New gold member

I agree in part but a little

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:25 am

I agree in part but a little encouragement doesn't hurt anyone. Would you prefer we said 'Whoopie doo, so what", ! if you get gold or even Blueberry Cake? Just because they posted their achievement with pride, does not mean they did not apply good rating practices does it, or have I misunderstood this?

Who are you talking to?

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 am

@ IssViews,

"a little encouragement doesn't hurt anyone"
Depends on what the motivation for the encouragement is, but I get your point and pretty much agree.

"Whoopie doo"
The phonetic for the American phrasing would be "Whoop-dee-doo"

"does not mean they did not apply good rating practices"
Nor does it mean they DO use good rating practices. The assumption that it means they DO, with a certainty, is the problem I see.

If everybody knew that activity level neither confirms nor denies that the bearer uses good rating practices, IOW it has absolutely nothing to do with it, then there wouldn't be a problem. Nor would there be, I suspect, such focus on activity levels.

Activity level is nothing but a number that says you post a lot and rate a lot, absolutely nothing more. It says nothing about whether or not people would want to read your posts or that your ratings are sound. It says nothing about whether or not you should be respected in the community.

Nevertheless, it is an achievement (of sorts anyway) and one that for some gives a legitimate and deserved sense of pride and accomplishment. So, for those individuals, I would offer compliments.

phantazm

Before and now...

Post by phantazm » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:43 pm

@ BobJam

"Before this board appearance was redesigned, it was that way. I think you were around then."

The new design looks so much better, that I can hardly recall the old one. I was around back then;
actually I arrived here ½ year before you, but then again, you arrived on this planet a decade before me, so you're still first ;-)

"I don't remember we had this emphasis on activity level in "the old days"..."

Indeed, time moves faster and faster if last year now means 'old days'. I remember the "Grumpy Old Men" award.
I kinda miss that joke now...

But things do improve. Remember that earlier each avatar image had a thick border; colour was used to signify activity level..?

It wasn't the best solution, as silver and platinum looked alike. Plus the colour of the border sometimes clashed with the colours of the image. But the border is gone now; they didn't announce that change (or perhaps I was away that day)...

"Anyway, I don't remember we had this emphasis on activity level in "the old days". .."

I think the difference between old and new days is partly this: the first people to discover WOT were mostly those who were already involved in this business. (I came here from Siteadvisor, and I can recognize some of the others, like "seanW" or "AlphaCentauri"). Now, it looks like the majority of raters are new in the game; they started here, at the bottom. Reputation, measured as activity level, means something different to newbies, compared to those who already had it years ago...

"But then "the old days" always seem better than they actually were."

I think that minor problems tend to disappear, given enough time. Major stuff is different;
here we usually recall both "the best of times" and "the worst of times"...

New gold member

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:19 pm

@ Dante v3.11 = Congratulations for a hard work . working is a merit , and in your case well deserved .

Nor does it mean they DO use

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Nor does it mean they DO use good rating practices. The assumption that it means they DO, with a certainty, is the problem I see.
This is the problem as the definition for good rating practices varies considerably within WOT. Yes many of us have adopted a means to rate sites following certain guidelines however there are equally as many, if not more people who disagree with how we do this. A site that is spamming or hosting bad content is not such a bad thing in a lot of peoples eyes (as we have seen in thread reviews) becasue they use the site, it provides what they want and as far are concerned, it is trustworthy.

Activity level is nothing but a number that says you post a lot and rate a lot, absolutely nothing more and Nevertheless, it is an achievement (of sorts anyway) and one that for some gives a legitimate and deserved sense of pride and accomplishment. So, for those individuals, I would offer compliments.
Agreed but it should not be mocked because some people regard it as an achievement and are working for the next level. Not everyone will be rating senselessly just to get high up in the stakes and many do learn from advice given in threads on rating site, to better their own submissions. If they feel pride in getting Gold or Platimum, is it right to put them down? We are all here for the same reasons. We must also consider that there are people who have not had any success in their careers or other aspects of life, so obtaining a an activirty level is a big thing to them. I know it means little in the end as reliability in rating is the key factor plus activity levels are purely cosmetic (bar the MRT).

At the end of the day, is it right to deflate those who post their achivement and not critisise WOT for implementing the feature?

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:12 pm

You're missing the access to the first tab of the Guild Bank. To not mention that now is the time for him to go on some Dungeons and Battlegrounds and do some more Arena-PvPs (LOL). :-P j/k

MF, Are you by any chance a

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:20 pm

MF, Are you by any chance a World of Warcraft gamer? (shock)

TheAnon

Yes there are many platinums

Post by TheAnon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:15 am

Yes there are many platinums nowadays, but we were bronze members too. You will make your way to a better activity level sooner or later. Never forget Reliability is not equal to Activity. e.g. you can be more reliable than a platinum member even if you only have a tenth of his points.

Echo

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm

@ Dante v3.11,

"Never forget Reliability is not equal to Activity. e.g. you can be more reliable than a platinum member even if you only have a tenth of his points."
Well put and essential to understanding the scheme of this thing.

Variant Safety

Update

Post by Variant Safety » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 pm

I am Gold now.