Mass Rating Tool Madness?

c۞g

RE: Mass Rating Tool Madness?

Post by c۞g » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:12 am

<quote user="a440">
I just turned platinum so now that I have the POWER to carpet bomb sites, I will not be using the tool very often since I more often am picking off issues that pop up piecemeal. Most users likely use the tool not so often and, like me, they would respond to PMs related to faulty ratings. IMHO, IMBD you are making much out of so little.

I do feel like I have a B-52 now and that is slightly amusing. I would enjoy it more only if WOT employed animated GIFs of sites being blown apart, on the scorecards, for being untrustworthy.
[/quote]
Though designed for multiple domains (100 per submission) it's very handy for single domains as well, especially if you incorporate the !domain variable in the comment; see the wiki article for more information and examples.

A440

Post by A440 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:53 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
Though designed for multiple domains (100 per submission) it's very handy for single domains as well, especially if you incorporate the !domain variable in the comment; see the wiki article for more information and examples.
[/quote]Ahhh, got it.

Ken.Tonks

Post by Ken.Tonks » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:18 pm

I recently found out that my website was "rated" by a member using this mass rating tool. He's "rated" almost 5 million sites in the last 4 years btw. My site was labeled as "spammy, spamming, spammer". This has affected our sites ranking in other places as well. I checked with my web host and they find no evidence of any spam and the I.P. address the "rater" showed isn't even an I.P. address my host owns. This is pure slander. I wrote to WOT explaining I've never, not even once sent any kind of e-mail or spam out to anyone. Not even a single time. I was given a link to sign up as a website owner, to add WOT meta tags to my site etc. Amazing that a company that purports to be tell us who to trust can itself be so untrustworthy.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 pm

<quote user="ken.tonks">
I recently found out that my website was "rated" by a member using this mass rating tool. He's "rated" almost 5 million sites in the last 4 years btw. My site was labeled as "spammy, spamming, spammer". This has affected our sites ranking in other places as well. I checked with my web host and they find no evidence of any spam and the I.P. address the "rater" showed isn't even an I.P. address my host owns. This is pure slander. I wrote to WOT explaining I've never, not even once sent any kind of e-mail or spam out to anyone. Not even a single time. I was given a link to sign up as a website owner, to add WOT meta tags to my site etc. Amazing that a company that purports to be tell us who to trust can itself be so untrustworthy.
[/quote]

Can't comment on GURBLs comment, but curious that you failed to disclose yourself as the site owner in your "positive comment"

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 am

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
Can't comment on GURBLs comment, but curious that you failed to disclose yourself as the site owner in your "positive comment"
[/quote]

In fairness, I don't feel that WOT has been clear enough in posting a rule that owners must identify themselves when posting a rating that constitutes a summary of what their site is trying to accomplish. They have a right to an opinion, too. I assume that at least some positive opinions on any scorecard are probably friends/family/employees of the owner. Unless they have generated reputation by rating other sites, it doesn't really affect much.

As far as GURBL's comment, I found his original comment at https://www.mywot.com/en/user/1863955/comments?page=45801 which involved a lot of "half off" discount sites and golf sites related to Neofill, which appears to be related to iheartmedia. I can see those sites being aggressive at emailing people who may not understand that signing up with iheartradio got them signed up with half off deals,

But I find absolutely no relationship between your golf site (saveongolf.net) and the golf sites at that IP address. No one is even using proxy registrations. The ownership is clearly unrelated. You have owned that domain since 2012, before GURBL's comment was posted.

I don't know how GURBL mixed up your site with the others. In any case, I have given a good rating, as I see nothing other than a site with affiliate links organizing products available on a variety of sites of similar interest.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:57 am

This topic really really Really REALLY needs to be renamed.

It is still a (search) magnet for people who think the MRT has magick powers like [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir t=_blank]Mjölnir[/url], and who should either:
- read the entire topic to realize there are no such powers, or
- revisit their existing site evaluation topics, or
- submit their sites for [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/5 t=_self]evaluation[/url], or
- contact [url=https://www.mywot.com/support/feedback/general t=_self]WoT Support[/url].

ifif

Post by ifif » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:36 pm

<quote user="alecsf">
WOT is basically broken by design. I'd never heard of it until some PEBCAK on a forum shrieked "your web site has a low trust rating!"

WTF? So eventually I discovered she was using WOT. My website had been rated by ONE user who left the comment: 'URL was found on a list of malware' or something similar. The user was basically anonymous (movie derived nickname). the WOT process left no path whatsoever to facilitate a solution, nor did it trigger any notification. Then I found out: in order to do anything about the rating I'm supposed to put WOT code in my site pages! I mean... sorry. WHAT? Who do you think you are? Google?

Our site is a shopfront for a corporate training company with 80-90% repeat business (vendor satisfaction right there), no 'adult content', no login, minimal opportunity to input data... We don't need a red flag from a malicious or incompetent user scaring technically inept visitors into into thinking (based on the dumb WOT scorecard) that we are....

Not trustworthy?
Unreliable?
Abuse privacy?
Are not safe for children?

If I get directed to a phishing site, or a site which might have malicious content, my browsers - yes, all three - will tell me. And they've got a hit rate which pretty much sh*ts all over WOT.

This is a sad and misguided attempt to become the internet police by a group of people who evidently don't have the competence. WOT is unnecessary, inaccurate and ultimately dangerous. (A failed safety measure is worse than none at all, as it lowers vigilance.)

It will, one hopes, eventually be successfully sued (if this got big enough to seriously threaten to effect my business, and others proposed a class action, I'd definitely join) or people will simply realize it's crap.

There's absolutely nothing viable biult into the service for interaction with people who have been maliciously or incompetently dealt unfair ratings.

Sorry, WOT, your service is BS.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you!. Lately I have been getting a lot of untrusworthy sites warnings and they seem to be sites that has information about alternative health. Initially I reacted by exiting. However, I became suspicious as it was getting more frequent. Upon further investigation, I realised most of these site were perfectly safe and very informative and providing a useful service to people who are seeking such informations.

It seems there are individuals/group with extreme anti alternative medicine views doing the biddings of their own narrow minds or on behest of the medical/pharmaceutical mafia to protect their bottom line. These are by no means isolated incidences. It is the concerted action of individuals/group doing their utmost in sabotaging such innocent sites.

Unless WOT has a system to prevent such abuse, it wlil itself be deemed untrustworthy, loses its credibility and ultimately its relevance. Which is a pity as it seems like a good idea to start with.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:50 pm

<quote user="ifif">
I totally agree with you!. [/quote]

You're replying to an off-topic post. Please read the original post and then check the wiki to find out what the "mass rating tool is."

Post by 4897220 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:16 am

If the site owner does not agree with the rating. Let submits a request to submit their sites for evaluation.

Если владелец сайта не согласен с рейтингом. Пусть подает запрос на переоценку своего сайта.

exstreme

Post by exstreme » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 am

Почему-то мне казалось, что MRT выдаётся после одобрения администрации. Однако не единичные случаи получения непонятными пользователями заставляют усомняться в данном факте.
Как яркий пример, пользователь, достигший платинового статуса за 2-3 дня, уже пользуется MRT.