Problems with the website

Myxt

Re: Problems with the website

Post by Myxt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 am

MarkGiles wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:05 am
... there are many thousands as sites reviewed as illegal, frauds, etc that have been cleaned up, but still carry an obsolete rating.
... further complicated by the fact that we cannot find sites rated anonymously (without comments) unless we kept meticulous notes indefinitely.

ATM, our rating-user profiles show only 10 domains (only those with comments) at a time in a social media style "infinite scroll" (you think you are seeing more than 10 - hold that thought). Someone who rated (with comments) 150,000 sites would have to scroll down 15,000 times to see the earliest sites. Even if he had sufficient time, (RAM,) and a new keyboard, it is possible to Select and Copy only the 10-15 items nearest to the viewport.

Or try this: Go to your profile/ratings. Select and copy a domain name near the top of the list. Scroll down a few pages. Try using your browser's Find feature to find the domain name you just copied. Not found? Scroll back up: ah, there it is. That's because "infinite scroll" conserves memory by loading only a little more than your viewport can display.

If you want to know whether you already rated abc.xyz, the best way is to look at its scorecard. If you have a large list ... let's just say that WoT has rules limiting automated queries. Now if you could simply download a .ZIP of all your ratings and comments, it would be splendid.
____

@MarkGiles - I haven't tested recently: does the MRT still fail above 100 domains per session per 7-10 minutes?
@MyWOT-Team - That's also in the Wiki/MRT.

MarkGiles

Failure of MRT to update categories.

Post by MarkGiles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:30 pm

I am sure you are trying to be helpful. But after waiting a week, and seeing the same issue, I can assure you that despite your optimism this issue is clearly a problem that has not been fixed.

Can you perform your own experiment and see if it occurs for you as well as me?

By the way, the 3 that I quoted as examples -
blingseatra.com
domaintravelling-my.com
sakuratra.com

Because these are serious fraud sites that need to be red-flagged, I used the work-around solution and ranked them individually to protect the innocent, vulnerable, and naive.
Last edited by MarkGiles on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkGiles

MRT limited submission rate

Post by MarkGiles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 pm

@MarkGiles - I haven't tested recently: does the MRT still fail above 100 domains per session per 7-10 minutes?
@MyWOT-Team - That's also in the Wiki/MRT.

I was trying to keep each problem separate, but here is the next one.

Refer to https://www.mywot.com/wiki/index.php/Ma ... limitation
Submit limitation
Submits are limited to 100 per 10 minutes. With each submission allowing up to 100 domains, you are limited to 10,000 domains per 10 minutes. This limitation is in place to stop a malfunctioning add-on or a bot from causing excessive server load.
The current MRT limit on submission rate is set less than 200 updates (100 URLs/domains) per several minutes.

First thing this morning I submitted one MRT request for 100 domains. It was accepted.
I then submitted my next 100
"Something went wrong, please try again later"

Sometimes it will take two submissions in quick succession, but never 3 submissions of 100.

Myxt

Re: MRT limited submission rate

Post by Myxt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 am

MarkGiles wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 pm
"Something went wrong, please try again later"
The first clue that something is wrong is that the top <=100 sites - that were just processed by Submit - still remain in the input box, to be manually removed by the user instead of automatically removed by the system. The next clue is the system complains that 200 is too many.

If the user selects appropriate categories and rating and inputs, for example, 1,000 domains, then after clicking Submit, the system should: process the top 100 domains, remove them from the stack, and alert the user that he has 900 more domains to process. Then user needs only to click Submit again to process the next 100 (alert: "800 remain"), and so-on until the stack is empty.

If the user has 5K domains, manually copying/pasting, and then deleting, 100 at a time in the input box - not to mention waiting several minutes between sets - is unnecessary overhead.

spectre

Blog Links & Email Support

Post by spectre » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 pm

There are active links to untrusted sites and cloaked links outside Wot in blog topics. Members should be aware of sites they are visiting when clicking on links.
EG - https://www.mywot.com/blog/importance-c ... ews-online

There is spam in blog comments - pointless comments and live links.
EG - https://www.mywot.com/blog/10-security- ... ryone-know

Email support is poor now. If & when I receive replies, I do not receive direct replies to specific emails.
I see:
Your request (.......) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.
To add additional comments, reply to this email.
Replies are usually muddled and not separated according to the original subject. If I'm discussing manipulation in an email I don't expect the replies to be about the new Russian translation or beta testing.

Myxt wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 am
Now if you could simply download a .ZIP of all your ratings and comments, it would be splendid.

Please be patient? 3 years later.................

Myxt

Re: Blog Links & Email Support

Post by Myxt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am

spectre wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 pm
Moderators (spectre, NotBuyingIt, etc) should have authority to delete spam from the Blog.
The Blog should render links as plain text.

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 am

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am
Moderators (spectre, NotBuyingIt, etc) should have authority to delete spam from the Blog.
Regarding the MRT - Sorry for the inconvenience it might cause, we're working to fix it. Currently the Dev team is comleteting an API maintainance and we hope it might fix these issues in the near future.

Regarding Blog spam- thanks for sharing it @Myxt we'll take care of it

spectre

Post by spectre » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am
How would you deal with staff ignoring Wot guidelines & posting links to untrusted sites? Should moderators be able to hide the entire article or would you enable them to edit articles? We've never been given authority to edit forum posts as mods on other forums can.

@ support
please provide me with a list of all my ratings so I may check / update them

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 am

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm
1. How would you deal with staff ignoring Wot guidelines & posting links to untrusted sites?
2. Should moderators be able to hide the entire article or would you enable them to edit articles?
0. Although I don't know how many turnovers of Staff there have been, my general feeling is that we now have people who may be less familiar with the grand design of WoT, yet who are devoting more time and resources to master and revive it. I take it as a gesture of good faith that user MyWOT-Team is willing to walk into the lion's den here to communicate. I encourage him to continue, and I honestly don't think he is responsible for abandoning past promises. Let's see how he does with new ones.

1. Educate them; they actually might not know. Here are general guidelines for users and for the Forum, but not the Blog:
https://www.mywot.com/guidelines
There should be some guidelines for the Blog: in one of spectre's example articles, Staff did post a live link to an untrusted site.

2. Moderators should have full authority over the Blog - I seriously doubt this will enable them to take down the internet. They should be able to hide an entire article on an "In Case Of Fire: Break Glass" basis. If they can edit Forum posts, they should also be able to edit Blog posts; their discretion has already been amply demonstrated.
____

To Staff:

Before the Great Vacuum, we had more Moderators; those (two?) remaining deserve, at the very least, praise "up one side and down the other". In addition to the Forum, they should be able to alter or remove spam in scorecards, the Wiki, and the Blog, and they should be able to, at least temporarily, freeze (if not ban) the accounts of obviously spamming members. And they need help, because WoT's high page rank makes it a spam magnet.

WoT has always been dead serious about safety, so live links to anywhere except *.mywot.com are discouraged. Generally, blogs are good advertising; they are informative, breezy, fluid presentations that attract the search engines that attract the visitors. It is commonly accepted practice in conversational media to capitalize on fluidity by incorporating live links to other resources in line with the text, using an artifice specifically designed for it: the hyperlink.

However, automatically disabling live links to external targets need not dissuade search engines nor visitors if those link addresses were simply posted on a separate line following the relevant text, as full disclosure. Likewise in the Forum and scorecards, live links outside of WoT should automatically be disabled, and the system should not crop, shorten, or otherwise parse links so their targets cannot be discovered.

MarkGiles

Re: MRT limited submission rate

Post by MarkGiles » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 am

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 am
If the user has 5K domains, manually copying/pasting, and then deleting, 100 at a time in the input box - not to mention waiting several minutes between sets - is unnecessary overhead.
PROBLEM 1. The mass delete function no longer exists. That is a known problem that I have been assured will be addressed.
In the mean time, I have right now 2,700 reviews of illegal domains that I have made over many months. These domains are no longer illegal, either because the ISP has taken them down, or the registrar has placed them on hold, or they have expired.

PROBLEM 2. Since I cannot delete my 2,700 obsolete ratings, I can use MRT to replace the review message, and to remove the categories.
I write a routine to select domains 1-100 and paste them into MRT and submit, then domains 101-200 and paste and submit. This would require 27 iterations.

However, the actual MRT limited submission rate problem being discussed here, of 1 submission of 100 every 10 minutes, makes this a 4 1/2 hour job.

That is not what the documented submission rate limitation of 1000 domains every 10 minutes would offer.