Macsweeper

Security_Wiz

Macsweeper

Post by Security_Wiz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 am

As most of you know, one of the first misleading applications for Mac came out last January. As some of you may not know, it has a newer version, a twin, called iMunizator. However, the twin is not very popular. However, it has been given the default 70/100 rating with no rating for child safety, vendor reliability, or privacy. It should be rated black (red) immediately. However, there is a real program called Mac Sweeper which actually is a program.

Happy surfing!

logicman

Re: iMunizator.

Post by logicman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:07 am

Suitable points raised and comments made. ;-)

MysteryFCM

Not resolving

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:21 am

imunizator.com was through Est Domains;

Domain Name: IMUNIZATOR.COM
Registrar: ESTDOMAINS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.estdomains.com
Referral URL: http://www. estdomains.com
Name Server: NS.IMUNIZATOR.COM
Name Server: NS1.TWISTED4LIFE.COM
Updated Date: 11-sep-2008
Creation Date: 09-mar-2008
Expiration Date: 09-mar-2009

.... and is not currently resolving;

http://hosts-file.net/?s=imunizator.com

Regards
Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Security_Wiz

iMunizator

Post by Security_Wiz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Thank you for your comment, logicman. Also, thanks for posting it on SiteAdvisor, too. I'm glad more people know about this website and know that it is dangerous. Surprisingly, I'm seeing the same people on WOT in SiteAdvsior. Even some Norton Safe Web people in SiteAdvisor.

Also, in a minute, imunizator.com will be rated red in NSW. I will put my rating in a minute, and I've already got it on the latest threats page. However, the weird thing is, Symantec says it contains a Downloader. However, this is a Mac malware website. But someone about a month ago on the Symantec forums said that NAV 11.0 had blocked a downloader on their Mac..... Maybe the Downloader is available for Mac, too?

Also, other popular Mac malware sites out there are:

mooncodec.com
qaz-codec.net
qaz-codec.com
firecodec.net

and a few others. Also, there's a new Adware for Mac called iAdware (OSX.Cosmac), however, I could not find the website it is available on. When you are infected with this adware, it will launch the Safari browser whenever you open an application and will bring it to either a real mac security website (intego.com, iantivirus.com, symantec.com) or a fake codec/rogue website.

logicman

Re: Windows v Mac downloader.

Post by logicman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:52 am

I think that this should make Mac users sit up and take notice:
http://blog.trendmicro.com/zlob-crosses-over/

Mac users need to keep their web security as up-to-date as Windows or Linux users, or any other OS variant, come to think of it.

hth :-)