[WOT Settings] "Child Safety" (in Ratings) vs. "Ignore child safety in 'optimized' and 'lowest rating' methods" (in Searching)

dst72

[WOT Settings] "Child Safety" (in Ratings) vs. "Ignore child safety in 'optimized' and 'lowest rating' methods" (in Searching)

Post by dst72 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi,

In WOT Settings you have the settings "Child Safety" (in Ratings) and "Ignore child safety in 'optimized' and 'lowest rating' methods" (in Searching). What is/are the different(s) between these two? And how do they help each other?

1) If I click "Child Safety" off and "Ignore child safety in... methods" is clicked on, what result(s) do I get by visiting 'anti-child websites' ?

2) And what do I get if "Child Safety" = ON and "Ignore child safety in... methods" = OFF when I visit anti-child websites?

3) And let me guess: if both "Child Safety" and "Ignore child safety in... methods" are clicked off, I don't get a 'child warning' by visiting anti-child websites, right?

Many thanks when answering!

Sami

Re: Child safety options

Post by Sami » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:13 pm

If you turn off the child safety component from the Ratings page, it's turned off everywhere. If you have it enabled, the "Ignore child safety..." option in the Searching page means you won't see red symbols next to sites with poor child safety on search results. In other words:

1) The child safety component isn't shown or used anywhere.

2) You'll see red ratings on web search results for sites with a poor child safety rating. You still won't be warned about child safety unless you enable warnings for the rating component on the Warnings page.

3) If you turn off the child safety component, you won't be warned about poor child safety. However, the "Ignore child safety..." option on the Searching page doesn't affect warnings, you can configure them on the Warnings page.

dst72

First of all, sorry for my

Post by dst72 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:28 pm

First of all, sorry for my late reply.

1. If I understand correctly, the "Ignore child safety ... methods" option in Searching is ONLY effective when "Child Safety" in Ratings = ON, right?

2. If 1 is correct, wouldn't it be better to make "Ignore child safety ... methods" non-clickable when "Child Safety" = OFF ? It's then less confusing (for me ;-))

3. "Ignore child safety ... methods" = ON or "Ignore child safety ... methods" = OFF: I notice no differences in search results when "Child Safety" = ON. How come?

Again, thanks when replying!

Sami

Re: Child safety options

Post by Sami » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:07 pm

1. That's correct.

2. You're right, disabling or hiding the option if the child safety component isn't selected would be less confusing. We'll fix this in the next version.

3. You'll also need to enable warnings for child safety, because the optimized method shows "... the rating for any component that triggers a warning under your chosen settings".