Site rating Confusion

OldNick

Site rating Confusion

Post by OldNick » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:05 am

I was checking out nicabate.

I DAGS nicabate site:.com.au, and the first result is a sponsored site www.nicabate.com.au, which shows red in all fields.

So I entered "nicabate.com.au" and the same sponsored site came up all red. But the very next site is nicabate.com.au, not sponsored, and it's green in all departments.

These are the same site, just that one is nicabate's sponsored site. Why the different (opposite!) ratings?

Any help appreciated.

Nick

OldNick

..........or not.............

Post by OldNick » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 pm

..........or not.............

Sami

Re: Site rating Confusion

Post by Sami » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 pm

It's because the sponsored link points to some other server. Click the rating symbol to see which one.

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:01 am

thanks for the reply. I came back on the off chance, so sorry for the delay.

AFAICS it just goes to nicabate.com.au, the same as the non-sponsored one. I clicked the red circle and WOT complaints were about annoyances and popups, and "scaring you into buying a virus checker" I saw none of this on either site

Nick

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:08 am

Still MORE confused. Although the www.nicabate.com.au site has 4 red circles, no warning popup appears when you open the site.

Nick

More confusion

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 am

Now you've got me confused. The nicabate scorecard (and the link in your post, BTW) shows that the site is all green.

Warxas

Oldnick,

Post by Warxas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:15 am

Sami explained your question above.

For example, say I searched for Mywot in Google. The first sponsored result may say it's Mywot.
In reality, it is really iamaverybadsite.com. (note iamaverybadsite.com is just an example.)

Hope that helped!

Anonymized

How to get a red

Post by Anonymized » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:29 am

Doing the search on google.com.au you can get sponsored links that have the following scorecards: http://www.mywot.com/scorecard/au.link.decideinteractive.com and http://www.mywot.com/scorecard/pixel1971.everesttech.net

Doing the searches on google.com or google.co.uk does not result in the sponsored links with red ratings.

@OldNick
The confusion is probably that Google lists the sponsored link final target site (such as www.nicabate.com.au) below the link, but does not show the actual link itself (which routes through a site such as au.link.decideinteractive.com which is the recipient of the red rating)

If you click on the scorecard thumbnail after you hover over the link, the scorecard will open which shows you the identity and rating of the actual link destination

OldNick

AHAH! now I understand.

Post by OldNick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 pm

AHAH! now I understand. Thanks

Sami, I misunderstood your input. I did not realise that you meant it went via another link.

This is what I now see and understand.
"This subdomain inherits the reputation of link.decideinteractive.com"

I assume the sponsored link goes through some tracking site etc.

Great guys. Thanks and sorry for needing more explanation.

Nick