I just learned about this forum and my reputation is low! Help!

The_Saved_Quarter

I just learned about this forum and my reputation is low! Help!

Post by The_Saved_Quarter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:12 am

A reader sent me a message letting me know that my reputation here is low, and I'm surprised to find that my blog is marked as spam!

I'm a frugal blogger and write about making the most of our low income, making extra money from home, and saving a quarter of our income this year. I use Akismet to keep spam comments away, and don't post any kind of spam that I'm aware of.

I would really appreciate your comments to improve my rating! If my blog does come across as "spammy", please let me know what I can do to change that! Thanks,

Penny Saver
thesavedquarter.com

re: your site

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:32 am

Looking at the [url=http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/thesavedquarter.com t=_self]scorecard[/url], I see 3 negative comments, all saying the site is listed on URIBL.com

[url=https://admin.uribl.com/ t=_self]Looking up the site[/url], I find that it is "NOT listed in URIBL"
[url=http://rss.uribl.com/nic/ENOM_INC_.html t=_self]Going to the link provided[/url] from 2 of the comments, I could not find a listing of "thesavedquarter.com". It appears the site has been delisted from URIBL.

I would PM each of the users that left a negative comment (you can do this by going to your site's scorecard and clicking on the users' name, and then leave a message on their board), and kindly ask for a re-evaluation, since the site has been de-listed.

-----http://personalcomputersos.wordpress.com
An Internet Security Blog

The_Saved_Quarter

Thank you, Bob, for your

Post by The_Saved_Quarter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:52 am

Thank you, Bob, for your quick reply and helpful response. I've left them a message and hope to see their reviews changed!

I'm a frugal mom saving my quarters to save a quarter of our income, blogging about it at thesavedquarter.com

alphacentauri

URIBL

Post by alphacentauri » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:14 am

The comments that marked your site red were all from May, when apparently URIBL listed it as having appeared in spam. As far as I know, those reviewers only have access to the free public feeds from URIBL, which are collected from spam after it is received. (Companies that produce spam filters, on the other hand, can pay for more in depth analysis by URIBL that is capable of predicting many spammy domains before they appear in their first spam run.) So the fact that your blog shares hosting with 200 other sites, some of which might be scammy, probably isn't what got you in trouble.

It probably got listed because it was really mentioned in spam, and it probably was only mentioned in one spam run, back in May. URIBL collects spam in spam traps, which are email addresses that are never used for legitimate email -- no one knows them, so no one ought to be sending spam to them.

Possible causes for your listing:
1. Your website or your hosting company may have been hacked back in May, and the criminals who did it inserted unauthorized files on your website. URIBL lists only the domain name, so if there were a file called thesavedquarter.com/index1.html that redirected visitors to a pharma website, only your thesavedquarter.com domain name would be listed. That happens to innocent websites very often.

2. Your domain may have been mentioned as part of random text inserted into a spam to confuse spam filters. Sites like URIBL can catch that when it's a well-known site, like facebook.com, but a small blog like yours might end up listed by mistake. URIBL rotates domains off their lists after 3 days. Spammers are unlikely to continue to use the same obscure domain name very long, because spam filters would start to recognize it. From URIBL's point of view, the problem is self-correcting. You will drop off the list as soon as your domain stops being mentioned in spam.

3. Your email account may be set to bounce undeliverable emails (sent to nonexistent addresses or emails that are clearly spam), but not correctly set to refuse it before accepting it. Once your email account accepts an email, the only way to return it is to use the "from" address. But the "from" address in spam is spoofed. If a spammer accidentally used a "from" address that happened to be a spamtrap and you bounced a spam there, the spamtrap would see the spam being sent from your address, not the original sender. (Even if you have set your email account to discard undeliverable emails, it may still bounce them if your mailbox is over quota.)

4. Possibly a spammer managed to discover a spamtrap address and is trying to poison URIBL's statistics by sending emails to that address advertising innocent sites. I suspect URIBL looks at spam coming to several addresses before listing it, as this seems an obvious strategy and I really haven't seen evidence that spammers are pulling it off.

At least on WOT, the reviewers can edit their reviews if they are no longer pertinent. (On SiteAdvisor.com, all they can do is post new reviews revising what the previously posted.) It would be easier to get them to revise their posts if you have some explanation for how you got listed in the first place. Then they would have more evidence that your domain was really innocent. You might want to go through any emails you received back in May (even those that ended up in the spam filter, as your own domain might have been triggering spam filters at that point) to see if you received some notification of what was going on.

c۞g

re: thesavedquarter.com

Post by c۞g » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:05 am

My advise would be to kindly PM each user who commented referencing URIBL and request removal / review and also explain to them your site:
does not spam having 0 results via [url=http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3athesavedquarter.com t=_self]mxToolBox.com[/url]
and is [url=https://admin.uribl.com/?section=lookup; t=_self]NOT Listed on URIBL[/url]

Welcome to WOT Forum
-------
WOT Services Ltd. - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
- G7W

thesavedquarter.com

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:03 pm

I checked: the site was removed from the list URIBL, and no Spam Blacklists, so I deleted the comment, and I changed my rating from negative to positive.

and my reputation is low! Help!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 pm

rated green = wish you well

The_Saved_Quarter

Thanks so much, everyone! I

Post by The_Saved_Quarter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks so much, everyone! I e-mailed each of the posters last night and all of the negative reviews were removed.

I went through every comment from May and didn't see any spam that got through, although I do regularly get spam that is filtered out by Akismet and all of those were deleted as they came in. I will keep an eye on my rating in case any future problems arise.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:26 pm

You are more than welcome !

Dutch Mountain

Site = o.k.

Post by Dutch Mountain » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Rated 4 x full green.

"Wotting" below sea level, safe (?) behind a "Dutch mountain", to create a better internet.