Lawsuit

Keavs

Nevernind

Post by Keavs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Covering it in another thread, sorry.

Vesa P

Dispute with Career Network Inc et all. - short status update

Post by Vesa P » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 am

Duane Morris LLP, which represents WOT Services Ltd., has filed a motion to dismiss based on e.g. following reasons:

All plaintiff’s claims are barred by the Communications Decency Act of 1996 (“CDA”), 47 U.S.C. § 230, which preempts such attempts to hold website operators, like WOT, from liability for the content posted by third-party users. US congress enacted Section 230 of the CDA to give web site operators immunity from tort claims for third-party content because it recognized that such liability would have a chilling effect on speech and stifle the development of valuable resources, such as WOT.

kimgordon

RE: Lawsuit

Post by kimgordon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 am

Haven't WOT founders created a platform were they and others benefit from possible defamatory comments. Now with the power to halt companies on Facebook I am sure that many issues including conflicts of interest between owners and the ability to influence action against all world sites. There is so much room for corruption and the rating system is terrible flawed.

Do users always make possible business destroying comments based on evidence?

Can opposition companies conspire to destroy the reputation of a competitor on WOT?

It is somewhat like the P2P sites creating a platform for piracy. The courts are ruling against Limewire and co for this.

WOT founders have a responsibility for the environment especially when they are given more powers to defame others.

Sami

Post by Sami » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm

So [url=http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/blog.kazaa.com/comment-23065762 t=_self]you don't think[/url] it's reasonable to say that people don't trust Kazaa? Personally, I would be surprised if they did, but maybe that's just me. You may want to [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Common_misconceptions t=_self]read the FAQ[/url] though.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:23 am

Yeah I heard about that see: http://i54.tinypic.com/263yhqe.jpg

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:23 am

Just some old news of a useless lawsuit...

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:03 am

As far as I know, WOT has been sued unsuccessfully several times. I don't think things even got out of the gate . . . not much past the discovery stage.

Though Sami could be more precise on that . . . this is just my guess.

I DO know that WOT has been threatened many times . . . usually by scammers that are pissed off they've been rated poorly, and now and then just by pissed off site owners that refuse to calm down and are mad WOT raters called their baby ugly.

It's the classic circumstance where they refuse to look inwardly and always want to blame somebody other than themselves.

And foolishly they think that a threat will make raters back down or WOT to "censor" the votes.

Again, speculation on my part, but I think most of the suits and threats are based on comments on the scorecard, so it DOES make some sense to make reasonable comments.

We had one young fellow in Germany, mishacc I think was the screen name, that was threatened with some kind of legal action unique apparently in Germany and the fellow, a youth I think, withdrew from WOT completely.

I can't remember exactly, but I think that may have had something to do with his parents not wanting to risk their assets and this German law.

But to reiterate, it's always wise that if you make a comment it should be founded in some kind of legitimate objection.

Though I don't think WOT has ever been successfully sued nor do I think it ever will be, it certainly could happen and I wouldn't hang my hat on the notion that you or WOT is immune.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 am

Such suits take years to go to trial if they ever do. The publicity surrounding a trial would do more harm to a company's reputation than WOT could ever do.

Lawsuits are more attractive to companies that don't ever expect to have a reputable name. They hope to intimidate people who speak out against their activities. It gives them a few more years before their name is so bad they have to fold and reorganize under another name anyway.

You'll see lots of companies with lots of negative comments but whose donuts are green anyway, just because of the number of people who use their websites who aren't attuned to the problems. Any company that plans to be in business in five or ten years under the same name will go about building their business whether they can get a good WOT rating now or not.

1happycamper

Post by 1happycamper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 am

I'm a law student, currently enrolled in law school in the USA and I'm curious, does anyone know how the motion to dismiss worked out for WOT, was it successful or still pending?

Thanks.

Please contact the mywot management for questions! (RE: Lawsuit)

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 am

@1happycamper

I'm a bit curious too. Being a law student, you should (a) be able to look up the status of lawsuits yourself and (b) know that it's best to contact the people involved.

Therefore, I think it's best if you would contact the mywot management directly for questions related to legal stuff. We here are merely members... in simpler words: we're just registered users of the system (like you). And we sure can not give you any legal information (mainly, because we don't have any/all information about such legal proceedings).

For your convenience, here is a link to the mywot contact/feedback form where you can reach the mywot management so you can direct your questions to them directly: http://www.mywot.com/en/support/feedback

I hope I could help you a bit by pointing you into the right direction.

Regards.

---

@ALL: Please do not post any replies to this. Let mywot handle such questions directly! (I have already send them a heads-up.)