How Will The New Version Be Downloaded/Feedback Comments

Satchman

How Will The New Version Be Downloaded/Feedback Comments

Post by Satchman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Greetings WOT!

I made a few questions about the new version, which is being released with regards to what to expect questions:

1.) Will the new MY WOT eventually download automatically?

2.) What browsers will not have the new add-on? I assume all versions of Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and IE 9 and above will have it.? What about IE 8 and below?

3.) For users with a competitive, compatible browser PLUS IE 8:

If the new WOT does NOT replace the old version in IE 8, will there be two versions of WOT running in Control Panel/My Programs?

4.) Will a manual download of the new version be required for each supported browser on the system if an older version is not installed? What about if an older version IS installed? Will existing versions be over-ridden so that WOT community users don't lose their site ratings information who have registered with MY WOT?

Anything else the community may want to question, or comments to add, please do that!

Satch

Sami

RE: How Will The New Version Be Downloaded and What To Expect?

Post by Sami » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:08 pm

<quote user="satchman">
1.) Will the new MY WOT eventually download automatically?
[/quote]

Once the add-on has been released and published in add-on galleries, your browser will automatically update your existing add-on to the new version.
2.) What browsers will not have the new add-on? I assume all versions of Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and IE 9 and above will have it.? What about IE 8 and below?
The new version will become available for all currently supported browsers, except Internet Explorer.

On the release day, the add-on will be available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. It will be available for Safari a bit later. We will continue supporting the current add-on for IE, but it naturally doesn't have any of the new features.
3.) For users with a competitive, compatible browser PLUS IE 8:

If the new WOT does NOT replace the old version in IE 8, will there be two versions of WOT running in Control Panel/My Programs
The new version won't be available for IE, at least not in the near future, but the existing IE add-on will continue working normally.
4.) Will a manual download of the new version be required for each supported browser on the system if an older version is not installed?
If you don't already have the add-on, then yes, you need to manually install it.
What about if an older version IS installed? Will existing versions be over-ridden so that WOT community users don't lose their site ratings information who have registered with MY WOT?
Your ratings will not be lost during add-on updates, whether you have an account or not.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm

<quote user="sami">
Once the add-on has been released and published in add-on galleries, your browser will automatically update your existing add-on to the new version.

The new version will become available for all currently supported browsers, except Internet Explorer.

On the release day, the add-on will be available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. It will be available for Safari a bit later. We will continue supporting the current add-on for IE, but it naturally doesn't have any of the new features.

The new version won't be available for IE, at least not in the near future, but the existing IE add-on will continue working normally.

If you don't already have the add-on, then yes, you need to manually install it.

Your ratings will not be lost during add-on updates, whether you have an account or not.
[/quote]

Thanks Sami,

This is immensely helpful! The only thing that surprised me was no current release plans for IE9+. I assume that also means IE 9 for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 users? I could see why IE 8 would no longer be upgradable to the new WOT.

Satch

Sami

Post by Sami » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:39 am

<quote user="satchman">
The only thing that surprised me was no current release plans for IE9+.
[/quote]

It's because the development effort required for IE is several times the effort required to create add-ons for all other browsers, combined. Unfortunately, I don't see this situation changing unless Microsoft one day decides to include a modern browser extension API in IE.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:08 pm

I like the layout with the new scorecards and comments! (Using Firefox here) Got auto-updated this morning. The search engine pop-up still shows the old Trustworthiness, Vender Reliability, Privacy, and Child Safety ratings with the rating influence people icon. I suspect it may take awhile for the Guide Settings and searches to carry over.

I really like the expanded comments section!

Satch

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks, the website has been updated to match the new version, the add-ons will be updated once they have been reviewed and published in add-on galleries, which may take a few days.

Satchman

RE: How Will The New Version Be Downloaded/Feedback Comments

Post by Satchman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm

<quote user="sami">
Thanks, the website has been updated to match the new version, the add-ons will be updated once they have been reviewed and published in add-on galleries, which may take a few days.
[/quote]

Thanks!

Interestingly enough, IE 8 WOT scorecards also are showing the new layout. A couple of suggestions that I have about the new scorecards that the developers might want to consider in subsequent updates:

1.) When marking them off with the Yes or No choices, the selector that indicates Yes or No is too light. This should be made darker and more definitive so that it is easier to see. WOT's excellence to assisting users with the Color Blind Option, shows why it would benefit those users in making the Yes/No Choices darker and easier to view.

2.) WOT's new Alternative or Controversial Medicine category seems VERY ambiguous. This rating comment should be re-evaluated or removed. Because the medical field is so diverse, wonderful medical evaluations or some may be an awful experience for others.

Yes or no votes to the Alternative/Controversial Medicine Category may not give an accurate representation of the site. This categories' comment becomes superficial, and not grounded in reality.. The problem is that voting in this category makes it impossible to know the medical background of the users evaluating the site. It skews the data for that website. A better solution would be to have community members use the Poor Customer Experience or Misleading Claims or Unethical comment for bad medical sites. Than, if they choose to, leave a comment relating to their own personal experience with the site or medical business.

Additionally, if WOT keeps the Alternative/Controversial Medicine category , it should be moved from the Positive/Neutral Category to the Questionable Category. Simply because if something is controversial with the medical field, I don't think that represents a Positive or Neutral experience, which is the category that Controversial/Alternative Medicine is in now.

Satch

Satchman

RE: How Will The New Version Be Downloaded/Feedback Comments

Post by Satchman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Got fully auto updated today in Firefox!

Thanks to everyone at WOT for a better site-rating experience. Will continue to comment accordingly based on my use and opinions of the new version.

Satch