PC Doc Pro

cotojo

PC Doc Pro

Post by cotojo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:00 pm

It is a rogue program whichever way you look at it. I have run it on a clean installation, checked for bugs and malware, checked the Registry etc and the machine is clean
Run PC Doc Pro and it finds files and folders that are 'contaminated' and 'high risk' threats.
Considering that I run everything within a sandbox this is hardly credible is it?
It's simple, close the sandbox and everything contained within it disappears as it only ever existed in a virtual area, so how does PC Doc Pro find so many infections on a clean machine just as variations of Antivirus 2008 etc does?
Good hype to panic users into buying something that will only add to their problems.

Colin
http://cotojo.wordpress.com - Free PC Security

logicman

Words, words, words!

Post by logicman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Democracy: a system invented by the ancient Greeks wherein citizens of Athens had all the rights, and everybody else in the then-known world had none.

Freedom of speech:
1 ... The duty to speak out against those who wish to cause harm to ourselves and others.
2 ... The duty to speak out against those who wish to put obstacles in the way of our exercise of our duty to speak.

(Waves at Sami) I have to go now, there's someone at the door with a gagging order from PC Pr
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Protect and Surf.

Geeezzz . . . all this

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:44 pm

Geeezzz . . . all this philosophical and political BS aside (yes, I'm speaking to you, Mr. Perfect), the fact remains, as Sami and other posters have said, that this PCDoc Pro stuff IS a scam. Scaring novices with false positives IS a scam. Plain and simple English . . . no philosophical or political (or poetic) red herrings to cloud the issue.

And as far as quotes go, to make a ridiculous argument one can always find a quote to support it, That doesn't prove a thing except that the perpetrator is using a logical falacy (red herring is one of them) to "support" the argument.

Esa S.

Further test results and Microsoft's response

Post by Esa S. » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:58 am

We ran a new test on Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 from MSDN Disc 4455.01 with the latest updates applied.

PC Doc Pro found 483 problems, out of which 11 were on severity level "Severe", 13 "High" and the rest "Elevated". We reported these problems, or registry errors as PC Doc Pro also calls them, to Microsoft. According to Microsoft, the findings of PC Doc Pro are not problems, and when explicitly asked if they recommend removing these registry keys from the registry their answer was "no".

This confirms the conclusions of our earlier tests.

My concern is that when a PC user with some performance issues runs this diagnosis by PC Doc Pro, the scan report may lead him or her to think that the performance issue gets fixed by removing these "problems" while that doesn't really have anything to do with the real problem. Furthermore, an unaware user certainly gets scared when told about "11 severe problems" on his/her PC. In our test case removing these registry keys didn't have any effect on the performance or the stability of our test PC.

My compliments to your

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 am

My compliments to your diligence, Esa S.

That would seem to prove the point that PC Doc Pro IS scamming at least novices, and anyone foolish enough to delete a registry key without knowing what it means, and just relying on scam software to say that it is "Severe".

phantazm

Now I wonder...

Post by phantazm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:55 am

First of all, thanks to Esa S for the final post. Solid proof ought to end the discussion...

Then, I wonder about the agenda of a certain reviewer. Who? Mr Perfect with the annoying signature and secret background. But I guess he/she wont be back;
there's no longer a grayzone of doubt to exploit...

Finally, I wonder why Siteadvisor still rates this site green?
Unbelieveable...
:-(

lordpake

Could it be their forums are

Post by lordpake » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Could it be their forums are bogus too?

It's full of answers from post 1/2 users, all answers are "Powered by Yahoo! Answers" and I don't seem to be able to spot any big-time posters there. Not a single one! No stickies etc. which usually indicate a vibrant community ...

Not to mention it seems all subforums are quite evenly filled with similar amounts of threads/posts. Quite uncanny imho :)

Are they in fact getting their so-called content from Yahoo Answers?

Usually activities in forums concentrate on certain primary areas, and others don't get quite that much attention.

"Men make good pets."

logicman

The scam just got worse!

Post by logicman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:55 pm

PcDocPro.com is using a very devious scheme to promote their website.

The whole of "their" forum is lifted straight out of Yahoo Answers, via a feed.

Some of the people who answer questions are widely known in the web antimalware community.

Because it is not clear to the average web user that the "forum" is a mirror of Yahoo answers, it may appear to some users that widely-respected web security experts are actually endorsing this bogus website by contributing to its "forum".

Compare these two web pages:
http://www.pcdocpro.com/forum/index.php?topic=8824.0
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080910045321AAbVjT6

Note that Susan S is using pinurl - a clickbank affiliate!
http://pinurl.com/tools.html
{quote}
Finally, Real AntiVirus On ClickBank!
Google, Yahoo, & MSN Conversion Tracking
Join Our Affiliate Program And Earn 75% Profit!
{endquote}

Is Yahoo an innocent party to all of this webspam and scamming?
You can answer that question for yourself: try to report this abuse of Yahoo's T&Cs to Yahoo. I wish you luck - you'll need it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Protect and Surf.

MysteryFCM

Just a note folks .........

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:27 am

Just a note folks ......... after further testing, whilst I do consider this program highly undesirable (mainly due to it's price and the length the licence is for), I no longer consider this program rogue, and thus, have delisted it from hpHosts.

Regards
Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

phantazm

Just a question...

Post by phantazm » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 am

An overpriced product, false positives and a fake forum!
How can this not be a rogue...?