unrated, or the disappearing circle of trust

siblingshot

unrated, or the disappearing circle of trust

Post by siblingshot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm

First off, as a newbie to these forums, please forgive me if I'm posting this topic in the wrong place, or if the same query has been asked, and/or previously answered elsewhere.

I have used WOT in Firefox - as an addon to assist in flagging phishing sites, etc - for a number of years. My own site - an entertainments and arts blog - routinely returned on Google search engines with the green circle of trust. From its inception in 2008. This is no longer the case: while a number of older posts, long indexed, continue to yield the green rating, a search under title or (custom) domain name, I see, now returns as 'unrated' - a grey circle with accompanying question mark.

I'm more than a little perplexed as to why this might be the case.

SibLINGSHOT ON THE BLEACHERS - a site compiling original writing and illustration; in addition to critical music review - is ranked as 8.0 on Blogged; is regularly updated on Hype Machine; Totally Fuzzy; Stumble Upon; and received an award for excellency (Reviews and Recommendations) in 2010 from Theater Seat Store.

i☆

RE: unrated, or the disappearing circle of trust

Post by i☆ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Could you please provide a link? (I don't doubt you, but I would like to have a look for myself :).)

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Apologies.

The URL is www.siblingshot.com. My site was originally published on Blogspot, but migrated to a custom domain in Jan, 2010. Backlinks predating the migration are automatically redirected through Google.

Sami

Post by Sami » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 am

It's possible for a previously rated site to become unrated again when the confidence level (the small human figures next to the reputation) decreases below the minimum threshold. This can happen when more users rate the site under certain circumstances. The site will have a reputation again once more people rate it.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:22 am

Thank you, Sami. Might I ask you to expand on "under certain circumstances" ? I note that the 'confidence' level currently exhibited on Google Search is 0 little human figures out of a possible 5 (that unrated conundrum you explained), but that on my - newly registered, admittedly - WOT profile, it is 1 out of 5. Any reason for this discrepency ?

I am guessing that on all Blogspot published website, a newly created blog will secure a green approval. As a result of its association de facto with Google. Might a migration to a custom domain 'reset' that result ?

Also, there was a period last year when new content published routinely attracted random anonymous comments directing to WOT, which I thought quite odd; all seemingly unrelated to site content. My site now employs anti spam filtering to weed out automatically generated marketing ploys. The site itself is non-profit motivated, and involves no direct sales.

Could I intrude on you to to take a look, and possibly rate it ?

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:15 am

Do I need to create a new topic to request a review, or can I safely do so within this thread ?

i☆

Post by i☆ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm

When I search for it on Google, I just see the ? icon, i.e. zero confidence icons. As for creating another thread, I would think it is okay, but be sure to mention this thread so that you don't get flamed for "spamming."

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank you I. As I mentioned, the site migrated - a year ago - to a custom domain, but is redirected via the old domain address via Google. Enter a Google search, with the blogspot address, and the first line returned is with a solid green ring of trust:

ie, enter: siblingshot.blogspot.com = https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=siblingshot.blogspot.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:20 pm

siblingshot.blogspot.com
first, this is a subdomain of blogspot.com, it inherits blogspots reputation until enough ratings are collected to gain it's own reputation. Think of a subdomain as a "child" and the root as the "parent" The parent shields the child until they have "gronw up" and left home. :) WOt Wiki: [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Rating_subdomains t=_self]subdomain[/url]

siblingshot.com is a different site than siblingshot.blogspot.com
ratings do not "transfer" from one domain to another; something to think about when deciding on switching and/or redirecting names / domains.

As for siblingshot.com
page colors are poor, text is very small, graphics are mature content (maybe the unreadable text as well?)
I offer a Child Safety rating of "poor" but decline to rate the other categories ATM.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Fair enough, g7w. I do not recall asking for input on purely subjective issues.

The introductory thrust of your comment, however, is somewhat illuminating. Your capabilty in terms of graphic design, and content, considerably less so. If you find the text a little on the small side, might I suggest you use the facility to magnify the same within your browser ?

The Child Safety issue is germaine. I will grant you that. Since the site actively seeks a sophisticated, primarily older, audience I make scant apology for the content. Confrontational, or otherwise.

Stay tuned.