Another Feature Request

RE: Another Feature Request

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 am

We may have covered this previous or perhaps not (havn't checked). I propose:

Ratings and comments disapear from scorecards after being 3 years old (inhouse cleaning so to speak). This will help maintain scorecard accuracy by removing older comments which may be inacurate plus encourage people to to renew a previously old rating and/or comment.

Sami

Post by Sami » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

<quote user="c۞g">
When the rating system is used to send notices to join discussion, then the "system" breaches itself.
[/quote]

As I said, you are the only one who sees the notification. Here's what the message says:

Hi,
The following site owners have requested for their site's reputation to be re-evaluated. Please read their requests on the forum and see if your ratings and comments are still relevant.
- [link to scorecard]
Read the request here: [link to the review request]
Note: this is an automated notification that doesn't require a response.

There's no invitation to join the discussion. As you can see, the notification asks you to read the site owner's request and to make sure your rating and comment still apply. Joining the discussion is just as voluntary as leaving a comment on the scorecard.
Because a user is registered to the forum, the rating system should not show disregard to the privacy assured by WOT concerning rating privacy.
Ratings are private and pseudonymous, but not anonymous. You and the rating system both know about your ratings. Nobody else does. Unless you choose to post something, it will always remain that way. What comes to privacy, an automated private notification is no different than showing your ratings on the My ratings tab.

We fully understand that receiving lots of notifications through the board can be annoying, which is why we will create a much improved solution for this once we are done with more urgent changes. You will hear more in the coming weeks.
I'm certain that the millions of non-registered users do not receive Admin Notifications based solely upon their ratings.
No, not at the moment, but it's possible that add-on users may be notified somehow in future too. Perhaps they will have access to the same kind of functionality we are planning for registered users. Let's see.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:23 pm

<quote user="issviews">
I don't think this would be a good idea. What's to stop the previous bad owners allowing expunging then buying the domain again, to get a clean record and back to peddling their stuff! Sooner or later scammers will be aware of the impact WOT has on their sites and will adapt to use this proposed change to their advantage.
[/quote]

This one has bothered me, and at the moment I have to tend to agree with you. Though I'm sure there's a solution. I'll leave that to greater minds to ponder.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:26 pm

<quote user="issviews">
We may have covered this previous or perhaps not (havn't checked). I propose:

Ratings and comments disapear from scorecards after being 3 years old (inhouse cleaning so to speak). This will help maintain scorecard accuracy by removing older comments which may be inacurate plus encourage people to to renew a previously old rating and/or comment.
[/quote]

Can't agree with you here. Would just cause constant reevaluation requests. Rating from non active members maybe should be sponged after a time limit.

I'm just glad I don't own WoT. I'd never get any sleep trying to figure this crap out.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 pm

<quote user="sami">

Ratings are private and pseudonymous, but not anonymous.
[/quote]

I thought votes were anonymous whilst user names are pseudonyms
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pseudonym
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pseudonymous

What I am missing?
After all english is not my mother tongue although the most of 'english' concepts have the same meaning as in italian /spanish / french etc

[EDIT TO ADD]] Maybe you mean written under a fictitious name. Well I see no difference since ratings are not written, comments are.

<quote user="sami">
Hi,
The following site owners have requested for their site's reputation to be re-evaluated. Please read their requests on the forum and see if your ratings and comments are still relevant.
- [link to scorecard]
Note: this is an automated notification that doesn't require a response.

There's no invitation to join the discussion. As you can see, the notification asks you to read the site owner's request and to make sure your rating and comment still apply. Joining the discussion is just as voluntary as leaving a comment on the scorecard.
[/quote]

I agree, there is no invitation to join the discussion, though

as far as I know this is imperative mood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_mood#English

Usage
The use of the imperative mood may be seen as impolite, inappropriate or even offensive in certain circumstances. In polite speech, orders or requests are often phrased instead as questions or statements, rather than as imperatives:

Could you come here for a moment? (politer than "Come here!")
It would be great if you made us a drink. (for "Make us a drink!")
I have to ask you to stop. (for "Stop!")

In italian and spanish, the usage of the imperative mood is the same as in english.

Having said that, I'd like to see notifications in italian to italian members, in spanish to spaniards and the most of south americans and so on..
I know that translators are expensive, but the english language is required in the forum only not to count that many members do not speak or understand english even though english in the second language in the World.

In my opinion we should put ourselves into other members' shoes, in other words, since we cannot know how others would respond ( react) though we can attempt to imagine it

May I know your thoughts, please?
Thank you in advance

Sami

Post by Sami » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
I thought votes were anonymous whilst user names are pseudonyms
[/quote]

Both are pseudonymous, as in not associated to your actual name, provided that your user name is different from your actual name, of course. Ratings are associated to a random identifier that's created when you install the add-on. If ratings were fully anonymous, it would not be possible to assign rating reliability to them. However, ratings are also private, which means other people are not able to see them.
as far as I know this is imperative mood
Strictly speaking, yes, but it's used there only for brevity.