Spammers are hammering a legitimate site's rating!

GURBL

RE: Spammers are hammering a legitimate site's rating!

Сообщение GURBL » Пн сен 09, 2013 10:40 am

just for the record.: www.rpgcrossing.com is on 198.143.133.202. However, a flock of south african insurance spammers, sendsrv.com / mailblaze.com have infested this /24, snowshoeing across at *least* 198.143.137[.130-158].

The /19 was listed as HIJACKED back in September 2009, and blocked extensively. Yes, we are aware it is hosted on singlehop.com.

I will remove the rpgcrossing.com listing, but really? having your little minions come call me a bot? That's pretty cool. Calling *me* a spammer is delusional.

Spatulaodoom

Сообщение Spatulaodoom » Пн сен 09, 2013 11:20 am

<quote user="gurbl">
just for the record.: www.rpgcrossing.com is on 198.143.133.202. However, a flock of south african insurance spammers, sendsrv.com / mailblaze.com have infested this /24, snowshoeing across at *least* 198.143.137[.130-158].

The /19 was listed as HIJACKED back in September 2009, and blocked extensively. Yes, we are aware it is hosted on singlehop.com.

I will remove the rpgcrossing.com listing, but really? having your little minions come call me a bot? That's pretty cool. Calling *me* a spammer is delusional.
[/quote]

GURBL
Thank you for altering your rating.
I'm sorry that some people became snarky. Many of the community obviously feel offended that "their" website was hit with a blanket rating based on activity that did not happen on the site. If you pause a moment to think about it you may find that perfectly understandable given your apparent activity level, which is probably both due to frequent use of mass rating tool and also the reasons for accusations of your spamming.
The question I need to ask is if WOT is meant for rating of IP addresses or websites?

Either way, thank you for taking the time to address the situation.

EDIT: For the record, I am neither the site owner or part of the staff.
I'd also like to mention that nobody was sent to harass you, the only thing mentioned was that the site rating had tanked and that if people wanted to help they should go post their own ratings. There are no minions, little or otherwise.

c۞g

Сообщение c۞g » Пн сен 09, 2013 12:32 pm

<quote user="spatulaodoom">The question I need to ask is if WOT is meant for rating of IP addresses or websites?[/quote]
WOT records reputation for domains (IP's and Hostname's) not websites (URL's).
A domain name or hostname resolves to a numerical address, aka: IP

ref: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System t=_self]Domain Name System[/url]
ref: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname t=_self]Hostname[/url]
ref: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Website t=_self]Website[/url]

jcamacho

Сообщение jcamacho » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:01 pm

<quote user="gurbl">

[/quote]

What i'd like to know is...how in the world is it possible that rpgcrossing.com is still in the yellow after all those votes? Theres no way GURBL's rating is that powerful....least i hope not...i mean seriously thats a lot of ratings coming in.

Also...gurbl thats not really an explanation as to how you came to downvote rpgcrossing.com surely you did not do something as crazy as pulling all websites on an IP address and downvoting all of them right?

NotBuyingIt

Сообщение NotBuyingIt » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:17 pm

<quote user="gurbl">

[/quote]

@[url=http://www.mywot.com/user/1863955 t=_self]GURBL[/url],
See what can happen when you step away from your computer from a few hours on a Sunday?

The sing-song comment that you used for your rating reminded be of the title of a book that I didn't read. The book title was a "teaser"; your comment teased and confused the subscribers of rpgcrossing.com. The book title was not confusing because there was a book behind it. So would it kill you to include a link in your comments to a simple explanation for your ratings?

I think that your response to the minions subscribers is prompt and somewhat helpful. That's pretty cool. Other people gave the impression of yanking out their hair because you were unresponsive yesterday.

That motley drama—oh, be sure. It shall not be forgot! "

<quote user="jcamacho">
Also...gurbl ... surely you did not do something as crazy as pulling all websites on an IP address and downvoting all of them right?
[/quote]

Now that's an interesting question that's on my mind, too.

RPGX

Сообщение RPGX » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:19 pm

<quote user="gurbl">

[/quote]

As has been stated in a previous post, site members were asked to come and leave a rating. They were encouraged to be positive and not go after anyone here. It is difficult for some of us to portray 100% positive demeanours when our home on the internet is being slighted in a way that we feel is unfounded. I certainly found (find) it challenging, and apologise if I've given insult to anyone here in how I have handled the situation.

I'm trying to understand your reasoning for labelling our site.

Our "/24" comprises the 256 addresses starting 198.143.133. You found spam in the "/19" (in a different 256 address grouping) with IP addresses starting 198.143.137. It was a range of 29 addresses.

A "/19" would be a 8192 address block. Is it typically justified to label 8192 addresses as spam based on the behaviour of 29 of them, when IP addresses are sold individually to legitimate sites? The answer to this might be yes -- I have no idea what size blocks of IP addresses are bought by spammers. Presumably hackers tend to be a bit more random with where they infect things though, and do not work in blocks of address space.

I recognise that you are trying to help the web, here, but please forgive us our reaction when we found a short blanket statement on our ratings that clearly carries a lot of weight, applied by a 'mass' tool, and which didn't seem to describe our site in any way that made sense with our experience of it. When posts like that appear on our site, we eliminate them within minutes (assuming our spam filters don't catch them first). Indiscriminate mass notification on the internet is pretty much the definition of spam, and that's exactly what the comment felt like.

I'm aware now that we focused on your (GURBL's) comment (it was what we could see) and that we have no idea what's actually gone on with the ratings in the meantime (I see no way on WOT to see anything other than an aggregate rating). You may have born the brunt of the ire of our members just because you were the only visible target.

our host:

As far as I can tell, Singlehop is an above board host, and respected in the community at large. They have seemed honourable and respectable in my interactions with them. If there are individual IP addresses where there is evidence of problems, I believe they would follow up and deal with it.

th3br41n

Сообщение th3br41n » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:32 pm

<quote user="jcamacho">
What i'd like to know is...how in the world is it possible that rpgcrossing.com is still in the yellow after all those votes? Theres no way GURBL's rating is that powerful
[/quote]

What votes are you talking about? You cannot see ratings, you can see only comments...
Each user has her/his own RR: http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Rating_reliability

jcamacho

Сообщение jcamacho » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:47 pm

<quote user="th3br41n">
What votes are you talking about? You cannot see ratings, you can see only comments...
Each user has her/his own RR: http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Rating_reliability
[/quote]

what i meant to say was down rated, what i was getting as it surely other people down rated them for them to still be yellow (guessing after site evaluation was put up)

c۞g

Сообщение c۞g » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:55 pm

<quote user="jcamacho">
what i meant to say was down rated, what i was getting as it surely other people down rated them for them to still be yellow (guessing after site evaluation was put up)
[/quote]
[url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_vs._comments t=_self]Comments are not ratings[/url] - they do NOT affect reputation which is why comments are optional.
Voting up/down existing comments has no affect with reputation.
WOT is not a democracy it is a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy t=_self]Meritocracy.[/url]
New users have no rating 'weight' their ratings have no affect until WOT learns to trust their rating behavior; see the link posted about rating reliability

NotBuyingIt

Сообщение NotBuyingIt » Пн сен 09, 2013 1:57 pm

<quote user="rpgx">
our host:

As far as I can tell, Singlehop is an above board host, and respected in the community at large. They have seemed honourable and respectable in my interactions with them. If there are individual IP addresses where there is evidence of problems, I believe they would follow up and deal with it.
[/quote]

About reputation:

I would attribute to GURBL some of same favorable characteristics which RPGX attributes to Singlehop.

My impression is that an unusually large number of domains hosted by Singlehop have been unusually easy for hackers to abuse over the past few years and I wonder if some of the mischief was due to lax security on the servers and not within the site owners' control. Network security is not my specialty and I don't want to make any snap judgments here. Community members with more knowledge and experience than I have may wish to contribute to this thread.

Ответить