Immunet Free Cloud-AV

Nulander

Here there's some images of

Post by Nulander » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 am

Here there's some images of the new Immunet Free AV version 2.0: http://twitpic.com/photos/immunet

> Presumably one user gets infected and the Immunet logs the infection and updates all of the other users' signature files.

The fact is that Immunet should know if the infection is going on, in order to distinct it from a FP, and this need a sort of proactive protection on it. Even because, what happend if the malware start to hook the system-calls? You know, some malware out there cause real system meltdowns to occur.

Probably there's some heuristic behavior monitor that use a sort of internal engine in order to produce a behavior-pattern shared around the cloud, but what exacly assure that such informations belong to an effective infection and not only to a malware-like-innocent activity?

> I guess the ideal use of Immunet would be to have one or two dedicated users in each and very virtual network who spend most of
> their time finding malware and updating everyone else's signature files in that network.

IMHO they're harvesting data, in this manner, in order to catch some passionate malware-hunters, collect their data and then push an enterprise solution. This is just a my consideration from what I see. There's some strange cloudy points in all the story here.

-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

As I understand it, Cloud

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:00 pm

As I understand it, Cloud Av's are the future in combatting threats.The old traditional methods employed (although still great) are becoming slowly obsoletedue to the restriction placed on users where they have to rely on one or two vendors for signature files and detections by the companies concerned. With Cloud Av these companies (a few are going this way including Panda) are utilising the threat data of thousands of users to help give greater protection to all. Cloud AV will eventually have these companies giving greater protection to all without really changing their current methods as people in the cloud help protect eachother no matter what AV software they use. The more users with different Avs running the higher the recognised threats giving more security.

Lets no knock this system as times change and we as users need to adapt to stay safe from the parasites that want to screw us over.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

Jazspeak

Re: "but who identify the malware"

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Presumably one user gets infected and the Immunet logs the infection and updates all of the other users' signature files. At least this would mean that only one person in a virtual network gets infected and everyone else gets immunised.

I guess the ideal use of Immunet would be to have one or two dedicated users in each and every virtual network who spend most of their time finding malware and updating everyone else's signature files in that network.

Edit: spelling correction.

Tonor

Offline scanning

Post by Tonor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Some cloud-based technologies will download a subset of the database to be stored locally on your machine for offline scanning.

Tonor

Panda Research blog on arguments against cloud AVs

Post by Tonor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Panda Research had an interesting article on their blog about cloud technologies:

http://research.pandasecurity.com/arguments-against-cloud-based-antivirus

Nulander

---

Post by Nulander » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Thank you very much for the link Tonor. The lecture is very interesting :)))
-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

Jazspeak

Echo

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Yes, interesting but still left some important questions unanswered.

It probably ought to be noted that an in-the-cloud antimalware protection is not the same as using other in-the-cloud technology that gives the impression that personal letters, and such, will just float around in some undefined aether, even though the reality is that all data has to be stored on physical drives but the in-the-cloud user has no idea where that data might be being stored, and by whom.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:23 am

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=16109&view=findpost&p=106187

Regards
Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Meat_Wagon

Cloudy Stuff.

Post by Meat_Wagon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 am

The concept of cloud bug screening is to shoot data through a larger data base of known bugs filtering it,
and those who act like bugs or are bugs get zapped.
I tried the Panda Cloud install, it was rating ad ware & resident cookies as major threats, auto blocking whole domains like
the ones we all use to surf the net, and when I went to load a familiar URL all I got was a blank page. Even .gov sites!
I agree with the above comments, the Panda was not a Beta & turned my browsers into a non-working FF, MSIE-8, Opera voids.
If this cloud is a Beta, then U may B Beta-off leaving it and other clouds alone until the relatively new technology comes out
with a standard of trust, catches/blocks or kills the bugs and does not disable your browser of choice,
My 2-cents,

M_W

Thanks for that MysteryFCM.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks for that MysteryFCM. I didn't realise this before I did the install and was horrified to see that no option was given to deselect the hateful ASK toolbar. Just spent the last few minutes trying to remove the toolbar from my browser etc and restore things to my previous settings. Grrrrr.

The program itself seems ok but still a long way to go before it will be as good as many other AVs on the market. See the review at: http://issviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1457.

With the above in mind, I will be uninstalling this very soon.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.