User update from WOT

destinationtruth

RE: User update from WOT

Post by destinationtruth » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:11 pm

As of this posting: Time Stamp 11/3/2016 4:10:19 PM CST
There seems to be no add on at Mozilla, Chrome Store, and IE store.

????

Unbiased

Post by Unbiased » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 pm

addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/wot/ - The page you requested does not exist

MKLS

Post by MKLS » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
There seems to be no add on at Mozilla, Chrome Store or for IE store.

????
[/quote]

The addon was banned from all stores for violation of the their transparency guidelines.

MKLS

Post by MKLS » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm

Well, i am not a troll. I posted evidence (several trusted news sites) and you removed it. All i wanted is to give some information, especially because it was just published in German news and is not available in English right now. Mozilla did not made an official statement yet, but i am sure that they will.
I understand that you don't trust me, because i just registered this account.
The problem is that i can't tell you my previous account name because i don't want to be associated with WOT anymore. My complete browsing history has been leaked, and as a strong defender of (my own) privacy i had to remove all traces.

mario692

Post by mario692 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:17 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
There seems to be no add on at Mozilla, Chrome Store, and IE store.

????
[/quote]

Yes, Mozilla and others removed the addon - at least temporarily. Mozilla said that numerous users reported abuse and after looking into this, they found that WoT violates Mozilla's transparency guidelines.
Source (in german): hxxps://heise.de/-3455990 (replace hxxps by https)

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:40 pm

<quote user="mkls">
Well, i am not a troll. I posted evidence (several trusted news sites) and you removed it. All i wanted is to give some information, especially because it was just published in German news and is not available in English right now. Mozilla did not made an official statement yet, but i am sure that they will.
I understand that you don't trust me, because i just registered this account.
The problem is that i can't tell you my previous account name because i don't want to be associated with WOT anymore. My complete browsing history has been leaked, and as a strong defender of (my own) privacy i had to remove all traces.
[/quote]

Well I do know who you might be and I understand, but you also can understand how this could get out of control.
WoT screwed up. . . . lets see where this goes from here. You also know no one has bitched more then me at admin.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:59 am

According to the update noted at hxxps://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1314332#c6 (right before WOT became closed-source) the add-on was modified to log every URL visited, and attempt to obfuscate it by applying Base64 encoding twice.

The commit for the Firefox add-on is at hxxps://github.com/mywot/firefox-xul/commit/0df107cae8ac18901bd665acace4b369c244a3f9

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:06 am

I do not use the add-on.
Should I still worry about security issues in using WOT?

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:22 am

I was contacted by a friend in Switzerland who does InfoSec for a living. He told me about the German media investigation, but suggested I check Wikipedia first. I am an editor on Wikipedia, so I visited the WOT services article. There is a new section there, under the heading "Privacy Concerns". I read it, then checked all the sources. NDR conducted the investigation. NDR seems reputable, as they are a German public broadcasting station. Although I don't know much German, I was able to infer that Der Spiegel and heise picked up the story from NDR. My knowledge of German is not good enough to fact check everything in the Wikipedia (English) article, although I made some edits. I checked on the Wikipedia talk page, but the only recent discussion was about the absence of the mywot browser plugin from the MyWOT website, which others have already mentioned in this thread.

Some of the concerns about privacy are specific to German law, e.g. the fact that information was stored "overseas" according to German media. Germany has different requirements than the US. In the US, it doesn't matter if information is stored in the US, or Finland or anywhere else. That is only a minor aspect of the news though. The part about MyWOT selling insufficiently anonymized user information to third-parties, as collected by the browser plugin, was not described in any detail.

Also, the scope of the concern was described as 3 million German users, based on a sample of 50 users. I couldn't find anything further, to confirm the veracity of the NDR investigation methods, or whether the concern was limited to German users or potentially affected all users of the browser plugin, regardless of IP address/country.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Regarding the Wikipedia article, has it been proofread for NPOV, proper sources, etc.?
Should one of the tags at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Current_event_templates be used on the article?