What antivirus do you have?

MysteryFCM

RE: What antivirus do you have?

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 am

Well this is straight outta wiki...

"A rootkit is software that enables continued privileged access to a computer while actively hiding its presence from administrators by subverting standard operating system functionality or other applications."
The key part of this that differentiates the two, is the part I've highlighted.
I have seen viruses disable these things and still display the av is running fine. Mostly I have seen these specialty viruses in office servers collecting data.

So I say that running it is just a waste in resources as I have to scan with a rookit remover all the time anyway.
No security software will stop everything, nor should it be relied upon to stop everything, which is why most in the sec com, recommend a layered approach.

Just because something gets past the security software, doesn't mean you should just remove the security software. Either replace the security software with something that has better detection/protection, or report the missed infection to the security softwares vendors, so action can be taken to prevent further breaches.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:42 am

They're the same thing. Security software uses drivers to talk directly to the hardware and file systems, to allow bypassing the operating system. Drivers are also used to talk directly to the BIOS, again, bypassing the operating system (though you'll tend to find these drivers in monitoring software, rather than security software).

/edit

Just to clarify, the security software talks to the hardwares device drivers, using it's own software drivers (except in the case of some security software, that talks directly to the device drivers itself)

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Running in sandboxes is indeed a good idea, as is checking for rootkits.However, you said Sandboxie had rootkits, which isn't true, Sandboxie has drivers, it doesn't have rootkits.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:15 pm

No problem. Was obviously just a misunderstanding.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:16 pm

For what? Protection or analysis?

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm

AVG, Norton and McAfee are one of the first things I replace if they're present ;o)

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:18 pm

The guy you call expert is not an expert and out discussion and him getting me baned was proof he was wrong.

@justfix
Dear, Try to behave politely .
I don't see @Steven was wrong and he can't banned you as he is only moderator not a Wot staff.

What was your point about comodo and believe you need a combo of things but have to check them out to make sure they are compatible with each other.

I don't think so that its easy to convince you for a thing it doesn't matter whether its right or wrong.
So i don't want to explain anything.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I use comodo for there award winning firewall for a soft firewall

Any evidence in support of your claim(award winning firewall).

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24 pm

AVG, Norton and McAfee are one of the first things I replace if they're present ;o)
Me too..

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 pm

For what? Protection or analysis?

I think mentioning both would be great.