Would I have a virus?

Security_Wiz

Would I have a virus?

Post by Security_Wiz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 am

Hi,

So recently I clicked on a website about urban legends and I got a pop-up, even though I have a pop up blocker. I checked the website the pop up went to and it was a poorly rated website (casalemedia or something) so I was wondering will I get a virus if I deleted my cookies and cleared my cache. I'm on a Mac OS 10.5.7 and running iAntiVirus but I think that only checks for Mac viruses. Will I be okay, and how will I know if I get a PC virus? I don't want to have any, no matter what they do, and I don't want my PC friends to get it, if there even is an it.

Thanks! :)

phantazm

Get a second opinion...

Post by phantazm » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 am

"Will I be okay, and how will I know if I get a PC virus?"

If in doubt, you could always try an online scanner to get a 'second opinion' .
They only need to run once, and require no installation
(and therefore no uninstalling)...

evilfantasy

RE: "I'm on a Mac OS 10.5.7"

Post by evilfantasy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:55 am

If your on a Mac then I highly doubt you got a virus. Casalemedia is an advertising company and many websites use them. Although the respectable websites choose not to use their pop-ups since people in general associate pop-ups with malware. Pop-ups are not always malicious. Some are just over an aggressive/rouge (and very annoying) advertising tactic.

You may also find tracking cookies on your computer from casalemedia.com but again it doesn't mean you got infected. Just that your browser accepts cookies.

Jazspeak

Re: Mac OS and PC virus

Post by Jazspeak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 pm

It is highly unlikely that any PC virus will run on a Mac OS since the operating systems are radically different. Whatever your OS you should have proper protection, which should include a decent anti-virus scanner and an effective firewall.

c۞g

re: Would I have a virus

Post by c۞g » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Absolutely!
please make arrangements to give me your computer.

*whistles*
;)
-------
WOT Services Ltd. - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
- G7W

Warxas

I think his point was

Post by Warxas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 pm

He didn't want a PC virus to spread from his computer, to one of his friends computers, who have PC's.

Not that he was infected with a PC virus.

But yes, I agree with evilfantasy, a casalemedia most likely wouldn't infect you. PC or Mac. :D