Mozilla Firefox 3.6.4 Final (Solution?)

Meat_Wagon

Mozilla Firefox 3.6.4 Final (Solution?)

Post by Meat_Wagon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 am

Always good to keep your Fox up to date I guess, so I upgraded to Mozilla Firefox 3.6.4 Final, wondering if that word: 'Final' means it will no longer load?
Sure I have AWC (the new build) that blocks a lot of the ad-cookies the FF loves, but after 2 tries to upgrade, even disabled AWC during both tries, & two frozen loads, no yahoo, no nothing, so I went back to the last version, loaded a charm fast. Maybe it's just over-tweaking my security add-ons? Other browser MSIE-8 loads fine, but be careful and don't delete your old Firefox Setup 3.6.3.exe file, just yet. 'K?
Anyone else got the new [gone feral] F-Fox 3.6.4?

M_W

It must be yuo as I have

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:36 am

It must be you as I have just updated to FF3.6.4 and have no problems as everything seems to be working fine :)

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

Agree

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:07 am

Though I have not updated from 3.6.3, I tend to agree with IssViews. Stating the obvious here, but each system is so different that it really depends on what's on it and then whether or not a certain piece of software will "work and play well" with all the other stuff.

For example, when I was using Windows (am a 'nix fanboy now), Avira just would not function properly with my system, so I switched to Avast and everything was fine. That didn't mean Avira was "bad", it just meant that it didn't "work and play well" with the config of my system (antivirus programs are notoriously cranky).

Apparently, the upgrade of FF on your system, Meat_Wagon, didn't like something else on your system. That happens now and then for some systems. You were wise to revert. Perhaps the next FF upgrade will work with your system.

Jazspeak

Re: Firefox 3.6.4

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 pm

It works fine on my system. I did have to investigate the Plugin Container program before I was entirely happy with this version but everything seems to be OK.

sebsauvage

Firefox plugins

Post by sebsauvage » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Beware of Firefox plugins:

- some are not well maintained and do not work with newer FF versions.
- some are incompatible with each other (and that's not mentioned anywhere)
- some plugin slow down FF a lot.
- some combination of plugins slow down FF too.

Rule of thumb: Use as few extensions as possible.

I was surprised to get a very good speed boost in page display just by disabling a few addons.

Jazspeak

Echo

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:49 pm

All too frequently it seems that people think that because Firefox will install a plugin extension, or theme/skin, the computer must be able to run it. Unfortunately there is a limit to the amount of resources on any computer, and so there is a limit to the number of plugins, et al, that any computer will run before beginning the decline into system overload.