katom.com

KaTom Admin

katom.com

Post by KaTom Admin » Fri May 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Site URL: http://katom.com
Scorecard: View scorecard

Introduction:
KaTom is a restaurant supply company that operates an e-commerce site at www.katom.com. Our site is composed entirely of foodservice product listings and information. We are concerned that we have been maliciously given negative ratings that do not reflect our actual site. Since "Trustworthiness" and "Vendor Reliability" are somewhat subjective, perhaps the clearest evidence that our ratings have been spammed is in our "Privacy" and "Child Safety" scores. We are a McAfee Secure e-commerce site, have a privacy policy linked from the front page, and have an A+ rating from the BBB. There is also no adult content on our site, nor is there anything illegal.

We would appreciate your help in correcting these erroneous ratings.

Has privacy policy?
http://www.katom.com/help/privacy-policy.html

Has a way for users to contact site owners?
http://www.katom.com/help/contact.html

Whois Information:
http://whois.domaintools.com/katom.com

Disclaimer:
This post was generated automatically. All information is as entered by the site owner.

app103

RE: katom.com

Post by app103 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Your company markets itself through the shady practice of forum spamming. I have deleted your spam, myself. I don't trust forum spammers and I don't think anyone else should either. And I certainly do not believe that anyone should reward such behavior by giving you their business. They would be better off shopping at any of your competitors who do not market themselves through spam.

I do not trust you in any way shape or form. I would not trust you with my personal information, I would not trust you to adhere to your privacy policy. I would not trust you with my credit card info. I would not trust that your products and services would be as you describe on your site. I do not trust that I would even receive anything from my order. And I certainly wouldn't trust you with my children.

On 2009-07-01 someone representing your company registered on the forum at donationcoder.com and as their very first post, made this low quality irrelevant post on our forum, to this thread:

screenshot:

And in an attempt to bypass our rules about signatures not being allowed till after a user has made a certain number of posts, inserted their "signature" right into the post itself, linking to your site with keywords. I can only guess that this was done to obtain backlinks for SEO purposes and suck away some of our PR5 link juice.

Trust is something that has to be earned and you won't do that through spamming forums. What you end up with is the complete opposite. Your bad rating wasn't the result of one single spam post made on one site. You have to have been responsible for a lot more than that for the multiple ratings that would be required to put you in the yellow caution zone.

I will not be changing my rating. I gave you the rating that you deserve.

KaTom Admin

Post by KaTom Admin » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm

We appreciate you expressing your concerns and certainly understand why this kind of post would be an annoyance. Please allow us to assure you and everyone else that we do not currently practice any such forum spamming and we apologize that it was once done in our name. Your comment was the first we knew of this activity.

Our best guess is that a third-party vendor we once contracted with decided this would be a good idea, though we would obviously disagree. We have not worked with that firm in years. We hope that clears up your concern.

While we agree with you that this type of practice is not OK, we would have to say it seems more than unfair to mark us down in each category because of these old posts. The WOT terms indicate that you should not rate a company in areas that you haven't personally experienced. Since you have apparently never ordered from us, how can you state in any trustworthy way whether we are reliable as a vendor or whether we uphold our privacy policy? Also, WOT specifically states that a site should only be dinged on child safety if there is illegal and/or adult content on it. A cursory review of our site clearly indicates that's not the case.

Again, we apologize for past activities in our name, and hope that you and others will find us a responsible and trustworthy vendor moving forward.

NewClear

Post by NewClear » Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 am

Dear site owner, I too witnessed forum spam linking directly to your website. On the 12 December, 2012 I banned a user for doing pretty much the exact same thing app103 is describing, registering a new user account and using it for no other purpose than to slip in a quick link to your website. Needless to say, spamming is disruptive and irritating to our forum and the community it serves.

Another website similar to yours complained that I had given them a bad comment because of forum spam from them, and claimed it entirely was the fault of their SEO company. I find it somewhat hard to believe that an advertiser you haven't done business with in years is only now deciding to litter the internet with random links. I have no way of knowing for sure what is going on, who is responsible for the spam or why, but your beef is with them, not us.

With all due respect, I think there is more to the story than you're telling me. I can't play the judge here; the only evidence I have to go on in your favor is you complaining your site was rated bad, and acting seemly shocked and baffled about the situation. The fact remains: someone made a spam post with the express purpose of promoting your very site. I left a comment about it. If this really was a mistake on your part and you aren't responsible, I'm sorry. Next time be very careful with advertisers or SEO companies, because they don't always just magically, harmlessly make your site rank higher on Google search results.

another.wot.user

Post by another.wot.user » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:15 pm

The above replies were in 2013. Have there been any other instances of happening SINCE? I'm curious. I almost didn't go to Katom because of the WOT rating. I went anyway after checking elsewhere and discovering they were reputable. I've been satisfied, as a customer, so far.

How does ensuring a company has a poor rating for two year old forum spam that might or might not have been under their control protect me from "scams, untrustworthy links and rogue web stores"? Yes, forum spam is bad. I've moderated enough forums to want to strangle the people doing it. However, WOT has a fair amount of power here. Opinion needs to be leavened with evidence. Were any IP traces done on that spam? Did it originate from near Katom (most such spam is by management that lives nearby, as I've discovered.). Is a company coming on here and saying "well see what can do to stop it", then apparently successfully doing so, not enough to relax older ratings?

Is it really that easy to manipulate a corporate reputation downwards? So much for claims WOT ratings can't be manipulated. Frankly, I'm very disappointed if this is really the only thing holding down Katom's reputation here. If it's NOT the only thing, perhaps someone could come back and update the above issues? Is the forum spam still happening? Has anyone actually tried to gather evidence other than "new user, posts Katom's name, Katom will get blamed"? Turns out Katom has seriously competitive prices, at least in the material I was looking for. If I was a competitor, I'd do anything I could to reduce their reach. Manipulating WOT would definitely be on my list.

For the record, I am a customer of Katom, located in Canada and have currently made one major purchase from them. I'm also a WOT user, although not much of a contributor. Yet, anyway. So far, apart from some payment snafus (due to me being in Canada, but they're hardly the only American company that doesn't recognize a world outside US borders) that have been resolved, I've been satisfied with them as a company and as a website.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:07 pm

I can't find any current evidence of website spamming or posting of back links. However there do seem to be rather a lot of disgruntled customers across various review sites. Perhaps they are competitors...

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 pm

<quote user="app103">
Your company markets itself through the shady practice of forum spamming. I have deleted your spam, myself. I don't trust forum spammers and I don't think anyone else should either. And I certainly do not believe that anyone should reward such behavior by giving you their business. They would be better off shopping at any of your competitors who do not market themselves through spam.

I do not trust you in any way shape or form. I would not trust you with my personal information, I would not trust you to adhere to your privacy policy. I would not trust you with my credit card info. I would not trust that your products and services would be as you describe on your site. I do not trust that I would even receive anything from my order. And I certainly wouldn't trust you with my children.

On 2009-07-01 someone representing your company registered on the forum at donationcoder.com and as their very first post, made this low quality irrelevant post on our forum, to this thread:

screenshot:

And in an attempt to bypass our rules about signatures not being allowed till after a user has made a certain number of posts, inserted their "signature" right into the post itself, linking to your site with keywords. I can only guess that this was done to obtain backlinks for SEO purposes and suck away some of our PR5 link juice.

Trust is something that has to be earned and you won't do that through spamming forums. What you end up with is the complete opposite. Your bad rating wasn't the result of one single spam post made on one site. You have to have been responsible for a lot more than that for the multiple ratings that would be required to put you in the yellow caution zone.

I will not be changing my rating. I gave you the rating that you deserve.
[/quote]

@app103 =
Is truly a shame that I did not see this post before
I fully agree with your statement
I don't trust forum spammers and I don't think anyone else should either. And I certainly do not believe that anyone should reward such behavior by giving you their business. They would be better off shopping at any of your competitors who do not market themselves through spam.
I fully agree and based in your report I rate this site as not trusted
Thank you !

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello,

Some examples of spam with this site:

hxxp://forums.foodservice.com/index.cfm?FSF_action=view_thread&FSF_UI_tab=forum&FSF_ID=18612

hxxp://www.getrichslowly.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117

---

Date: 2009

<quote user="milliem">
I can't find any current evidence of website spamming or posting of back links.
[/quote]
It seems this site had a spammy behavior in 2009. But no evidence since that date.