PC Doc Pro

Hey logicman, Now that I'm

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Hey logicman,

Now that I'm using Sandboxie, I went to those red donut sites you linked to.

Something else I noticed on that fake forum. All the posters are reflected as "Newbies".

So, in addition to being a mirror of the Yahoo answers forum, someone must have doctored (hence the name "PC Doc"?) all those posts to show "Newbie".

I don't know if a novice would notice it, but every single poster being a "Newbie" is pretty suspicious itself. If I went to a forum where all the posters were marked that way, I'D BE SUSPICIOUS.

And if a novice user were astute enough to figure out that the forum was new, then I would also think that they'd be suspicious of that anyway.

Bottom line, yes, I did see the corresponding Yahoo answers forum.

BTW, cotojo, either someone is using the same screen name on Yahoo answers, or your post there got "hijacked". If that's you, then you would definitely have a case to claim abuse at Yahoo.

And I certainly agree with phantazm . . . Geeezzz, MysteryFCM, what would it take for you to declare a site rogue?

cotojo

@ BobJam

Post by cotojo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Someone has indeed hijacked the answers from Yahoo Q&A, along with others that I am in touch with so I will be contacting them too and together we will file a complaint to Y!Q&A.
There is NO WAY I would submit anything to PCDocPro, I've run it myself within a sandbox, never mind the claim to scan in 5-10 minutes I waited 3 hours and had previously cleaned my registry yet this rogue software still found over 500 entries which did NOT exist.
I shall be making a video to post and back it up, it is definitely fake software and they claims made are ridiculous.
All they are doing is ripping off the innocent.

Colin
http://cotojo.wordpress.com - Free PC Security

Well . . . I think we beat

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Well . . . I think we beat this one to death (clearly this is a scam), but I'd still be interested to see how cotojo fares with his Yahoo complaint, and also MysteryFCM's response to this rogue issue. Is it a definition thing or what?? (Though I think common sense should prevail over any strict definition, if that's the explanation).

cotojo

Complaint filed

Post by cotojo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Complaint filed to Yahoo, now I sit and wait lol,
Will post response from them as and when I receive it, but don't hold your breath!
Colin

logicman

Well done cotojo!

Post by logicman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Well done cotojo - and no, I am not holding my breath.

Meanwhile, why not post a Q&A session on Y!Q&A, with help from your friends:

Q: Is PC Doc Pro a scam?
A1 - yes, just go to the forum and see all the Yahoo answers posted there to make it look good. What a scam!

A2 - Hey! They've even copied this very topic: (URL here)

A3 - Wow! What a scam! Pc Doc Pro is using my web reputation to boost theirs. I'm off to see my attorney.

A4 - I'm a systems administrator with a major publishing corporation. I used PcDocPro on all of our systems. Hey! It relly works. All of our computors are running twice as fast now! Please ignore all of these bogus answers given by jealous competitiors.

Spot the bogus answerer. :-)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Protect and Surf.

MysteryFCM

To answer ...

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:10 pm

... the questions;

1. The price and forums do not make it rogue (stupidly expensive and undesirable, yes, but not rogue)

2. I tested PCDocPro on a clean XP SP2 installation a couple times, and it did not produce any F/P's

I most certainly don't agree with PCDocPro's pricing model, and would certainly never recommend it, but in this case, it did not fit the criteria for receipt of the FSA classification.

Regards
Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

This is from the hpHosts

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm

This is from the hpHosts page: "hpHosts is a community managed and maintained hosts file that allows an additional layer of protection against access to ad, tracking and malicious websites."

I think the consensus of the users here, EVEN IF hpHosts DOES NOT CONSIDER A SCAM AS "MALICIOUS" (and I'm not talking about adware or tracking cookies, but rather the third element, "malicious", of the hpHosts community statement above), is that this PCDocPro IS malicious.

And as far as false positives go, you might say that if it detected anything amiss whatsoever that actually existed, no matter how trivial it might be, then that was not a false positive. Though I saw in your discussion that in one test early on you could not find any evidence of registry entries that PCDocPro detected as being faulty . . . and that's a false positive if ever there was one. So what convinced you that there were no false positives . . . the second test??

Whether or not it is "rogue" by FSA standards is something that you can speak on more knowledgeably than most of us, and since you're the administrator of this thing, it's your call and not ours. So in that regard, I can't really argue with you there.

Nevertheless, the site is considered "malicious" (especially considering that you yourself even got spammed by their email affiliate, who along with the rest of the sites affiliates are "running wild") by the overwhelming majority of raters here.

I'm not a "last word" freak, so feel free to respond.

cotojo

Hey logicman

Post by cotojo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Posted it as a question on Y!Q&A, now wait for responses :)
I also complained to 2 different depts on Yahoo and guess what?
The Forum has GONE...it redirects to blog now!
Think someone got a little upset? hahaha
Colin

cotojo

Re: PC Doc Pro forum

Post by cotojo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:33 pm

It would appear that someone has done something as the forum has disappeared and link is now forwarded to their blog instead.
Not heard from yahoo as of yet, so don't know if they took steps in removing this or not.
Colin

phantazm

Sweet irony...

Post by phantazm » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:12 pm

logicman: "Meanwhile, why not post a Q&A session on Y!Q&A,
with help from your friends."

Hah! Sometimes I just looove irony; why not do it..?
(And let us know how it went...)

PS: Mysteryman, could you explain what "FSA classification" means?
(It seems to be a cardinal point somehow...)