Fake Blue Screen Sites

williKi

Fake Blue Screen Sites

Post by williKi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 pm

I was reading a Malwarebytes unpacked article about Google AdWords and people being sent to fake blue screen sites, most cases with malware.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-sca ... fake-bsod/

(Check the list in the article). I wondered if WOT users knew about this. Checking, nope. I went ahead and put appropriate ratings on every site that was still up. Folks get in trouble by calling the phony tech support number on the blue screen page, as well as the hard to get rid of blue screen, in most cases. Be aware.

Site-rater

RE: Fake Blue Screen Sites

Post by Site-rater » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:01 pm

So these scams are getting put up on Google advertising? They really need to do a better job of reviewing submissions and if it is an obvious scam like this, contacting the necessary authorities, hosting providers, and/or affected trademark owners to get these scams shut down.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:17 am

[green] You do realize that if you run NoScript you could go to any site in the world and they can't touch you? Plus without allowing the script the fake blue screen probably wouldn't even appear at all.

Don't get me wrong. It is good that you are posting such things. It also should be pointed out that these things are amazingly easy to defeat.[/green]

FlorentiaKnight

Post by FlorentiaKnight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 am

I may be wrong, but such fake ads have no https:// ... so www.youtube.com instead of https://www.youtube.com ...easy to spot.
I suppose that's why BFeely talks about obvious scams.

WOTRocks223

Post by WOTRocks223 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:34 am

<quote user="apollo702">
[green] You do realize that if you run NoScript you could go to any site in the world and they can't touch you? Plus without allowing the script the fake blue screen probably wouldn't even appear at all.

Don't get me wrong. It is good that you are posting such things. It also should be pointed out that these things are amazingly easy to defeat.[/green]
[/quote]

Is NoScript THAT good? O_O

WOTRocks223

Post by WOTRocks223 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:38 am

@williamkinchen What is/are the site(s) that is/are showing the scam ads? If there are any I will rate them down as [red] red.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 am

<quote user="florentiaknight">
I may be wrong, but such fake ads have no https:// ... so www.youtube.com instead of https://www.youtube.com ...easy to spot.
I suppose that's why BFeely talks about obvious scams.
[/quote]

I talk about obvious scams because Google should not be allowing ads that lead to things like fake blue screens or malicious downloads.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:05 pm

[cite]I talk about obvious scams because Google should not be allowing ads that lead to things like fake blue screens or malicious downloads[/cite]

I fully agree with it =

Words of wisdom, its time for Google do something about it and they can :/

Does anyone remember the days, in which a pic or even a site that was not trusted, you could report it!

They had the buttons to flag and report the picture or even the content of a site

Maybe is time to go back to that format, maybe Google knew, but decided for the people to report it, but with time, few flagged these sites and it made money, even if it did not make sense

I also wonder how in the world, these terrorists have FB accounts and other social media sites that they use to glorify their garbage and recruit very young people in our countries that do not have a single idea, what these criminals are doing

They should close these sites as they do not have any human rights, but to evaporate out of the earth

My opinion and I stand by it

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:37 am

[green] The problem with[/green] Google[green] is you are going to get dumped on a bunch of robots. Even if they instituted a system reports adjudicated by robots could lead to entire new areas of chaos.

Nobody wants to pay American workers what it would take to have a system that truly would cut the mustard. It is easy to rail against corporations being cheap- but the larger problem is us. We all want things to be free or cheap. If something costs 2 cents less somewhere else we ruthlessly go there. As a people I think that we need to put our greed aside and be willing to pay what it takes for genuine customer service again. [/green]

williKi

Post by williKi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:26 pm

<quote user="wotrocks223">
@williamkinchen What is/are the site(s) that is/are showing the scam ads? If there are any I will rate them down as [red] red.
[/quote]

There are multiples per this article, some are still up:

hxxps://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2015/09/malvertising-via-google-adwords-leads-to-fake-bsod/

Edited to replace the live link.

Have fun.