Is Microsoft Going too Far With the Deceptive Windows 10 Update?

alphacentauri

RE: Is Microsoft Going too Far With the Deceptive Windows 10 Upd

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:40 pm

AFAIK, WX would break my remote access to my job. I've installed one of the apps to block the various hidden WX updates, so I can continue to run Windows Update otherwise. After I removed GWX and they then to installed the same nag screen with the new name GWX2, I lost trust in allowing Microsoft to install updates without someone screening them.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:58 pm

When Microsoft pisses me off I call them Microsucks- and in this case they earned it. Having said that, do we want to bitch about it and maintain the issue- or solve the problem?

** Disclosure** I am also going to note that this very computer has at least 4 different OSes: Windows 7, 8.1,10, and Linux Mint Cinnamon- with the possibility if I ever have time to experiment with all of the ludicrous number of Linux variations. Out of those the clear winner is 7. It looks good, it is easy to operate, people can find things... That was their masterpiece. 10 really is only there for experimental and comparison purposes.

I also will note that I put together packages that effectively turn
8.1 and 10(not quite as much) back into 7. The average consumer gets stuck with what came on their new computer. They simply had no idea what they were buying into or that they had choices in the matter. When presented with the differences I have yet to see one person not love 7 and loathe the (unaltered)others.
/** Disclosure**

Now, lets put this one to bed. I am going to lay out solutions in the order of their desirability.

*If you have 7 stay with it. Although I manually sort through updates and keep a list of them to avoid(the tedious way) a much simpler solution is to get a program such as “
Never 10” and never get nagged or tricked again.

*Build your own desktop and put 7 on it. It is much easier than you think and you can truly put together something that you love.

* Replace the stinky new version(s) and install 7. All you need is an iso disc and a key. Fortunately you can get the key from any old computer or even buy them online from people discarding them*(
Feebay?) Just remove the pre-installed OS(and get the bonus of removing all of the factory bloatware(or worse) and have a rig that you love. You paid good money. You own it. Why use something that you hate?

* Keep
8 or 10 and massively modify them. Yes, I do that commercially, but anyone could do it with enough time, patience and 4 letter words thrown in for good mix.

The bottom line:
----------------------------------------------------

Since computers are a big part of modern life why be miserable when there are choices out there?

*EDIT* Users may want to peruse this:

hxxp://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Buying-Legitimate-Microsoft-Products-on-ebay-/

I am not in the business of giving legal advice, so everyone should consult with a legal professional regarding such matters. Having said that, my layman’s interpretation of the guidelines is one needs a legitimate key and the actual sticker containing said original key.

Imagine a scenario in which one is repairing or upgrading an existing computer. If one were to make significant hardware changes the key would still be valid. There are many similar scenarios in which perhaps even the sticker was attached to hardware in which- or even a carefully cut out section- of that “old” hardware would count towards this standard.

Get it?

*Edit 2*

I apologize for the typo in the link above. I have never heard of a site called Ebay. I only know of one called Feebay that in my opinion is a buggy mess and hell for sellers. My apologies for any confusion that caused.

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:42 pm

A judge in the U.S. awarded a woman $10k in damages from Microsoft after the upgrade slowed her PC so much that she was unable to operate it for her business. Her experience is probably not an isolated incident and more than a few users are upset by their computers being slowed down by the automatic update. Many people understandably feel that this was a big aggressive and that users should be free to choose their OS without it being forced onto their PC.

Full article: seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-draws-flak-for-pushing-windows-10-on-pc-users/

*dlsclaimer - this message was written using a Mac

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm

<quote user="mywot team">

*dlsclaimer - this message was written using a Mac
[/quote]

Oh so that explains why the web site don't work. ~smiles~

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:14 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
Oh so that explains why the web site don't work. ~smiles~
[/quote]
Here is for everybody starting with you DT
=http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36640464

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:04 pm

<quote user="super hero!">
Here is for everybody starting with you DT
=http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36640464
[/quote]

Read that earlier on Beta News. . . so are you trying to pick on me dear.

I clearly think Win 10 should be by choice. Though I've been on the fast ring for awhile now and kind of like Win 10. Though I've done complete reinstall too due to bugs. Though I'm one of those that back-up daily and sync most changes to have more then one complete hard drive image. Clearly any business that doesn't have failed in protecting their interest and their customers interest.

Again though such should not be forced.

Now do I need to get out the boxing gloves. . . or get us a bowel of Rocky Road.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Personally I haven't had trouble with slowness in Windows 10, however I did reinstall from scratch due to troubles I picked up during the Technical Preview period (which I did opt in to) and my computer runs on solid state drive (SSD).
I do agree that a major upgrade should not be snuck in like a Patch Tuesday hotfix, but done through user initiated prompts.
Unfortunately Windows 10 will be doing major upgrades and disguising them as updates (it already did so for build 10586); the next scheduled upgrade even has a progress screen disguised as a WU progress screen.

Anybody using Windows on a regular old hard drive should keep in mind that their data is going to be mixed up and fragmented, so before running an in-place upgrade such users should obtain a decent defrag program and use it after the upgrade is finished, in order to restore system performance.

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm

<quote user="site-rater">
Anybody using Windows on a regular old hard drive should keep in mind that their data is going to be mixed up and fragmented, so before running an in-place upgrade such users should obtain a decent defrag program and use it after the upgrade is finished, in order to restore system performance.
[/quote]

Could not agree more. My choice is Condusiv’s Diskeeper 15, but there are many decent ones.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Advance email notices, news articles, and quarter-screen sized pop-ups notwithstanding, three news articles dutifully reported that the woman "had never heard of Windows 10"; so I can imagine quite a few other things she hadn't heard of, that would have smoothed either a transition or a reversion.

I can't excuse Microsoft for not providing a more obvious opt-out, and certainly not for repurposing the close (X) button, but because her main complaint was an OS fruitcake, it's too bad they couldn't dust her power button for thumb prints.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:43 pm

"Read that earlier on Beta News. . . so are you trying to pick on me dear.:
What was that song from the Animals
"But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good:
Oh Lord! Please don't let me be misunderstood"
No,no, I didn't try to pick on you, I thought that it could be of help, there was no other reason behind it, actually I was thinking about an article that caught my attention
"China builds world's most powerful computer"
=http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36575947
"runs on a Linux-based operating system"
I was wondering why they chose Linux, but I read this article that blew my mind
=http://www.howtogeek.com/189036/android-is-based-on-linux-but-what-does-that-mean
There is so much to be learn and Matik's project , piqued my curiosity and I can't stop researching
Sorry for going off topic, but I just wanted to let you know ))