Why does WOT say a website is trustworthy, when it has a lot of negative replies and ratings?

chmod755

Why does WOT say a website is trustworthy, when it has a lot of negative replies and ratings?

Post by chmod755 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Example: paypal.com - most comments are negative, VeriSign/W3C membership/TRUSTe Seal makes them reliable when there's a real lot of negative customer experience/ethical issues and stuff?

I know that WOT uses PayPal for Business features, but a lot of people seem to be unsatisfied with it. It's just an example and I guess there are a lot of websites, which are "trustworthy", but there are more negative ratings. PayPal is not going to change anything for the average person, if they can just pay WOT to tell everyone that they are reliable....

RE: Why does WOT say a website is trustworthy, when it has a lot

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Hello
I think you are confusing ratings with comments

chmod755

Post by chmod755 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
Hello
I think you are confusing ratings with comments
[/quote]

Most comments are negative and I think the ratings are pretty much the same - at least I doubt it deserves "Excellent"…
Good site

Useful, informative

Good customer experience

Spam

Bad customer experience

Phishing or other scams

Hateful or questionable content

Ethical issues

Other

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Ratings are cast by secret ballot thus you can not "see" who rated or how.

Comments require forum registration, an account to associate a user name to the comment made
Approximately 1% of WOT users are registered

comments are not ratings - they have no affect with reputation
PayPal is not going to change anything for the average person, if they can just pay WOT to tell everyone that they are reliable....
The only thing WOT sells are Trust Seals / Reputation badges
Neither affect the site's reputation
Reputations are made by site visitors and in some cases trusted sources will have an effect.

Viewing the scorecard: http://www.mywot.com/scorecard/paypal.com
you can see that PayPal has not purchased a WOT Trust Seal

chmod755

Post by chmod755 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm

<quote user="g7w">
Comments require forum registration, an account to associate a user name to the comment made
Approximately 1% of WOT users are registered
[/quote]

Ahhh. So this makes sense to me^^

Seemed suspicious to me. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 pm

<quote user="georgstmk">
Ahhh. So this makes sense to me^^

Seemed suspicious to me. Thanks.
[/quote]

If you consider that there is a lot of naive members who use the WOT toolbar and rate sites according to how they see and use them, yet are oblivious to various issues we would deem questionable, then perhaps this does not appear that suspicious afterall.

Sami

Post by Sami » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 pm

<quote user="issviews">
If you consider that there is a lot of naive members who use the WOT toolbar and rate sites according to how they see and use them, yet are oblivious to various issues we would deem questionable, then perhaps this does not appear that suspicious afterall.
[/quote]

The simple fact is that the vast majority of people have never had any bad experiences with PayPal and consider the site perfectly trustworthy. If this weren't the case, PayPal wouldn't have 100+M active accounts. Yes, some people clearly have bad experiences too, but they appear to be in the vocal minority.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 pm

<quote user="sami">
The simple fact is that the vast majority of people have never had any bad experiences with PayPal and consider the site perfectly trustworthy. If this weren't the case, PayPal wouldn't have 100+M active accounts. Yes, some people clearly have bad experiences too, but they appear to be in the vocal minority.
[/quote]
I wasn't referring to paypal, I was making a general comment. I should have been clearer. I have had a Paypal account for years and still use them. Good service IMO.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 am

People are more likely to leave a comment when it offers an alternative view from the majority. "Me too" replies from people who share the majority opinion are tedious and unhelpful; a post that disagrees and gives evidence allows me to make my own judgment.