Bad design- but not worth the poor ratings

Apollo702

Bad design- but not worth the poor ratings

Post by Apollo702 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 am

[green] I am going to start with one site- and probably soon add more.

The issue here is many sites have terrible design- but nothing worth some of the [/green][yellow]yellow [/yellow][green]and [/green][red]red[/red][green] ratings. For the sites in this category the sites appear to have been excessively downgraded only for design.

I am disclosing that I often times am looking for such sites to add to my Hall Of Shame. Many of these sites probably deliberately created these designs as an attention grabber. Still, in almost all cases besides that the downgrades aren't warranted. [/green]

arngren.net

RE: Bad design- but not worth the poor ratings

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:25 pm

I remember this site as an example of what developers should not do on the web :)
But if people have assessed it with a poor customer experience, this is their choice. Also I agree with not safe for children. Example: http://www.arngren.net/piker.html

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:30 pm

@Apollo702, Disable the live link in your original post: Remove the leading "www" and any "http" protocol.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:42 pm

[green]The live link has been edited. However, what I don't understand is when the sites aren't dangerous. I understand protecting users from dangerous links. The point of this thread is correcting some very wrong ratings. [/green]

EDIT: [green] I just saw the piker section. I am going to adjust the child rating for this one. Still, there are many sites to add to this list that are marked down excessively. Stay tuned! [/green]

Simoncaneplz

Post by Simoncaneplz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:59 pm

I like the design actually, im pretty sure this site is from the 90s or early 2000s.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:33 am

<quote user="simoncaneplz">
I like the design actually, im pretty sure this site is from the 90s or early 2000s.
[/quote]

[green]I have entire folders of sites like this- many made my Hall Of Shame. Many were created when outrageous was normal in years like those and many were a deliberate attempt at being silly- so sites could end up in there for a whole host of reasons.

What prompted me to create this thread is when revisiting some of them or discovering new sites is that some sites have poor ratings for the wrong reasons. Perhaps the site visually is outlandish- but then some people would mark it down for non-existent [/green][red]malware[/red][green] or some other wrong reason. That is where I am driving with this.[/green]

williKi

Post by williKi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Maybe it would have been better to post it at this site:

hxxp://webpagesthatsuck.com/

I added the Website for my towns General Store there several years back. It looked like it was designed by someone's 5 grade class.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm

<quote user="williamkinchen">
Maybe it would have been better to post it at this site:

hxxp://webpagesthatsuck.com/

I added the Website for my towns General Store there several years back. It looked like it was designed by someone's 5 grade class.
[/quote]

[green] That is actually one of the sites where I found many entries into my Hall Of Shame. There are some similar sites out there and an absolute wealth of bad sites to draw from and learn what not to do.[/green]