nightrewards.com

Jazspeak

RE: nightrewards.com

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 am

<quote user="crysdaye1">
"Will you take this message down now."
[/quote]

Since my comment is valid, I will not take it down.

BTW, it might be interesting to know how the OP site thinks that "Professional Teachers, Sales Executives, Business Executives and Graphic Artists" are suited to giving dating advice.

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Greetings CrysDaye1 and ChedSpeth,

I apologize that I've not yet had an opportunity to review your requests. Let me start with this message and see what I can do to help. I've not fully reviewed the comments above, but it seems there may have been a misunderstanding.

If I may summarize, your goal is to establish an online singles social website that offers coupons and incentives for romantic venues, dining, and events. Based on a presumed future growth in membership, you hope that merchant partners will join the network as a way to advertise and promote their products to this target market.

As I skim over the comments above, it seems the use of the word spam has resulted in some heated discussion.

You'll recall from years past, it was common to use "direct mail" campaigns to send printed materials to people's mailboxes and homes. Alternatives to this have involved leafleting cars, hanging ads on doorknobs, or posting flyers. All of these items were commonly considered "junk mail" and typically irritated people, except for the few who might be interested in what's offered.

As email became more commonly used, those in the direct mail industry saw this as a real advantage because they could mail out thousands of advertising "pieces" at little to no cost. The principle of distribution had not changed. Culturally, people viewed their email boxes as different than the mail. Email and telephones were considered to be more private. So, this is when the federal government got involved to help stop unsolicited phone calls and emails. This led to establishing the CAN SPAM act. You can read a little more about that here:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/07/canspam.shtm

and here:
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61 ... e-business

Today the term "SPAM" has become an all encompassing derogatory term to refer to unsolicited, annoying, deceptive, and often illegal emails. Your instructor may have been referring to the legal and illegal uses of SPAM somewhat jokingly.

It's true that you can probably use "direct advertising by email" (what you call SPAM) through following the guidelines outlined in the links provided above. However, I'd suggest you seek the guidance of an experienced marketing consultant or firm. They will tell you that the use of direct advertising by email is: (1) frequently misunderstood and considered to only be used by fraudulent companies, (2) an annoyance to those who receive it, (3) a quick way to end up on blacklists for spamming, (4) and ineffective.

There are many options today that are much better than the advertising approaches from 30 years ago. An example would be advertising on Facebook. You can deliver ads to a specific demographic of people likely interested in what you're offering (and much less likely to be annoyed). The functionality is essentially opt-in because if they're interested, they click on your ad, and if they aren't interested, they don't click.

For reaching singles, you may want to partner with similar sites. You're not competing with "dating" sites since your'e not offering a mechanism for meeting singles. So, your advertising shouldn't be viewed as competitive.

Regarding your site rating. Because the site is new, and doesn't have a lot of visitors, there's no significant flow of visitors to help rate the site positively -- which also means that few if any people will be concerned about it having a negative rating at this point.

You'll find your site will eventually be "rated" by many blogs and websites that evaluate online resources. Some of those may have greater impact on your site traffic (or lack of traffic) than WOT.

Not that you would, but I thought I should mention that I'd recommend not paying people to write favorable articles about your site. Whatever exposure and publicity your site gets, it should be genuine. It's easy to identify when a paid content writer is promoting your site. Let your site be evaluated side-by-side with others like it. Some SEO people recommend paid content for backlinks, but it's generally a bad idea.

I'll await a further reply from you before writing more.

Best Regards,
Greg

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:50 pm

I was looking at the Night Rewards members page. It took a while for over 230 items to load. That's considered a lot. Google (a fairly popular site) has 12 items. MSN, an extremely busy and content dense page has 47 items. So, having 230 items is excessive.

Whoever did this for you (to you) is creating a problem. I'd suggest finding another website company.

By viewing the source HTML programming of the page, I discovered 628 lines of code. That's also much more than one would normally expect to find.

The most immediate problem I recognized is your use of meta keywords seems excessive and includes the following:

"nightrewards, night rewards, rewards, nightrewardsnetwork, nightrewardsocials, mynightrewards, free listing, free advertisement, partner, affiliate, merchant, dating market, points, optimum rewards, rewards program, rewards at night, express night rewards, night rewards as priority, points program, deal, best deal program, restaurant awards program, hotel deal, restaurant deal, game deal, dining deal, dining deals, entertainment, entertainment tonight, entertainment weekly, custom night rewards, premium rewards, organic rewards, hotel savings, airline deal, theme park savings, concert tickets, theater shows, night clubs, benefits at restaurants, restaurant discounts, restaurant ratings, dining discounts,restaurant menus, dining deals, bars, night clubs, food blogs, restaurants,nightlife, menus, loyalty programs, frequent dining programs, breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dining, restaurant certificates, restaurant coupons, restaurant guide, rewards network and deal of the day, merchant."

Having too many keywords can result in some or all being ignored. It waters down the impact of your SEO efforts.

Also, I notice keywords that don't appear in the site title or page text. So, this will be interpreted by Google and other search engines as an attempt to get listed in search results that you don't really qualify for.

Perhaps you could have the person who is doing your website visit here for some additional suggestions.

Best Regards,
Greg

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I visited your mobile site (nightrewards. mobi) and found a link you will want to fix. The Event calendar link is pointing to this address file:///G:/My%20Web%20Sites/nedsco/calendar/Calendar.html

It should point to the location of the calendar online.

One aspect of website reviewing (here and elsewhere) is to make an assessment of the reliability and trustworthiness of the interface -- which is recognized as not being a commentary about the legitimacy of the business running the site. So, a site may get rated as not reliable or not trustworthy in the sense that people don't trust it to work properly.

So, correcting these types of issues can help.

Regarding the .mobi extension and the need to have a separate mobile site... It almost seems like you've hired some web designer and you're paying them by the hour, and that person is making things as complicated (and costly) as possible.

I say this because website scalability is generally a built-in feature these days. Companies aren't typically offering an entirely separate mobile site. They simply have a website design (theme) that detects the browser and delivers the content (the same content) in the best way possible.

In this regard, I would suggest a complete redesign of your site so that the content is easily viewable on any device, but just maintain a single website. This saves a lot of work.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 pm

<quote user="resourcesforlife">
"...(nightrewards. mobi)...link is pointing to this address file.../nedsco/calendar/Calendar.html"
[/quote]

Thanks for confirming the lie in the posting above, in which it is claimed, "NEDSCO is not the same company as NightRewards."

Figure10

Post by Figure10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 pm

With all the information posted I do not find your site trustworthy. Rated.

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:45 pm

<quote user="jazspeak">
Thanks for confirming the lie in the posting above, in which it is claimed, "NEDSCO is not the same company as NightRewards."
[/quote]

Their situation does seem a bit complicated...

People need to be careful when launching new sites when they rely on resources of other entities.

Something that's unclear to me is this... In the case of the calendar, how will they promote events.

It seems like the business they are proposing will only work well in local markets where you can offer people coupons to local businesses and a schedule of special events in the area.

We have several businesses in our town doing something similar to what they are offering with coupons -- but not targeted to dating.

The marketing companies in our area work the same way, however. They work with two groups: members and advertisers/businesses.

The members get coupons, discounts, and hear about special deals and sales events through SMS messaging and direct mail.

The advertisers/businesses are able to reach a target market.

One of the questions that local business owners ask me is whether or not such approaches are worth it. Usually the business pays a significant amount of money to be included in those mailings. Many local businesses already have their own mailing lists of regular clients, so they can do their own direct mail that way.

Narrowing the market to dating singles is an interesting twist. I'm not sure how well that will work.

It sounds like this new endeavor is a spin-off on some other coupon and marketing initiatives that they already have in place.

As others have observed, it may not be a good branding decision to have a business about adult dating that's in any way affiliated with K-12 education. That might send a mixed message.

A complete re-branding would be required, and especially to be avoided would be the use of any old links to previous sites (such as the NEDSCO link mentioned above).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Greg