WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Mbells

RE: WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS

Post by Mbells » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:39 pm

<quote user="mario692">
P.S. Here is a source in english: hxxp://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/01/browsing-history-sold/ (replace hxxp by http)

Money quote:
[/quote]
Who are You?
. https://www.mywot.com/en/user/7843536/track

Rookie member Member since November 2016
<quote user="geryoei">
As a result the major browser developer have stopped supporting WOT:
It has been replaced in the
- Mozilla
- Chrome
- IE
stores already.
Safari to follow.

Which is the best reaction they can do. It is getting difficult for the WOT team. I wish they would declare more open what they really in detail where transmitting and selling:

Trust is a very precious gem - once destroyed it is difficult to rebuild and depending on the follow up reaction probably impossible to regain.

In my opinion completely openess including a full disclosure of the code as well as the data structures that where transmitted and a extensive explanation what data in which granularity was sold is necessary.
[/quote]
And You?
Member since September 2013
2 Scorecard comments
https://www.mywot.com/en/user/5415734/comments

Jtaylor83

Post by Jtaylor83 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:07 am

Typical corporate run German media silencing critics by framing them to protect their reputation

Just like claiming that Ripoff Report is scam.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 am

<quote user="jtaylor83">
Typical corporate run German media silencing critics by framing them to protect their reputation

Just like claiming that Ripoff Report is scam.
[/quote]

You have no idea what you are talking about, right? Don't assume that everything is wrong that you don't understand. Or which is against your belief. Like the rating of scientology ;)

geryoei

Post by geryoei » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:02 pm

<quote user="mbells">
Who are You?
. https://www.mywot.com/en/user/7843536/track

Rookie member Member since November 2016

And You?
Member since September 2013
2 Scorecard comments
https://www.mywot.com/en/user/5415734/comments
[/quote]

1st: It's not about me
2nd: I am using WOT but not commenting much sites.

Full stop.

EDIT:

erratum:
2nd I WAS using WOT...

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:53 pm

<quote user="kraftwerk">
You have no idea what you are talking about, right? Don't assume that everything is wrong that you don't understand. Or which is against your belief. Like the rating of scientology ;)
[/quote]

ditto

luntrus

Post by luntrus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:37 pm

The only thing we can hope for now is that de-anonymizing of info transferred was not intentionaly performedl.

Acess to data can be bought legally from one source to another , whether by commerce or otherwise. Everything has a price.

This is common big business everywhere. Google's enterprise is completely based on doing this and no-one questions such practices. WoT is free, so we benefit all from the service with our data being the product as with other free software.

The only mistake WoT made against the rules was that they did not spell this right out in their user conditions.
For instance like ABP did with their German commercial whitelisting bureau to offer paid circumvention of adblocking.

Also Ghostery states that they deal in your adtracking info with commercial third party entities (if you allow them to do so). It was the ad-industry that created the extension. But I do not think that was the idea behind WoT as a service, at least until 2015?

Every mobile carrier sells your data access to third parties (other carriers/ad-launchers), that is no public secret. They rate 1200 dollars a months, and advertisement-acces to a mobile number on another carrier will cost you from 250 up to 750 dollars.

So the only thing we can accuse WoT of is that at least they did not do a very smart job by not being frank about this.

Hopefully this was an expensive brand damaging lesson to learn.

luntrus

Armored

Post by Armored » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:41 am

I just uninstalled this pathetic add-on. I always knew you were selling our browsing habits you hinted that in your dodgy privacy policy. But to think that it was possible to link this info to individual users is very scary. I didn't think that was possible. You are indeed greedy.
[red]Rated[/red] This add-on and website has been going down hill ever since the management change.

@All the wot users who would have rated safer websites red for lesser sins and who refuse to rate this website red are hypocrites.

almarma

Post by almarma » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:46 pm

<quote user="mario692">
Also, the story was covered by a German public TV station, comparable to BBC or NPR. This is really happening. The complete browser history of everyone who had WoT installed is now being sold by data brokers, some of them have their headquarter in Panama or British Virgin Islands. So it will be incredible difficult to make them delete your data.
[/quote]

If what you says end happening, I think they will end up sued by A TON of users, me included. I'm registered here since 2009. If all of that info from me is available for sale from 2009 to 2016, I have an issue, but they will have one too. I promise

geryoei

Post by geryoei » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:43 am

heise news reported:

Now the official german (lda.bayern.de) and the official finish data protection offices (tietosuoja.fi) have started official investigations on this issue.

freespirit0294

Post by freespirit0294 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:25 pm

<quote user="">
This is the server:
Name: prod-mywo-mywotpop-175cqrplyb0n9-2133581242.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses: 52.5.242.93
Aliases: secure.mywot.com
[/quote]

How do you get to the page where you can block this server?