WOT is just a cover for malicious, anonymous people

dan2k9

WOW. thats quite a huge

Post by dan2k9 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:50 pm

WOW. thats quite a huge statement.

can i ask what is the website in question?

Sami

Re: WOT is just a cover for malicious, anonymous people

Post by Sami » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I believe he's referring to [url=http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/anfearrua.com t=_self]anfearrua.com[/url].

Sometimes I wonder if website owners really feel posts like this are the best way to inspire trust in other people. Guys, you need to calm down unless you want to come across as raving lunatics... if people don't think your site's reputation is correct, they'll correct it and all you need to do is ask.

Edit:

What I'm saying is that it's understandable to get emotional over user ratings, but experience has shown that posting angry rants on the forum will usually only make matters worse. Most people who read the forum will look at your behavior and are likely to quickly decide that you cannot be trusted and as a result, neither can your website. It's always best to calm down before you do any further damage, and only then post a message where you request users to review your site's reputation.

</free reputation management advice>

Llass

False security alerts

Post by Llass » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 pm

As an IT administrator who visits the above site I was very surprised that the WOT decided to block the website. I usually had a 100 percent trust in it, but now I will take it with a pinch of salt.

Jazspeak

Re WOT is just a cover...

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:22 pm

The scorecard shows only one bad comment from a WOT user, who is so "anonymous" that he gave a website address in the comment, and in any case the commentator states "Has been accused of..." as though the comment is at best hearsay.

It would seem that the site was easily downrated because there were not many ratings to begin with. However, having your site so easily downrated is not any reason to be alleging that "WOT is just a cover for malicious, anonymous people".

-----------------------------

~Music is not just for the Masses~

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Is it this site? http://www.mywot.com/de/scorecard/anfearrua.com

If it´s yor site, why is the registrant

Carr, Gary
CrystalSoft Consulting Ltd.
53 Clonkeen
Ratoath
Co. Meath, Meath
IE

And why don´t you write a comment as an owner but as an [url=http://www.mywot.com/de/scorecard/anfearrua.com/comment-8622657 t=_self]customer[/url]?Tell us sth about:Trust

Blueberry Cake Level Member of the WOT Community

Llass

Many

Post by Llass » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Many firewalls/browsers/search engines work on a baseline of white lists and black lists, and to have one person add this to the blacklist with one posting is disturbing.

Sami

Re: False security alerts

Post by Sami » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:31 pm

This isn't a security alert and WOT doesn't actually decide anything, it only computes reputations for websites from user ratings and thereby tells you how much other users trust websites. You can contribute to these reputations by rating sites.

You should also pay attention to the confidence indicator (the small human figures next to the rating symbol), which tell you how reliable WOT considers the reputation. It's not very smart to consider anything 100% reliable.

Sami

Re: Many

Post by Sami » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Reputations are computed from [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_vs._comments t=_self]ratings, not comments[/url]. Even if there's just one comment for a website, it doesn't mean the reputation is based on just that user's opinion.

Jazspeak

Re: "Many firewalls/browsers/search engines..."

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:39 pm

@Llass - That is not the way that WOT works. I recommend that you read the WOT FAQs and the WOT wiki to learn about WOT.

-----------------------------

~Music is not just for the Masses~

Llass

When the WOT warning alerted

Post by Llass » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 pm

When the WOT warning alerted me to the website, it blocked access to me and said it had a poor reputation, based on what?? I now know what its based on, nothing..

I for one will be uninstalling and relying on my firewall alone.