Spammers are hammering a legitimate site's rating!

jcamacho

RE: Spammers are hammering a legitimate site's rating!

Post by jcamacho » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
[url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_vs._comments t=_self]Comments are not ratings[/url] - they do NOT affect reputation which is why comments are optional.
Voting up/down existing comments has no affect with reputation.
WOT is not a democracy it is a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy t=_self]Meritocracy.[/url]
New users have no rating 'weight' their ratings have no affect until WOT learns to trust their rating behavior; see the link posted about rating reliability
[/quote]

didnt say they did.

I know comments have nothing to do with ratings. when i say down rated i mean rating red etc.

I know several people RATED (edit: sorry i keep saying voted) them GREEN that wherent new users.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:30 pm

<quote user="jcamacho">
I know several people RATED (edit: sorry i keep saying voted) them up that wherent new users.
[/quote]

A site's rating does not change immediately when a new rating is submitted and an older rating is changed or withdrawn. People have speculated that some of the delay may be the WOT system's attempt to prevent reverse engineering of its reputation algorithms and to resist "manipulation." I am uncomfortable to speculate because my guesses would more likely confuse than help. There has been a great amount of confusion caused by hasty and inaccurate conclusions posted in the forums.

jcamacho

Post by jcamacho » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
A site's rating does not change immediately when a new rating is submitted and an older rating is changed or withdrawn. People have speculated that some of the delay may be the WOT system's attempt to prevent reverse engineering of its reputation algorithms and to resist "manipulation." I am uncomfortable to speculate because my guesses would more likely confuse than help. There has been a great amount of confusion caused by hasty and inaccurate conclusions posted in the forums.
[/quote]

So sometimes it can be over a day? so far based on what ive seen it looks like its done in a batch process.

RPGX

Post by RPGX » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:34 am

<quote user="jcamacho">
So sometimes it can be over a day? so far based on what ive seen it looks like its done in a batch process.
[/quote]

Our aggregate rating seems to be changing gradually. It could be a 24 hour time lag for each rating. Or possibly others are rating the site. Or both those things are happening. Or it could be something else. It's hard to know with the level of opaqueness in the rating system. GURBL said he'd unmark the site as spam, and I'm holding out hope that his rating will disappear sometime tomorrow, which would suggest a day of lag time between action and effect, assuming he went through with it. I guess we'll see.

EDIT: GURBL's rating did disappear the next day, and our aggregate rating continued to slowly improve. It does seem that his one rating with the MRT carried a *lot* of weight.

Ken.Tonks

Post by Ken.Tonks » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:04 am

I'm new to WOT. I found out about it when my site was given one very negative review as "spammer", "spamming", etc. It's not true and was done by this guy GURBL who now has almost 5 million review in 4 years. That comes out to some crazy number like 20,000 per week. Seriously? I've never sent a single e-mail from my site. I checked with my web host just to be sure nothing was wrong. All looked good. It's rated safe by google, yandes, and every other tool I could find.

Now this is probably not in my best interest but let me float a theory. Why did I join WOT?....to try and recover my site's reputation that was ruined by the one and only rating on it. The only way I was told to rid myself of this horrible lie was to sign up, and post my site in the forum. Which I did. It's been up there for 10 hours with no new reviews. Does it make sense that a fair minded, legit outfit would let ONE member rate 5,000,000 sites in 4 years. Search the web, their a plenty of website owners lamenting how they were unfairly rated by GURBL. Is it possible that GURBL isn't an independent but rather an insider? Could they be rating 1000's and 1000's of sites as malicious or spammy just to get the site owners to sign up? I don't know. But I know one thing, you can't have a legit website rating tool when the main contributor doesn't even visit the websites he's rating.

@ Ken.Tonks

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:27 am

<quote user="ken.tonks">
I'm new to WOT. I found out about it when my site was given one very negative review as "spammer", "spamming",
[/quote]

Welcome
You already started a request,
please continue here
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/50628-saveongolf-net

Thank you