A list of spamvertised sites

Detective Garp

Oh..

Post by Detective Garp » Fri May 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Oh well, a wasted effort. I guess spam lists aren't the best kind.

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri May 21, 2010 9:49 pm

No, that´s definitely no wasted effort. Now you know what you could make better and that it´s is difficult to verify a spam list. And i think others have learned something, too!

Blueberrycake Level Member of the WOT Community

c۞g

spam

Post by c۞g » Sat May 22, 2010 1:55 am

So I get this email saying that my woman would love me long time ... blah, blah, blah.

The reply email address is: spoof@Detective_Garp.com
The link provided in the email goes to tinyUrl.com/L1NK3D
clicking the URL takes me to: Detective_Garp.some.spoofed.example.com

The originating IP in the email header is 127.0.0.1

Where did the spam come from?
  • The spoofed return email address? No.
  • The Url shortening service tinyUrl? No.
  • The destination link at: Detective_Garp.some.spoofed.example.com? Most likely no. It depends on which IP the domain resides on, if the domain IP is in the same block (neighborhood) as the originating IP, yes.
  • The originating IP? Yes
Does the originating IP resolve to a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME_record t=_self]canonical domain name?[/url]
If Yes, list the domain, if no list the IP though the IP may be dynamic so it would need checked against other sources.

Should the destination link be evaluated?
Absolutely. First thing is to ensure no malware is available, then to determine if Phishing is evidenced, lastly check to see if the domain is listed elsewhere for spam. If Spam, add it to the "list" then on to the next spam message. If not spam, then determine why the link was presented and comment on that reason - not "spam"

Many times the originating IP's are different but the links / destinations are the same - that's bulk - part of the definition for spam; you're going to get hit more than once.

TheBonobo4

You sent me a message

Post by TheBonobo4 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:55 am

You sent me a message telling me to delete some ratings, are you referring to all of these or just one/two from here?

Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community.

QuickMan

I think

Post by QuickMan » Sat May 22, 2010 10:59 am

We need some evidence or the OP of the thread first.

alphacentauri

false positives

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 am

I would not be willing to rate the domains on your list based on the information you have provided.

What is the reason to rate them poorly? If it is only that they sent unsolicited commercial email, it all hinges on whether it was truly unsolicited. We would need to know that you never contacted the advertisers in the past. We can't know that. People often forget they have done it.

If the sites themselves are deserving of low ratings. then we need to know why and the list needs to be sorted accordingly. And we need to know that the bad web pages are not hosted on hacked innocent sites. For instance, example.com might be a good site, but a hacker might have a rogue AV site on norton.example.com. The full link is bad, but it's not fair to rate example.com poorly when it's also a victim.

bortauxfoix

RE: A list of spamvertised sites

Post by bortauxfoix » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

There are at least two entries on your list of the sites that do not SPAM. Besides, the list being outdated being created a year ago (so many things change in a year on the Internet!), the fact that people are actually rating the website because someone tells them to rate accordingly goes against the whole purpose of this site!

RE: A list of spamvertised sites

Post by Guest » Tue May 24, 2011 2:37 pm

@ bortauxfoix
welcome to the Web of Trust forum

There are at least two entries on your list of the sites that do not SPAM

Would you be so kind to tell us the names of the sites you are referring to?
Also provide evidences, please.
Thank you in advance

LeBacha

RE: Re:

Post by LeBacha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 pm

I can't believe, and I don't wanna sound harsh or rude... I just checked x.se on youtube and it's a red website... ... ... I just can't believe it haha