Wikipedia "was" completely rewritten to say WOT doesn't exist anymore

NotBuyingIt

RE: Wikipedia "was" completely rewritten to say WOT doesn't exis

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
… and if they [the WOT admins] don't care enough to do so; then why should you worry about this issue.
[/quote]
Sympathy for the maligned, perhaps? Impatience with a witch-hunting editor at Wikipedia, perhaps?
&nbsp;

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
Sympathy for the maligned, perhaps? Impatience with a witch-hunting editor at Wikipedia, perhaps?
&nbsp;
[/quote]

Perhaps.
I still feel it is admin that should address this matter to retain some respect after all the kerfuffle and distrust their add on caused. It is their reputation that is at stake; certainly not mine, not yours, or an member here. . . And this being a reputation web site / service I would think they would / should quickly address. Would you not agree.

Now if one (and again would prefer it be WoT) wanted to start a petition from members here to correct the information at Wikipedia I would most certainly sign.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
And this being a reputation web site / service I would think they would / should quickly address. Would you not agree.
[/quote]
I am sympathetic to your argument; yet I expect that popular legal opinion would be for WOT's management to say nothing publicly for the time being. The unanswered falsehoods will surely be cited in these forums by both vengeful strangers and confused site owners. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to hold out hope that Wikipedia has any sincere interest in correcting the record (or even correcting its grammar).
&nbsp;

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:58 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
I am sympathetic to your argument; yet I expect that popular legal opinion would be for WOT's management to say nothing publicly for the time being. The unanswered falsehoods will surely be cited in these forums by both vengeful strangers and confused site owners. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to hold out hope that Wikipedia has any sincere interest in correcting the record (or even correcting its grammar).
&nbsp;
[/quote]

I agree about legal aspect. Also can see where this will be used on the forum if not corrected. It will be interesting to see where this goes from here. I personally don't see anything to happen with regard to corrections for sometime.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:26 pm

<quote user="redblade7">
I have been threatened with a Wikipedia ban as three editors repeatedly restore part or all of the vandalism. I ask that you come along and stand up for me and WOT against the three users reponsible for this. Freenode #wikipedia is refusing to help and claiming I am the guilty one. I have already sent an email.[/quote]

I can try to help you. If you look at the talk page, you can see that I got into an argument in December 2016 with editors as I was trying to inquire about this: "Is there any way we can get proof from whatever equivalent of US states' Departments of Commerce where WOT services is listed as a live company?" Some German Wikipedia editors called me stupid and worse, but it was nothing awful. There is a Finnish registry of companies in which mywot is listed. Unfortunately, it is listed as TOW instead of WOT now. A lot of this was discussed on the Wikipedia article talk page for mywot, as well as here in the forums.

I will go have a look at the status of the article now, and see if there is anything I can do. I understand how upsetting it can be to get in a tussle with people on Wikipedia.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:47 am

<quote user="redblade7">
I have been threatened with a Wikipedia ban as three editors repeatedly restore part or all of the vandalism. I ask that you come along and stand up for me and WOT against the three users reponsible for this. Freenode #wikipedia is refusing to help and claiming I am the guilty one. I have already sent an email.
[/quote]

Redblade7, I checked the talk page of the Wikipedia article about mywot. Some good editors stepped in and re-instated most of your corrections. The Wikipedia article about WOT has been restored to what you had, for the most part. It isn't perfect, but at least it doesn't say that WOT doesn't exist anymore! I am not claiming credit for any of this, as I didn't know about it until yesterday.

Most of the corrective activity occurred between your post here on June 6 and June 8. If you have a look at the talk page, and the article, I think you will see that the situation is better. (DISCLAIMER: I can't say anymore because we aren't supposed to talk about Wikipedia project work off-site. I am just making general references to what you can see from visiting the URLs directly yourself.)

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 pm

<quote user="javelina">
(DISCLAIMER: I can't say anymore because we aren't supposed to talk about Wikipedia project work off-site. I am just making general references to what you can see from visiting the URLs directly yourself.)
[/quote]

(I haven't checked the page yet but...) How can Wikipedia legally force you to keep secrets when your contributions are licensed under Creative Commons?

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Just a question:

Whats the probelm with the English wikipedia page? It happens quite often that low qualitiy and manipulation is reported- and no one cares.

Just compare the English article with the German article. It'S worthless. To say it clearly. In German wikipedia these kinds of articles won't even be accepted

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:04 pm

<quote user="kraftwerk">
Just a question: Whats the probelm with the English wikipedia page? It happens quite often that low qualitiy and manipulation is reported- and no one cares.

Just compare the English article with the German article. It'S worthless. To say it clearly. In German wikipedia these kinds of articles won't even be accepted.[/quote]

Good question, Kraftwerk! I ask myself that, quite often: What IS the problem with English Wikipedia, or rather, what is the problem with the people who edit English Wikipedia? You're correct, that the English Wikipedia article about mywot as well as many English Wikipedia articles in general, are distorted by manipulation, bias, special interests, external agendas and so forth. In order to get someone in a position of authority to help, or even regular contributors to the project, a lot of effort is required, and even then, the outcome is uncertain. Certain editors seem to be Wikipedia "favorites" for reasons that aren't clear to me, and thus can do no wrong. Well, let's just say that rules of behavior and quality standards don't seem applicable to those individuals.

German Wikipedia editors are MUCH easier to work with, in my opinion. I don't know the German language, but I have contributed to German Wikipedia articles in collaborative efforts. It is a pleasure to work with German Wikipedia editors because they follow the rules, don't indulge in ad hominem attacks, aren't as petty or capricious as what I have experienced on English Wikipedia. German Wikipedia has provided lots of high quality tools (e.g. JavaScript widgets for repetitive editing, robust accessibility aides for editors with visual impairment, meta type queries that are fast and innovative) that are deployed across the entire Wikimedia platform for all projects.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 am

It appears that Wikipedia handled the articles "Grand_Theft_Auto_V" and "Take-Two_Interactive" more strictly in wake of recent vandalisms there, as both pages got semi-protected to discourage vandalism.

The "WOT_Services" page is semi-protected, but the POV content in the headline is still standing.

Also, perhaps someone could fill in the blanks regarding WOT Firefox for instance? Perhaps they could cite the forum? https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/76764-co ... on-firefox
As the post is signed by an "Admin" account it should stand up to Wikipedia's standards.