GURBL should be banned!

Dutch Mountain

RE: GURBL should be banned!

Post by Dutch Mountain » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:20 am

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
Just to be clear, and I know this is not going to be popular - whilst it's entirely plausible he's made mistakes (we all do), not all of his ratings are in error.

Indeed, and without manually digging into each and every one (really, who has the time? I've got a full time job as it is), I'd speculate that the majority were accurate *at the time he rated them*. The error being made here, is the fact they're not being re-visited to see whether such is still accurate.

Please don't misconstrue. I'm defending no-one, but it must be made clear, just because something is not accurate now, does not mean it wasn't at the time.
[/quote]
With all respect Steven, but you're passing by with 7 mile boots over the fact that he uses the MRT in a way which isn't meant to be such.
Just a remark, no more.......

NotBuyingIt

Re: GURBL

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 am

<quote user="dutch mountain">
[GURBL] uses the MRT in a way which isn't meant to be such.
[/quote] As far as I can tell, his last use of the MRT was 27 February 2015.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:49 am

GURBL isn't the only one using other people's lists to rate via the MRT. This isn't just about that user.

You can't just copy paste a list without knowing how it was assembled. And even in cases where there is strong evidence that all the domains on a list are under the control of the same scammers, you have to read through for sites that don't fit that pattern -- it's common for a thousand bad domains to be on the same IP as one good domain on a hacked server, for instance. Frankly, there are very few people here who have the skills to assemble their own lists of domains, and there's little correlation between those skills and whether those members have attained "platinum" status and access to the MRT. (MysteryFCM is the best example here: His skills dwarf most of ours, yet he has rated only a little over 100 sites himself and is currently at "gold" status..)

tl;dr: I think directing ire at GURBL is missing the point. We need solutions that address the underlying problems:
- The MRT should not be automatic with Platinum, or even tied to it at all. It should be given on a case-by-case basis, because that's how infrequently it should be done.
- WOT needs to have better systems for following up ratings/comments which are incorrect or outdated. I don't log in here every day, and many people visit far less frequently than I do. Every day is critical for a business owner who has purchased a domain burdened with outdated comments and ratings. We need email alerts that we have messages. We need ratings and comments to be erased when a site not only has changed hands but when it has actually expired, passed its redemption period, and been returned to the registry., so that there is then no issue that the same miscreant is still controlling the domain name.
- If someone who has posted is no longer is visiting the forum and isn't responding to requests to revise ratings, mods need the option of removing ratings/comments that are clearly inaccurate. The reputation of the entire community depends on the accuracy of individuals. There is always a balance between allowing all members to have the ability to contribute and preventing the system from being abused. It's easy to ban spammers, but in the case of someone like GURBL who was careless but not intentionally so, there ought to be some response short of a complete ban.

nova7

Post by nova7 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:43 am

Alphacentauri,

Fifth from last comment:

<quote user="alphacentauri">
...We need ratings and comments to be erased when a site not only has changed hands but when it has actually expired, passed its redemption period, and been returned to the registry., so that there is then no issue that the same miscreant is still controlling the domain name..
[/quote]

I suspect that may be misguided and overly-simplified in the instances of persistant threats emanating from multiple subdomains (subdomains of second level domains).
Example abusive actor in control of domain, "Lets cleanup our WOT record by no longer registering the second-level domain".
Abusive actor, "The redemption period expired (under a alphacentauri plan) . Hey, the domain is still available for registration" Registers the same domain after the redemption period.
Abusive actor, "Back to normal abusive actions with the exact same domain with a clean WOT-rating", and, abusive actions on sub-domains.

Second paragraph:
<quote user="alphacentauri">
Frankly, there are very few people here who have the skills to assemble their own lists of domains, and there's little correlation between those skills and whether those members have attained "platinum" status[/quote]

In a related matter, there are few people that understand the networked-abuse beyond singular domain names, singular IPs, etc. If WOT domain histories were superficially wiped upon a redemption period and still accurate, long-researched WOT comment histories were wiped at that time--and if the same malicious actor regained the same domain for malciousness-- I wouldn't expect there to be a new very well-researched and well-stated new comment re-explaining the pieced together, networked-abuse for perhaps years later, if ever.

I like your last solution / last paragraph for such instances.

The Real Ones

Post by The Real Ones » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Reviving forum topic I see...

I do not like GURBL at all.
I am happy to see that someone has actually brought up this issue. I have proof that a lot of his ratings are not reliable.
There was a website that is rated yellow and the only comment (Since the last time I checked, anyways...) on the scorecard is by GURBL. The website he rated bad was a website for a radio station, which has since changed domains. Thank for that.

You get the issue here?

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:04 am

GURBL's probably not contributing that much to the yellow rating -- Ratings decay in weight over time. There are many ratings from people who haven't left comments.

But I'm afraid a lot of junior users choose to copy from the profiles of the more prolific users and rate all the sites where they have left comments. Some just want to amplify the effect of ratings from people they feel are reliable WOT contributors, and too many people mistake the number of ratings for the value of those ratings.

Unfortunately, some want to boost their own weight to manipulate ratings of otherwise-unrated sites. In the process, they end up propping up stale ratings that needed to die.

williKi

Post by williKi » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 pm

<quote user="the real ones">
Reviving forum topic I see...

I do not like GURBL at all.
I am happy to see that someone has actually brought up this issue. I have proof that a lot of his ratings are not reliable.
There was a website that is rated yellow and the only comment (Since the last time I checked, anyways...) on the scorecard is by GURBL. The website he rated bad was a website for a radio station, which has since changed domains. Thank for that.

You get the issue here?
[/quote]

Folks, that member has not performed a scorecard rating since April of last year:

hxxps://www.mywot.com/en/user/1863955/comments

Me and another member had a conversation awhile back. IMHO, he has moved on.