catch up.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 am

I'm already dreaming about the food! I'm obsessed with Japanese food I'm getting hungry just talking about it! Hopefully there will be no earthquakes when we visit!
I love fish, but to be frank with you, I had or try to have Japanese cuisine once, I was a teen if you know what I mean, my biggest mistake was to ask for saké
My lack of knowledge about the drink, was obvious when I was asked if I wanted hot or cold ----- it was summer, but I asked for hot and when I noticed those tiny cups and bottles, I was quite confused, but not as confused after drinking a few tiny, very tiny bottles of the drink, forgetting the cups altogether
Mate, I felt the earth move, I guess that was as close as I could ever get to an earthquake
I did not have the stomach for the food or anything else for that matter, but that was a long time ago and I don't drink alcohol at all

Armored

Post by Armored » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:03 am

my biggest mistake was to ask for saké
I felt the earth move, I guess that was as close as I could ever get to an earthquake
[/quote] he he he
Next time ask for the Wasabi:) Then you will feel like your experiencing a volcanic eruption!

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:10 am

Lately I haven't had enough time to be on WOT enough and I have been chomping at the bit to participate in this thread.

I have some quick hits:

One of my degrees is in political science and I have come to the conclusion that we(in the U.S.) are not where we think we are racially. I don't want to turn this into a political slugfest and please do not attempt to guess my politics. Also, just because I point out the absurdity of some of the attacks on Barrack Obama do not take that necessarily as an endorsement or criticism of him or an attempt to endlessly debate his and/or any other politics. Having said that I actually do things like read entire 1000+ page health bills and federal budgets so I can say with authority that I am not getting my information from talk shows. Much of what people are shouting about and basing their lives and mental health on are AM talk radio hogwash.

What I am saying is many of the attacks on him and his policies arefrequently some ludicrous fiction. When one hears that he is a "
Muslim nazi who is part of the plot to socialize the communists!", "He isn't really a citizen! He is a foreign agent out to destroy America and all of our values...! a whole lot of that could be condensed into one code-word:

Black.

As far as that ridiculous ad that is typical for the fashion industry. They work a lot like AM talk radio. Nothing is any good without stirring up a whole lot of bull-you-know-what and going nutso with Photoshop. For some extra fun fun fun check out:

hxxp://styleblazer.com/69578/14-most-airbrushed-celebrity-pictures/

hxxp://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2013/03/17/174405024/fake-it-til-you-make-it-what-came-before-photoshop?ft=1&f=97635953&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

hxxp://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/06/oprahs-head-ann-margarets-body-a-brief-history-of-pre-photoshop-fakery/258369/

hxxp://www.cracked.com/article/118_the-15-most-shameless-fake-photos-ever-passed-off-as-real/?wa_user1=1&wa_user2=Weird+World&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=companion

hxxp://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/18/the-war-on-teen-vogue-young-readers-fight-for-real-girls.html

Upon request I have far more where those came from.

As far as oversensitivity that is something else to debate. On one hand it is a better thing that in this day and age that we openly talk about things. In the "
good-old-days It is doubtful that they were some magically superior time. People probably just silently suffered so the issues just didn't get talked about. In many ways it is better we become more sensitive, less racist,less aggressive...

On the other hand there is the issue of over sensitivity in which even the slightest thing sends us into a sense of outrage. When did we become so weak?

Here are a few select samples:

hxxp://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-stupidest-things-people-love-getting-offended-about/

hxxp://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/04/the-culture-of-shut-up/360239/

hxxp://theweek.com/articles/477018/bill-mahers-plea-time-moratorium-outrage

hxxp://www.cracked.com/article_20562_6-spectacularly-failed-attempts-to-be-politically-correct.html

Then to sum it up check out the concept of "concept creep:"

hxxp://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/concept-creep/477939/

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:50 am

@Apollo =
a whole lot of that could be condensed into one code-word:
Black.

Is your opinion, but I disagree =

I spent a large part of my life in a country, in which racism was unknown, until I came to the U.S

My opinion of him is about reality, a likeable individual, but a lousy president that hesitates about what to do, but is willing to talk without doing much
Everything that he criticized on other presidents, he has done and more
He engaged in the most horrendous war on North Africa, confronted allies like Russia, spied on our friends and us, violating the constitution, he presided by executive mandate, the media gave him a blank check and he gave the banks a free pass
The black community dint think of him as black on his first term, so is not about racism, just like Jimmy Carter was a naive and ineffective president, so is Barack Obama, perhaps even more as he "won" a Nobel Price for peace!
His "Obama Care" is a tax scheme based on the idea that we will have a national medical insurance for everyone, what he didn't say was that you will be forced into buying health insurance that, is increasing in price but not in service
Its not about his race, but his character and lack of leadership
His legacy will be remembered as the "yes we can", but never did
The country is divided by individuals that try to push their agenda on others, using guilt as the woman in the video, when they should stop harassing others and educate themselves in manners
Racism is not about one color, sometimes the worst offenders are the ones that claim to be the victims As for the idiotic remarks of others, well they are entitled to freedom of speech, I would not want to imagine the alternative
I hope that is not too late, but a divided nation always fall and in order to stop the fragmentation of our country, we need to remind ourselves that, the rights in the Constitution of United States of America are for everyone
With the due respect to a friend, but with the conviction of those, who do not resort to flattery
As for the video, which I hope was a joke, this woman, went futher by lying and accusing the man .............
Just in that alone is enough to be upset at someone that could have sent an innocent man to jail, though she was the one at fault that, is very scary, nothing funny about it

She should be ashamed!

edit -

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:26 pm

You might(or maybe not) find it surprising- but I largely agree with much of what you just said about our outgoing president. On one hand I defend him from many of the attacks- but it doesn't mean that I support many of his actions or he was a great president- far from it. That is part of why I said that people should not attempt to guess my politics. Even with a clarification here people attempting to guess them are still going to get them wrong.

Many of those above policies would make
Dick Cheney blush. Let's recap a select handful:

[*]The healthcare bill was actually Gingrichcare which was created as a response to Hillarycare back from 1993.

[*]When the negotiations started for this version of the healthcare bill he undercut the Democrats in congress and removed the public option without asking for anything in return.

[*]In 2010 he gave away a 2 year extension of the Bush tax cuts again without asking for anything in return.

[*]In years such as 2010 and 2011 he proposed spending cuts beyond what the Republicans were proposing.

[*]He expanded drone warfare to unheard of levels- and yes, he was handed a Nobel prize for ???

[*]He vastly expanded the surveillance state- something I make a living showing people how to fight back against.

[*]His first choice for appointments regularly are Republicans. Recently his first choice for the vacant supreme court opening was Brian Sandoval- the governor of Nevada. The same former Nevada power executive who nearly outlawed solar power in a state that receives nearly year-round sunshine!

I could go on. Those examples show that if many in the Tea Party took off their blinders he would in many ways be their hero. I cite these types of right-wing policies as examples of why so much of the criticism of him are just plain fiction. There is PLENTY to point out.

Most of his critics aren't like
Super hero! who actually uses his brain and stands on solid ground. Most of them are living in a Lalaland. Their sole source of information are phony talk shows. They need to come back to the real world.

gahihyppu

Post by gahihyppu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:57 pm

All good points, but you have to admit, this is old news to some extent :). It's been this way for a while.