sub-domains reputation

th3br41n

RE: sub-domains reputation

Post by th3br41n » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:35 pm

<quote user="jazspeak">
I have already been reading the entire thread before adding my tuppence worth.

I should have thought it quite obvious that being able to rate directly on scorecards rather than actually having to visit the site to verify its existence means that the WOT system has to generate each scorecard to be rated. Then when you look in your ratings list (that only you can see) there will be a link to the generated scorecard.

The number of generated scorecards would quickly increase, and it is clear that a large percentage of the generated scorecards will be for subdomains that do not exist but take up increasingly precious resources on the WOT system.
[/quote]

WOT does not generate scorecards for each subdomains, for example if you visit the scorecard for the subdomain 12345.google.it you will read this "This subdomain inherits the reputation of google.it. Leave your rating for a separate reputation.".

If you want to separate the reputation of a subdomain, you have to rate the subdomain... This limits the number of possibile generated scorecards..

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:46 pm

<quote user="th3br41n">
"...for example if you visit the scorecard..."
[/quote]

But that's my point. A scorecard has to be generated and stored for you to be able to visit the scorecard. Similarly, anyone using the MRT can generate scorecards by the thousands, and those scorecards have to be generated and stored so that they can be visited, re-rated, and so on.

<quote user="th3br41n">
"If you want to separate the reputation of a subdomain, you have to rate the subdomain... This limits the number of possibile generated scorecards.."
[/quote]

You have used * in your terms, and in Boolean anyone using * is opening the floodgates.

th3br41n

Post by th3br41n » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:57 pm

<quote user="jazspeak">
But that's my point. A scorecard has to be generated and stored for you to be able to visit the scorecard.
[/quote]

Actually the scorecard of a subdomain is not stored, it is a "dynamic" scorecard simply generated by the WOT engine. A scorecard is stored only if a user separately rates the subdomain.

<quote user="jazspeak">
Similarly, anyone using the MRT can generate scorecards by the thousands, and those scorecards have to be generated and stored so that they can be visited, re-rated, and so on.
[/quote]

The MRT works in a different way, It actually creates and stores a scorecard for each entry.

The tool I'm proposing is not a mass rating tool, but is meant to override the behaviour of the WOT engine when it calculates scorecards for subdomains. https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/26218-sub-domains-reputation?comment=158854#comment-158854

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 am

So do you mean this is for informational display purposes only - the WoT browser add-on color, SERPs, and the warning screen - but not for actual rating or modification of scorecards?

th3br41n

Post by th3br41n » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 am

<quote user="myxt">
So do you mean this is for informational display purposes only - the WoT browser add-on color, SERPs, and the warning screen - but not for actual rating or modification of scorecards?
[/quote]

Yes, the main purpose is to protect users... A dynamic (i.e., without storing it) scorecard could be displayed for a particular subdomain just to allow users to separately rate that subdomain. An alert message should be shown on the dynamic scorecard as WOT does with subdomains that inherit the rating of the main domain.

My suggestion is compatible with the WOT engine. Indeed, the WOT engine already dynamically evaluates the rating of subdomains basing it on the rating of the main domain until the subdomain itself has a separate and reliable rating.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:15 am

So raters would rate only a confirmed, existing subdomain which they encountered, and they would never rate the RegEx fairy-dust, potential subdomains? The RegEx procedure would only alert them that paypal.x.y.scam.com could be as evil as scam.com? If so, that would seem legitimate and do-able. However, this display should be an advanced option, disabled by default, so as not to upset the apple-cart for most users.

The final issue I see is for domains like clickbank.net which is basically a neutral service with thousands of both good and bad (possibly more bad) subdomains. The uninitiated, who enable the RegEx display option, could easily get the idea that all clickbank.net subdomains are bad without bothering to investigate. [Note to everyone: this is to make a point, not to praise ClickBank.]

th3br41n

Post by th3br41n » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 am

<quote user="myxt">
So raters would rate only a confirmed, existing subdomain which they encountered, and they would never rate the RegEx fairy-dust, potential subdomains? The RegEx procedure would only alert them that paypal.x.y.scam.com could be as evil as scam.com? If so, that would seem legitimate and do-able. However, this display should be an advanced option, disabled by default, so as not to upset the apple-cart for most users.
[/quote]

Actually, mine is only a proposal, it could be improved for sure... The target should be to protect users from random phishing subdomains, so I think it should be enabled by default. However, this is not so important now...

<quote user="myxt">
The final issue I see is for domains like clickbank.net which is basically a neutral service with thousands of both good and bad (possibly more bad) subdomains. The uninitiated, who enable the RegEx display option, could easily get the idea that all clickbank.net subdomains are bad without bothering to investigate. [Note to everyone: this is to make a point, not to praise ClickBank.]
[/quote]

It could be a dangerous tool and should be used carefully... For this reason I think it should be available only to high level users with restrictions and severe rules... For example, to avoid the issue you pointed out, a restriction could be that at least one part of the subdomain should not be variable: a user can create paypal.*.*.scam.com but not *.*.*.scam.com.

[EDIT] the main target of a community is to help each other to correct possible problems; another idea, could be to oblige who use this tool to provide a link to a forum post or thread, where other users can read the reason of the rating. Another one could be a special page where every logged user can find a list of the last (for example) 10 subdomains that were defined with the tool..