Court upholds net neutrality

Site-rater

Court upholds net neutrality

Post by Site-rater » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:22 pm

hxxp://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/technology/net-neutrality-fcc-appeals-court-ruling.html
Simply put, the District Court has upheld FCC'so ruling treating ISPs as telecom utilities.
The ISPs have promised to appeal unfortunately.

A440

RE: Court upholds net neutrality

Post by A440 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:36 pm

ISPs in America are terrible and trying as hard as they may to weasel laws through congress that benefit them only.
Even now, I get better service, at a better price in South Korea than i would from most of these grifters.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:28 am

<quote user="a440">
ISPs in America are terrible and trying as hard as they may to weasel laws through congress that benefit them only.
Even now, I get better service, at a better price in South Korea than i would from most of these grifters.
[/quote]

You are fortunate in that regard to live there where(and other nations) you may have 20-30 companies competing for your business. In that environment none of them dare treat you badly.

In the U.S. our lawmakers have taken their cue from the cable lobbies and essentially left people with a "take-it-or-leave-it" proposition. In a big city they can choose between one cable company or one DSL company.

Furthermore those monopolies have every incentive to treat people like ****. If they were to implement policies which were the least bit better their stock prices would take a hit.

If one makes the mistake of living in a rural area here neither of those may be available. They may get more competitors- but all of them are going to be different degrees of awful.

However, in the U.S. not all is lost. A miracle recently happened: The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission is the former cable lobby's leading lobbyist- and a Republican. Recently he gave some very favorable rulings to the consumer including endorsing treating ISPs like utilities. The odds of those events happening were about those of the Marlboro Man coming out for smoking cessation.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:03 pm

<quote user="apollo702">
The odds of those events happening were about those of the Marlboro Man coming out for smoking cessation.
[/quote]
In case people didn't know, at least two Marlboro Men did indeed come out for smoking cessation (remove spaces to activate the links):
http :// www . snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marlboro.asp

As did a Winston model:
https :// www . youtube.com/watch?v=jP15ZM8N8v8

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:55 pm

I am sorry for the slow response but I am still gathering myself. I got struck by a flying pig. Maybe the next obstacle will be Ronald Macdonald coming out for anti-obesity?

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:23 am

<quote user="apollo702">Recently he gave some very favorable rulings to the consumer including endorsing treating ISPs like utilities.[/quote]

Do you really believe that?
Cable companies have always had different tiers for Internet access, and they still do.
There's the "basic" (slow), "standard" (medium), and "premium" (high speed) tier.
All Net access starts out as "high speed", the cable company must throttle down access speeds for the slower tiers.
For Netflix to "work" you need the "premium" service, aka: the "streaming" service.

Let's compare this "utility" with say... the water company.
The pressure on the water main at the street is constant, call it "fast" or "premium."
At your house's entry point, let's install a remote-controlled regulator to lower pressure.

The water company now has tiered-services.
"basic" = takes an hour to fill up your sink to wash dishes, you must rinse by dipping in a second sink, pressure too low to rinse under running water.
"standard" = you can wash and rinse dishes from a slow faucet, but it takes an hour to fill up the bathtub, or washer machine.
"premium" = you can take a shower, wash your clothes, or water your lawn.

Imagine if the electric company had "tiered services" for your power needs.
Below "premium" you cold not operate an electric:
stove, water heater, central air conditioner, electric furnace, etc.